Orthopedist vs. Podiatrist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dr_Feelgood said:
Also, good luck becoming an orthopod you had better stop wasting your time on SDN or you'll be a FP like familymd.

:sleep:

i'm not a student, and i'm certainly not an orthopod. what your childish comments have to do with someone wearing a badge that lies about what their credentials are i have no idea.

Members don't see this ad.

JointDocMD said:
:sleep:

i'm not a student, and i'm certainly not an orthopod. what your childish comments have to do with someone wearing a badge that lies about what their credentials are i have no idea.

Take it easy on the guy. How else is a guy with a 3.0gpa and a 21 MCAT going to get other people to call him "doctor"?

Members don't see this ad :)
eyeful said:
Take it easy on the guy. How else is a guy with a 3.0gpa and a 21 MCAT going to get other people to call him "doctor"?

and i suppose you have a copy of his transcript and came up with the conclusion that he is a 3.0 student and a 21 MCAT - That's pretty sweet, can you do any other tricks?

Podman said:
and i suppose you have a copy of his transcript and came up with the conclusion that he is a 3.0 student and a 21 MCAT - That's pretty sweet, can you do any other tricks?

http://www.dmu.edu/cpms/admissions/profile/

You're right, the average science at his school is a 3.08 GPA, 3.37 overall

http://www.dmu.edu/cpms/faq/

And 22 MCAT

It was an educated guess, and close enough dont you think?
Interestingly, your school's average overall GPA is 3.08, the same as DMU's science GPA average.

eyeful said:

And 22 MCAT

Interestingly, your school's average overall GPA is 3.08, the same as DMU's science GPA average.

This guy isn't worth the crabs that he caught from the rough trick named Jim. :laugh:

Don't be made that a 3.0, 22 is going to make more than you. That is life, and I hope that law passes so you and Jim can finally be happy. I'm sure your dad will come around soon. (No need to take your anger out on us though)

IlizaRob said:
While I agree to "kill this talk" (I dont know how we always seem to get into pissing contests)

Because people here are to sensitive and refuse to abscond from the horse crap
dished by others. How will you guys function in a hospital where the ortho or ER doc might not like you because of your DPM or DO. You guys let internet masked MD, DO, DDS, premed a-holes screw with you. Have some freakin balls folks! All these supposed ortho-gods who will take the foot & ankle away, kiss my a$$.

ProdPod said:
Because people here are to sensitive and refuse to abscond from the horse crap
dished by others. How will you guys function in a hospital where the ortho or ER doc might not like you because of your DPM or DO. You guys let internet masked MD, DO, DDS, premed a-holes screw with you. Have some freakin balls folks! All these supposed ortho-gods who will take the foot & ankle away, kiss my a$$.
I just want to know if that is pot on your avatar.

eyeful said:

And 22 MCAT

This guy really should talk here is his school

Overall GPA 3.45. WOW, a .08 difference
MCAT 27.

http://www.westernu.edu/xp/edu/admissions/do_profile.xml

Here's a few comments I found about your school.

The inability of the students to provide us with board pass rates and residency placements (not provided by administration). They claim that the school keeps those quiet. The high drop out rate of MS1's.

http://www.studentdoctor.net/interview/show_entry.asp?ID=8050

Your school was rated as below average by SDN.

http://www.studentdoctor.net/interview/process_read.asp

Keep throwing stones from your glass house.

Dr_Feelgood said:
This guy really should talk here is his school

Overall GPA 3.45. WOW, a .08 difference
MCAT 27.

http://www.westernu.edu/xp/edu/admissions/do_profile.xml

Here's a few comments I found about your school.

The inability of the students to provide us with board pass rates and residency placements (not provided by administration). They claim that the school keeps those quiet. The high drop out rate of MS1's.

http://www.studentdoctor.net/interview/show_entry.asp?ID=8050

Your school was rated as below average by SDN.

http://www.studentdoctor.net/interview/process_read.asp

Keep throwing stones from your glass house.

That's funny, I don't go to Western, but I'm sure the DO students will be happy to hear that a pod student is bashing them.

