Orgo Lab II required????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brotherbu

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was just curious. I know my school does not require orgo lab 2 for either a bio degree nor a biochem degree. The premed advisors, who I don't take much for, tell me it isn't required for medical school admissions. Is this class really required for medical school or not (sorry if this is an obvious question, but I just don't know)?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends. Every medical school that I applied to requires two credit hours of Organic lab. If your Orgo I lab is 2 credit hours, then you'll be fine. If it's only one credit hour, then you'll need to take another. Also, you will want to check out the requirements for the particular schools in which you are interested.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

My advisors always told me that while the second organic lab wasn't required for a bio degree, it is required for med schools. I think this is pretty standard, however I'd be MORE than happy to be wrong!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was on the phone with Wayne state which requires two semesters of orgo lab and I asked them if I met the requirements with only one semester of a 3 credit lab and they said it was fine. THey only want two semesteres if it was a one credit lab or a lab included with a course.

Intriguing...so I probably still have to take both though right since I'm on quarters...so 2 quarters of ochem lab at 3 credit hrs a piece...

Intriguing...so I probably still have to take both though right since I'm on quarters...so 2 quarters of ochem lab at 3 credit hrs a piece...

I'm pretty sure thats the case. I think we also have to take the harder ochem lab....254....has a lecture and and almost 8 hours of lab time a week....but who knows for sure...the course system here is confusing...

Logos...I know, 254 and 255, yuck. 8 hrs of lab plus an hr of lecture a week. That isn't going to be much fun!!