OREF Medical Student Research Grant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sureshot83

Working for $10/hour
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am an M1, and today I got notification that I won a summer research grant from the Orthopaedics Research and Educational Foundation (OREF), which was set up by the AAOS to be a major research foundation for orthopaedic surgeons in the country. They give awards to all levels of education, from medical student to resident to attending. For this particular award, only ten students in the country receive the grant each year, so I was pretty stoked (and a little stunned) that I won.

My question is whether any of you have received this fellowship before, and how much it does it add to your research credentials when applying to ortho residencies? Worst case, it will fund my summer research position, so I'm going to take the offer anyway, but I was curious as to how "impressive" this would appear on a residency app.

Any help would be appreciated - thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Sureshot83 said:
Hi everyone,

I am an M1, and today I got notification that I won a summer research grant from the Orthopaedics Research and Educational Foundation (OREF), which was set up by the AAOS to be a major research foundation for orthopaedic surgeons in the country. They give awards to all levels of education, from medical student to resident to attending. For this particular award, only ten students in the country receive the grant each year, so I was pretty stoked (and a little stunned) that I won.

My question is whether any of you have received this fellowship before, and how much it does it add to your research credentials when applying to ortho residencies? Worst case, it will fund my summer research position, so I'm going to take the offer anyway, but I was curious as to how "impressive" this would appear on a residency app.

Any help would be appreciated - thanks!

It will help tremendously at academic programs. Of course it depends on whether you actually produce quality work from that funding. If you do, this will be a tremendous boost for you when applying for residencies.