Organizational tips?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jinx520

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried this thread in the non-trad forum, but nobody answered. Does anyone have any tips/tricks for organizing their household in order to make school/work easier and maximize their time?

I have a chore chart for the kids on a white board stuck to my kitchen cabinet. I grouped the chores according to zones and made a magnet of each chore group. We rotate chores monthly. I also used to plan my menus weekly and cook extra during the week so I could freeze the meals for hectic days, but since I started working I haven't had much time to keep that up.

I also use my smartphone to keep track of events such as when certain bills are due or appointments, but I hate the Windows Mobile calendar. I used to use a Palm; loved it b/c you could color-code the events, but I haven't figured out how to color code with the Windows mobile. I've ended up missing appointments b/c now every day on my calendar is blue.

As for laundry, I invested in a large-capacity washer and dryer. Gets the job done quickly and I love it, but I haven't figured out a system for putting the clothes away quickly and so we always have a mountain of clean clothes at the bottom of my closet.

Anyone else have anything they would like to share?

Members don't see this ad.

heyy jinx ^ ^ well, i was about to say, "buy less". after all... the less you have, the less organizing's needed. but, since you have kids and i don't.......... i'll just keep my mouth shut :D

Downsize, and then use lots of plastic boxes. They don´t have to be organized inside, but as long as common things are grouped together, you´ll be able to find them, and the stacks look orderly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just outsource the ironing.
I do the laundry myself, but I just cannot find the energy to spend time ironing everything. I used to end up with baskets full of clean wrinkled clothes and nothing ready to put on in the morning. Now I just bring the baskets to an ironing service and for a small fee I can pick them up ironed the next day.

When you have time to cook during the weekend, think BIG. Making a large amount of food doesn't take any longer than making a little. Make 3 times as much as your family normally eats, and freeze the leftovers for 2 future meals. Invest in XL pots and pans for this.

I do increased workloads at school to finish my bachelors a year early, I own an in home daycare, I take care of the house and I have a 4 year old with BOUNDLESS energy. I feel your pain...lol.

I swear by my dry erase board. It is a really big one. I update it weekly with school assignments, upcoming tests etc. I have another section on the board for misc items like "call doctor blablabla" or whatever is needed. I have a small journal that I turned into a dayplanner and I scribble notes in it.

My daughter helps put away laundry...it is great when they help.

I use plastic bins to organize stuff for the munchkins which also makes it easier when I tell them to put it away because they know it has a specific spot. Think of ways to divide up shelfs or cabinets more. Throw away DVD/Bluray cases and just save the discs in a folder. That saves a lot of room which can be turned into effective storage room.

Preplan activities..have the items out the night before and things like that.

crockpot meals are awesome, they make a lot of food which can be reheated and they are easy

If you can buy in bulk do it, that helps me cause I don't run out of things and I can make large portions which turns into left overs. That and I am cheap hehe, I love to save money and with kids that is needed.