orgo question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

issa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
aromatic ring + kmno4/H2SO4 ---------> ???
what is the product?

Members don't see this ad.

Benzene is unaffected by strong oxidizing groups such as KMnO4, so I would say no reaction. Unless there is a substituent present on the aromatic compound, then that would change my answer...

Like if a methyl group were present as a substituent, this would be oxidized to -COOH.

burton117 said:
Benzene is unaffected by strong oxidizing groups such as KMnO4, so I would say no reaction. Unless there is a substituent present on the aromatic compound, then that would change my answer...

Like if a methyl group were present as a substituent, this would be oxidized to -COOH.

this is exactly what i thought.

is it possible for COH to get synthesized instead of COOH if KMNO4/H2SO4 were reacted for a short period of time?

issa said:
is it possible for COH to get synthesized instead of COOH if KMNO4/H2SO4 were reacted for a short period of time?

I don't think so.. I've only been taught that the carboxylic acid forms... But it is no secret that organic chemistry synthesis is an imperfect science...