orthopod or orthopedist???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medical22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
what is the correct term for someone who specializes in orthopedics----is it orthopod? or orthopedist?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say orthopedic surgeon. More formal and doesn't confuse anyone.

Orthopedist may be confused by lay population with orthotist, and orthopod is pretty much just slang as far as I know.

-J

orthopedics or orthopaedics?

Members don't see this ad :)
fpr85 said:
orthopedics or orthopaedics?

Orthopaedics is British, -pedics is American (i.e. the right way to spell it).

J/k, I don't think it matters as long as you're consistent; and write: paediatrics, oestrogen, tumour, rationalise, or something equally ridiculous.

centimeter or "sawn-timeter"?

I've never understood how anyone would think to say "sawnt-imeter". But they don't change the pronunciation of other words that rhyme with "cent". Do they "rawnt" an apartment? Do they put a "dawnt" in their cars when they bump into a mailbox? When they go camping do they sleep in a "tawt"? Etc. etc.

PEE-can or pe-CAHN? I never heard PEE-can until I visited some yankee friends. I told them that a PEE-can is what I keep under the bed.

toofache32 said:
PEE-can or pe-CAHN? I never heard PEE-can until I visited some yankee friends. I told them that a PEE-can is what I keep under the bed.

I actually got into a big discussion about this with people a few weeks ago.

I've heard both before and I don't think think it's a clear cut US versus the world thing. I think some people say both in Canada and the US depending on what region you're in.

In Australia, everyone tends to say PEE-can.....

DOctorJay said:
I'd say orthopedic surgeon. More formal and doesn't confuse anyone.

Orthopedist may be confused by lay population with orthotist, and orthopod is pretty much just slang as far as I know.

-J
I'm glad someone posted this question because I've also wondered about the appropriate terminology.

Are all Orthopedic doctors considered orthopedic surgeons?

pharmagirl said:
I'm glad someone posted this question because I've also wondered about the appropriate terminology.

Are all Orthopedic doctors considered orthopedic surgeons?

Orthopedists and orthopedic surgeons are the same thing.

I'm not sure which term I like better.

But as was stated earlier the general poplulation may confuse orthopedist with orthodontist or something. But I don't really care, the general population gets confused about everything.

there are non-operative orthopedists out there but generally they are orthopedic surgeons who no longer operate so at one time they probably were a surgeon. Anyone else who tells you they're an orthopedist and never performed surgery is suspect in my book.

-J

Way too much thought into this question - Sorry.

Just realize that the dudes who take high power saws and drills, hammers and nails, and other potentially damaging items into a room with the intention to alter a person's anatomy in a major way is pretty darn cool.

What ever you call him, ie: orthopaedic/orthopedic surgeon, orthopedist, orthopod, or whatever, it should probably be preceded by "Sir."

This is what is important.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would have to agree with most of what has been said. Orthopaedic surgeons (Even though the "a" is used in Britain I like it better) are the real deal. Orthopod is slang. Orthopodic Surgerizer is better. I have met some docs who are sports medicine fellowship trained (family practice) who call themselves non-operative orthopedists. At any rate the "Sir" comment is very accurate.

Be careful dobonedoc...the most bada$$ orthopedic surgeon I know is a woman, and she would not take kindly to being called sir...

dobonedoc said:

Just realize that the dudes who take high power saws and drills, hammers and nails, and other potentially damaging items into a room with the intention to alter a person's anatomy in a major way is pretty darn cool.

What ever you call him, ie: orthopaedic/orthopedic surgeon, orthopedist, orthopod, or whatever, it should probably be preceded by "Sir."

dobonedoc said:

I agree with this.....

On a side note, I like the 'A' in orthopaedics. It gives it an academic feel. Even though most of us drill, saw, nail and screw, it makes us feel S-M-R-T to have the old english spelling.

For the hard-core etymologist, 'orthopaedics' actually comes from the Greek 'ortho-' for 'straight' and 'paideia' for children. Hence, we are doctors that make straight children--a throwback to the days of rickets and scoliosis. Cool, huh?

I assume that the orthopedic/orthopaedic variations are also applied to the field, as it is the person?
Sent an e-mail about a week ago to one of the orthopaedic surgeons here, trying to view a joint replacement procedure, and realized after I wrote it that I may have misspelled "orthopaedic surgery."
Is there one that is preferred when talking about the field itself, or do the same rules apply?
It's way too early to start looking like an a$$, I have a feeling that I will be taking care of that enough in the near future as it is. :D

toofache32 said:
I've never understood how anyone would think to say "sawnt-imeter". But they don't change the pronunciation of other words that rhyme with "cent". Do they "rawnt" an apartment? Do they put a "dawnt" in their cars when they bump into a mailbox? When they go camping do they sleep in a "tawt"? Etc. etc.

What I don't understand is "alum-inium" AKA aluminum. Goofy bastards

Is it proper for a person who did a sports medicine fellowship to call himself an orthopedist?

cg2a93 said:
Is it proper for a person who did a sports medicine fellowship to call himself an orthopedist?

No. Unless you are a surgeon, don't say you are an orthopedist. To most of the world, the word 'orthopaedic' is follolowed by the word 'surgeon', hence...

Sports med guys (FP) are cool, but they don't operate. That's just how it is.

Just say, "Athletic Physician". That is accurate and not misleading.

moquito_17 said:
No. Unless you are a surgeon, don't say you are an orthopedist. To most of the word, the word 'orthopaedic' is follolowed by the word 'surgeon', hence...

Sports med guys (FP) are cool, but they don't operate. That's just how it is.

Just say, "Athletic Physician". That is accurate and not misleading.

What if you spend all your day sitting on the couch drinking beer and watching TV? :p

Seriously though, I agree that you shouldn't use the term orthopaedic in any sense unless you are a surgeon.

medical22 said:
what is the correct term for someone who specializes in orthopedics----is it orthopod? or orthopedist?

I believe that an Orthopod is an Orthopaedist who does surgery primarily on the foot and ankle. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The above is incorrect, Orthopod is slang for Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Apollyon said:
Ruhf instead of "rooof"
Crick instead of "creeek"

Just a few upstate NYisms that I still say.

A side note...
Crick is reserved for the small streams with good flow (sometimes seasonal), and possible to leap over in one bound. Creek designates the traditional small stream capable of supporting fish, yet too big to leap over.

goodrain said:
A side note...
Crick is reserved for the small streams with good flow (sometimes seasonal), and possible to leap over in one bound. Creek designates the traditional small stream capable of supporting fish, yet too big to leap over.
Such are the difficulties of being a Yankee.