But since you're comparing. Why dont you compare Science GPAs at Western? It it a 3.4, significantly higher than 3.08

eyeful said:
That's funny, I don't go to Western, but I'm sure the DO students will be happy to hear that a pod student is bashing them.

But since you're comparing. Why dont you compare Science GPAs at Western? It it a 3.4, significantly higher than 3.08

Sir or Madam,

I'm puzzled as to what exactly are you trying to contribute to this forum or topic or debate - is this a personal issue against dr_feelgood or are you just against podiatrists in general? I'm not going to jump to conclusions but you seem to be stuck on the 3.0 gpa and 22 mcats average for pods - which is fine if you'd like to believe that students who graduate with DPM degrees and land 3-year podiatric surgical residencies (some of which in top medical centers affiliated with top schools around the country - including Yale and stanford) are mere 3.0 students and 22 mcats.

In full honesty, you're more than welcome to post but i ask you to please contribute with a purpose - if you're out here to just instigate based on assumptions and stereotypes (i.e. pod students are "lower" tier) then this will not go far and we'll end up going around circles. My suggestion is that we either conduct a meaningful exchange of discussion or simply refrain from continuing this. I am not speaking on anyone's behalf but this is a professional forum that should be treated with some respect.

Thank you

Podman said:
Sir or Madam,

I'm puzzled as to what exactly are you trying to contribute to this forum or topic or debate - is this a personal issue against dr_feelgood or are you just against podiatrists in general? I'm not going to jump to conclusions but you seem to be stuck on the 3.0 gpa and 22 mcats average for pods - which is fine if you'd like to believe that students who graduate with DPM degrees and land 3-year podiatric surgical residencies (some of which in top medical centers affiliated with top schools around the country - including Yale and stanford) are mere 3.0 students and 22 mcats.

In full honesty, you're more than welcome to post but i ask you to please contribute with a purpose - if you're out here to just instigate based on assumptions and stereotypes (i.e. pod students are "lower" tier) then this will not go far and we'll end up going around circles. My suggestion is that we either conduct a meaningful exchange of discussion or simply refrain from continuing this. I am not speaking on anyone's behalf but this is a professional forum that should be treated with some respect.

Thank you

I am sure there are many intelligent, competent, and highly trained pods out there who I would love to have as a colleague. dr_feelgood, however, is another matter alltogether. He has made multiple references to family practice as the residency that reject MD's go to, which is interesting coming from someone that bristles as the very thought that DPM students are somehow less qualified to practice (foot)medicine than MDs or have a less rigorous curriculum. Regardless of ability, stats are stats, and I find it ridiculous that dr_feelgood feels like he can diss on family practice (or DO's in general for that matter) simply because he gets upset at the slightest reference to said "stereotypes".

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, this continues to be *****ic. ANYONE participating in a discussion about WHICH branch of ANY form of medicine/healthcare has the BEST stats, shouldn't really be in meds to begin with. This isn't NBA scores or scoring races in a sport or ESPN recaps, people!

It doesn't matter to your patients, as has been said 1000 times already! Really, this shows the age of most peeps on here. The competitive thing wears off with age and maturity. Sad to say, many here lack maturity in the worst way.

It seems like most of you deviate from the main topic "Pod. vs. Orthopedist's salary question" and lost the ability to give a mature, professional input as Fossil stated. It went from salary to MD badge to GPA to getting too personal with an SDN members = what an absolute circus :thumbdown: .

Quick Advice to eyeful - if you new to SDN, there is something called private message (PM) - you can take advantage of it instead of showing your childish response in front of everybody. By the way a 4.0 GPA will get you to a top medical school, but trust me it doesn't mean you will become the best doctor and it doesn't mean your patient will like you :eek: .

