Oral Boards pass rate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anon747

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It looks like there was a big jump on pass rate in the most recent test administration. Failure rate went from 30% to 12.5%. Any idea why such a huge change?

Members don't see this ad.

Because it is an artificial test without a true purpose, and the ABO "felt bad" about failing residents during a pandemic when they would have happily failed the additional 17.5% in another year?

Because it is an artificial test without a true purpose, and the ABO "felt bad" about failing residents during a pandemic when they would have happily failed the additional 17.5% in another year?
Nice, well hopefully some of that sentiment still carries forward to the test next month.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There is probably some degree of subjective fluctuation. I felt like my examiners were fair. I’ve heard in the past of people failing because of one tough examiner. Perhaps there are fewer examiners that are tough? Perhaps the examiners were more standardized? It’s also possible that this is normal statistical variance, and it will fluctuate back down this month.

They sure didn't feel bad failing people on the written. Fail rate jumped from like 1% to almost 20% last year. But I think it's probably true that face to face, examiners had a bit more compassion.

Maybe the boards have figured out alternative ways to make more money, since that seems to be the primary purpose of these examinations

So I know you have to pass written boards to take oral boards, but is it possible to take both within the same year?