Orthobiologics verse csi no difference at one year..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoYouEvenLiftBro

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

I trained with Mautner. One of the best in the field of orthobiologics.

Reactions: 1 user
why would he publish in Nature?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just read it. A well done study. I must admit that this definitely dampens my enthusiasm for stem cells.

the benefit for tendons and ligament injections with PRP is fairly established.

However, I would very interested in seeing a similar study for intraarticular injection of PRP.
A similar blinded and powered study.

Last edited:
I just read it. A well done study. I must admit that this definitely dampens my enthusiasm for stem cells.

the benefit for tendons and ligament injections with PRP is fairly established.

However, I would very interested in seeing a similar study for intraarticular injection of PRP.
A similar blinded and powered study.
I am not too terribly often doing PRP for OA. I use it quite a lot for RC tendons, the subacromial bursa and the trochanteric bursa and glute tendons.

Occasional SIJ.

It simply works in the shoulder and trochanter. It just works.

Reactions: 1 users
Wow Nature pub is a big deal, huge impact factor. Mautner's the man. PRP has much more data, and I've really switched away from BMAC/MFAT to only PRP.

I am laughing out loud. Guy I used to work for charged $10,000 for an orthobiologic "stem cell injection". Would tell patients "it really helps a lot of people, can knock pain right out of the park".

CESI would pay about $130.

I don't feel bad for not offering treatments of questionable long term efficacy.

I am not too terribly often doing PRP for OA. I use it quite a lot for RC tendons, the subacromial bursa and the trochanteric bursa and glute tendons.

Occasional SIJ.

It simply works in the shoulder and trochanter. It just works.
Works well in my world for hip labrum as well

Works well in my world for hip labrum as well
I find this fascinating, personally. I had a small labral defect that wasn't a big deal for several months. Probably could have responded to PRP?? I caught it and developed a huge labral tear (1/4 or diameter). The mechanical symptoms were so bad there's no way any secret sauce would have done anything. Choosing the right patient at the right time seems like it would be difficult, particularly with the suboptimal visualization of the structure with both U/S and MR (arthrogram). For reference, my mediocre/fair U/S diagnostic skills easily identified the labral defect I had, but no frame of reference for the severity/amount of labrum involved. The MR arthrogram showed a tear, but poorly classified the size of the tear.

I gave myself PRP in the hip and hip flexor under US guidance. It helped. Did it during my lunch break at work one day.

I've had no hip imaging! Hahaha. I have occasional hip flexor pain if I run a lot. I said screw it and just PRP the tendon and joint.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you inject IA or specifically into the labrum for this?
Fluoro, intra-articular, closer to femoral head than regular IA injection, high concentration pure prp

In my (military) world, we PRP anything and everything. Anecdotally, I can say that we have pretty good success with rotator cuff, medial/lateral epicondyle, greater trochanter, intraarticular hip, and intraarticular knee. We have much worse rates of success with intraarticular shoulder, psoas, intradiscal, sacroiliac joint, and facet joints.

Reactions: 6 users
That would be weird. Have your billing people double check. Tricare doesn’t vary by state.
Neither for me.

We've tried 1M times to get my VA/Tricare pts PRP. Never have been able to do it.

Tricare is strange. In the actually military clinics we can do anything and everything -- nothing ever gets denied. As soon as the patient gets sent off-post, everything gets denied.

Last edited:
I gave myself PRP in the hip and hip flexor under US guidance. It helped. Did it during my lunch break at work one day.

I've had no hip imaging! Hahaha. I have occasional hip flexor pain if I run a lot. I said screw it and just PRP the tendon and joint.
My hero

Did anyone refute this study at the pointy shoe stem cell meeting from a week or two ago that was spamming my LinkedIn? Calling @drusso

Full steam ahead platelet dosing (as wasn’t an arm of the study)

I was poking drusso a bit but about prp “dosing” but agree prp>stem cell on cost benefit

And I am genuinely curious what was said by the gurus regarding seemingly well done (maybe best?) study