Order of education to become a surgeon?

R2ski2

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this the order of education to becoming a surgeon?

-high school
-university (4 yrs)
-med school (4 yrs)
-residency (3-7 yrs)
-surgeon

I know the amount of time may vary depending on if you switch focuses, fellowship, etc.

Do you usually go to med school for 4 yrs though? Also, do you have to go to med school the same place you go to university at?

And if you wanted to add, what are some good Universities in the northwest for Pre-Med?

Thanks for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Order: Yes, but like you said add fellowship for another (potential) 1-3y after residency.

4 years: Yes, almost always, except for a handful of programs that let you skip a year if you commit to going into a particular specialty. These may be more common by the time you reach this stage, but you should bet on 4 years.

Same med school/college: Definitely not. It is hard to get into any med school, including the med school of whichever university you attend for college.

Not familiar with the NW, sorry!

Is this the order of education to becoming a surgeon?

-high school
-university (4 yrs)
-med school (4 yrs)
-residency (3-7 yrs)
-surgeon

I know the amount of time may vary depending on if you switch focuses, fellowship, etc.

Do you usually go to med school for 4 yrs though? Also, do you have to go to med school the same place you go to university at?

And if you wanted to add, what are some good Universities in the northwest for Pre-Med?

Thanks for your time!
If you're planning to go into surgery, you're going to also probably need to consider the years in a fellowship when adding up the amount of education you need.

As longhaul3 said, getting into medical school is incredibly tough and it's not easy to get into the medical school of your undergraduate institution.

As for medical schools in the PNW (I'm assuming you're a U.S. resident) it depends on whether you're considering MD or DO. I'll list all the MD/DO schools in the PNW.

MD:
  • WA: UW, WSU
  • ID: None
  • OR: OHSU
DO:
  • WA: PNWU-COM
  • ID:None
  • OR: WesternU-COMP

Depending on the surgery residency you choose, you are looking at a minimum of 5 years for your residency; general surgery, orthopedics, ENT, urology, etc are all 5 years. With research years (sometimes optional sometimes not eg neurosurgery), this can increase to as many as 7 years. Surgical fellowships are 1-3 years depending on the area.