Podman said:
Sir or Madam,

Thank you

That is a very good post :thumbup:

I believe as a professional specialty we should remain as civil and mature as possible with our other medical counterparts. If someone wants to bash for what legitimate profession we stand for, we should not return a blow with something on the same level. This becomes counter productive when trying to enlight other less informed individuals. I say when someone else wants to throw a punch at our future professions, we should react in the most intelligent way and keep our attitudes in the most professional manner.

eyeful said:
I am sure there are many intelligent, competent, and highly trained pods out there who I would love to have as a colleague. dr_feelgood, however, is another matter alltogether. He has made multiple references to family practice as the residency that reject MD's go to, which is interesting coming from someone that bristles as the very thought that DPM students are somehow less qualified to practice (foot)medicine than MDs or have a less rigorous curriculum. Regardless of ability, stats are stats, and I find it ridiculous that dr_feelgood feels like he can diss on family practice (or DO's in general for that matter) simply because he gets upset at the slightest reference to said "stereotypes".

Hang on here, who came to this forum to insult who? I go tit for tat bud.

Where did I say MDs have less rigorous training?

As for the sterotypes, we get your kind in here all the time. I sterotype right back at anyone who sterotypes us.

Go away.

doclm said:
That is a very good post :thumbup:

I believe as a professional specialty we should remain as civil and mature as possible with our other medical counterparts. If someone wants to bash for what legitimate profession we stand for, we should not return a blow with something on the same level. This becomes counter productive when trying to enlight other less informed individuals. I say when someone else wants to throw a punch at our future professions, we should react in the most intelligent way and keep our attitudes in the most professional manner.

:thumbup:

Dr_Feelgood said:
I just want to know if that is pot on your avatar.

It does look like it. I'm not a tree-hugger though! ;)

Dr. Foot said:
Quick Advice to eyeful - if you new to SDN, there is something called private message (PM) - you can take advantage of it instead of showing your childish response in front of everybody.QUOTE]

Good advice even for the veteran posters who sometimes forget that responding to an ignorant post only falsely validates it. :thumbup:

gustydoc said:
Good advice even for the veteran posters who sometimes forget that responding to an ignorant post only falsely validates it. :thumbup:

Are you talking to me? :D

Dr_Feelgood said:
Are you talking to me? :D

course not :D I'm just speaking generally. If no one responds to some of these trolls they won't get the attention they crave and should just fade back into obscurity. It can be hard when someone makes a fool of themselves not to call them out on it though.

gustydoc said:
course not :D I'm just speaking generally. If no one responds to some of these trolls they won't get the attention they crave and should just fade back into obscurity. It can be hard when someone makes a fool of themselves not to call them out on it though.

I'm just giving you a hard time.

Dr_Feelgood said:
I'm just giving you a hard time.

I think this is definitely a "hot issue" that doesn't currently seem to have a solution. It stems from the fact that Physicians completely downplay the education of other health providers. Actually, podiatry is not the only field that is bringing up these issues, practically all other fields are claiming the same thing: that they are trained to do more but they are limited by Physicians. Alot is rooted on the fact that we are trained to generally understand the human body more than any other health care professional. See and this is where it gets fuzzy. Yes, we have a big overall picture of all other fields & all medicine, but I emphasize & stress “big picture”. This is why we need residency after medical school. We basically waste 4 years for just that glorious big picture. We do NOT know every damn detail about every single part. Is that even humanly possible? For some reason though, Physicians automatically carry themselves with such arrogance as to think that they know more nursing than a nurse, or more podiatry than a podiatrist & so the list goes on. So yes, MDs should respect the training of other professionals & welcome them as colleagues that can bring significant contributions. I think it was mentioned in one of the previous posts that podiatrists won't be respected until people see them as "equals to MDs". I will tell you that it will never happen. We are 2 completely professions with different functions. Yes there will always be physicians that act like they are better, but, they are in the minority. There are many individuals like myself who realize that we are in the end just students trying to get as far as we can and do our best with our life. That’s what it boils down to. I recommend that you not lower yourself to the standard at which they play the "I am better than you" game. We should all have great satisfaction and happiness to have come this far with our education, geez we're all going to be doctors & in the end none of us can know everything even about our own profession!!!!

LAZYGUY said:
We should all have great satisfaction and happiness to have come this far with our education, geez we're all going to be doctors & in the end none of us can know everything even about our own profession!!!!

I agree. Great post by the way.

True. We're all going to be docs ok. But whiskers won't. He'll end up being the patient.
...the MENTAL patient, that is! :laugh: :laugh: