Oral Boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

new-eye

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
In applying for the oral boards I was given the dates June 5-7 (Chicago, 2009). When would I find out the specific date of my test? Is it soon enough to wait to book a hotel, flight, etc or should I expect to eat an extra day in a hotel.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm thinking I found out about a month after the registration deadline. Can't remember for sure. But, in Chicago I wouldn't worry about it. There are so many hotels that I would just wait and book a room later once you find out your date. That said, get there a day early and relax. I would highly advise the Osler course right before too. It gets you in the frame of mind for taking the exam. Orals are so different from Writtens. Having the routine drilled into you at the Osler was very useful for me.

I agree about the Osler course. It was extremely helpful.

As for the day/time, consider your last name. When I took my orals, I was Saturday morning. One of my classmates whose last name starts with 'K' was Saturday afternoon. A couple of my friends in the W-Y range were Sunday morning.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a guy with "P" who was Sat AM, and an "A" who was Sun AM. I wouldn't give the Board credit for being that organized.

I know a guy with "P" who was Sat AM, and an "A" who was Sun AM. I wouldn't give the Board credit for being that organized.

Sometimes people get it moved by requesting a certain day (with legitimate reason for the request). If that happens, someone gets bumped to a different time slot.
Anyway, I never said it was a hard and fast rule, but I do think it's a useful rough guide.
Unless, of course, the flip the order sometimes. We'd probably have to find someone who's taken it more than once to find that out.

First post in 2 and a half years :)

Does anyone know how they assign the time that you take the oral boards? I just took the writtens and I was curious as to whether I would be taking my orals this November or next June. I live in Michigan and have been told that it depends on your mailing address, but that it varies by year.

Unless things change, you will be assigned to a site with everyone else in the "eastern" US. This year it is in Chicago and the dates are in June. I would assume that you will also be in June since you are in the "east". You can not change your assigment (trust me - I tried). I'm not sure where it will be next year.

Unless things change, you will be assigned to a site with everyone else in the "eastern" US. This year it is in Chicago and the dates are in June. I would assume that you will also be in June since you are in the "east". You can not change your assigment (trust me - I tried). I'm not sure where it will be next year.

I've heard that it rotates, though. I was assuming, that since the "eastern" people took it late this year (June rather than November), that next year the eastern people would take it on the earlier of the two dates (November rather than June). I just didn't know if the rotation existed or worked that simply.