Order of Registering for Classes in college

mathlegend

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In college, do everyone register at the same time, or do people register by their standing (freshman, sophomore, junior, senior)?

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools do it by how many units you have (thus what year you are). So like people with 1-30 units register on this day, 31-50 on this day, etc.

Thanks. So probably whoever has the most units registers first?

And what about incoming freshman for college? Say I'm going to college this fall, but I have enough credits so I'm at a junior standing. Would I still register will the freshman, or have an early registering date as a junior?

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on the school, some schools don't count AP credits for registration purposes, but often classes are reserved for incoming freshmen. I'd ask, or you'll probably get your registration info soon enough! =D

Heh I'm only a sophomore right now :p I think I'll have 62 credits (junior standing) from CC when I enter college!

I don't know if they do it by credit-hours or standing, because the idea behind giving older students first choice is that they need to get into classes to finish their degree that younger students may also be able to take.

We did it by seniority. Seniors got to register first, then juniors, and on down. My senior year, they staggered the registration time within grades by alphabetical groups to reduce server strain.

I registered for the fall last week:

Bio-1 (with lab)
Chem-1 (with lab)
Physics-2 (with lab)
Calc-2 (with lab and supplemental instruction)
Judo (1 credit elective)

I never took AP Bio or AP Chem because I opted to graduate early. I think the above schedule will keep my busy though. lol :thumbup:

We did it by seniority. Seniors got to register first, then juniors, and on down. My senior year, they staggered the registration time within grades by alphabetical groups to reduce server strain.
Senority as in the amount of credits you have or number of years in the school? And do many classes get full fast, or are there usually room by the time freshman/sophomores sign up?

I registered for the fall last week:

Bio-1 (with lab)
Chem-1 (with lab)
Physics-2 (with lab)
Calc-2 (with lab and supplemental instruction)
Judo (1 credit elective)

I never took AP Bio or AP Chem because I opted to graduate early. I think the above schedule will keep my busy though. lol :thumbup:
Dang, you will be busy. What's that, 20 credits? And judo is awesome :)

Seniority as in how many years you've been at the school, though you could apply for standing in the class ahead of yours. Some classes fill quickly, but there was never any danger of not being able to get the classes you needed to graduate. You just might get stuck in a crappy time slot that nobody else wanted. If an upper-level class that you wanted to take closed/filled, an email to the professor was pretty much all you needed to get in. The system worked pretty well, I'd say.

That sounds awesome. :) I was worrying about not graduating in time, due to demands for some popular classes or something.

You will probably schedule as a freshman since the sophomore probably schedule before you even graduate high school.

Ah, I see. Thanks

No problem. I came in to school maybe like 2/3 of the way to being a sophomore so after that first quarter, I got to schedule early. It was nice :)

Depending on the school, some schools give first consideration to majors, then seniority (in other words, a non-major senior might not get in if the class is required in the major for a junior.)

Some schools do not have restrictions on classes. I went to a small enough college that classes were not restricted and we still had very small classes (if classes grew too large during registration, another section would be created.)

Like most schools, I would imagine, mine does it by credit hours. AP credits do count there. Also, if you are in the Honors College, LSU Ambassadors, a note taker for Disability Services, etc., you get priority scheduling (first possible day). I've never scheduled when my credit hours have me placed. :love: for the Honors College.