Oregon people, has anyone done the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife Externship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knr1527

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done this externship? It looks interesting but it's hard to tell, the website is a little vague.

If you have, tell me all about it please!!!

Members don't see this ad.

It's weird, I can't find a single person who's done this haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Generally, and this is coming from a former wildlife rehabber, anything that involves any state's fish and game or wildlife agency is not very animal-friendly. If you are looking for good experience with wildlife, I suggest finding something with a zoo.

I contacted the Oregon state wildlife vet (he was AAWV president at the time) when I was planning my externship to ask about which state wildlife agencies took vet students. Several of them don't advertise their externships, but can arrange something if you contact the state vet. I wound up going to Idaho (was interested in working there after graduation), and spent my 2 weeks there doing lots of necropsies, helping with the lab work for some ongoing projects, and capturing sage grouse. We were supposed to do deer and/or bighorn sheep capture as well, but the weather wasn't cooperating. They also arranged housing for me within walking distance of the office. Most of the state vets will try to schedule externs when there is capture work, but plans tend to change at the last minute based on department needs, weather, staff/equipment availability, etc.