Oral Board (2019) schedule different, changed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Twoeyes2020

Reaction score
Looks like the oral boards are scheduled for Friday am or pm, Saturday am or pm, and Sunday am (mid-September). Some people will have to do their pre-exam formalities, like name badge pick up, on Thursday. I thought it used to be Saturday and Sunday? Maybe the examiner/examinee ratio is causing this or maybe fewer examiners can do it on Sunday because they have to go home?

This schedule conflicts with the Osler course, which is Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

If anyone wants to do some joint cooperation, such as Uber or taxi from the Osler course to the exam hotel or want to have some cooperation studying, let me know. Those who have taken the orals before and want to wish us luck or make comments, feel free to do so.

Members don't see this ad.

I have thought through these upcoming oral boards and would be happy to share some ideas with fellow examinees. One example would be how we're going to get ready for the exam and transportation planning. Looks like they are giving it in a new location. Not entirely new because it was used for the first time in June, an airport hotel rather than in downtown. I wonder if airport noise will be a problem?

I believe that the September 2019 oral boards will take place as in the past, with one session Saturday morning, one Saturday afternoon and one Sunday morning. Candidates should know by now as to which session they have been assigned. The exam was held at the same venue this last June. The hotel is a very pleasant four star venue, with free shuttle service to and from O'Hare. There is no airport noise when one is within the hotel. There are other hotels nearby and there are many eating choices nearby. This venue is far more convenient for candidates with regard to travel and cost when compared to other sites such as downtown SF or Cambridge, MA. Starting in 2020 the oral boards will be held only once a year, in March and will take place in the metro Phoenix area.

Members don't see this ad :)
There has been a change from estes8000's experiences. The board has scheduled some oral examinations on Friday.

As far as cost, I believe it is about $50 cheaper for examinees compared to downtown Chicago, based on hotel rates being a little lower. The ABO group rate for the Westin is $169 + tax. One organization holding a meeting there was able to negotiate a group rate of $129 + tax but the Westin might have thought that they can get more out of them rich doctors. Still, $169 is an excellent rate for a Westin.

Pemberton is a book that many people use. It has 113 cases. Today, I started to add some cases of my own. Just a very brief outline, not as long as Pemberton answers. Anyone do the same or want to compare ideas?

5-6 weeks to go. How are people studying on an average day?

a. sometimes skip a day.
b. several hours a night, some in the early morning, a lot
c. reading bits during the work day, talking aloud in the evening (part of the evening)
d. you already know it, you just need to be able to speak English and maybe flip through the Wills Eye Manual a few days before the exam. They just want to make sure you're not dangerous.

I firmly believe answer d is very wrong.

Take this exam seriously. Many people I know who aced the Writtens have failed the Orals. It is a very expensive process/racket.

Take this exam seriously. Many people I know who aced the Writtens have failed the Orals. It is a very expensive process/racket.
I know. I am just short of panic mode. I have a grand plan but not enough time to do that plan.

Stupid question but if one passes written, then fails orals... do they to retake written, or just retake oral until they pass?

Stupid question but if one passes written, then fails orals... do they to retake written, or just retake oral until they pass?
They can get kicked out of the hospital and insurance panels and suffer career harm. Then they try to retake the oral exam.

Just re-take the Orals.

It used to be the case that if you failed the Orals 3x, then you were made to restart the ENTIRE process over again (i.e. take the WQE). But I believe they changed this to be less punitive (i.e. just take the Oral until you pass it).

Just re-take the Orals.

It used to be the case that if you failed the Orals 3x, then you were made to restart the ENTIRE process over again (i.e. take the WQE). But I believe they changed this to be less punitive (i.e. just take the Oral until you pass it).

Yes, this. ABO has changed policy so that you have 5 tries on the Oral before you retake the written, but you only have a 5 year period To get certified to avoid applicants kicking this down the road.

As others have said, take it seriously. It’s a pain but it’s worth it.

Thanks everyone. :)I am assuming the oral has a worst pass rate than the written? What is the pass rate for the written?

Thanks everyone. :)I am assuming the oral has a worst pass rate than the written? What is the pass rate for the written?
The pass rate for the written is about 75, maybe 77%. The pass rate for the orals is about 80%.

If you fail the written, you may be doomed because the pass rate for re-takers is about 35-40%. Very dismal. You can keep studying and keep failing.

If you fail the orals, the pass rate for re-takers is roughly 70-75%. That suggests that most of the knowledge is there but one polishes up on speaking and polishes a little on knowledge.

The boards have said that they are moving to give the exam earlier in one's education. Instead of March after graduation, the writtens are given in September, 2.5 months after finishing residency. This is to boost the pass rate. (That's their conclusion and maybe correct). The orals are then given 3.5 months after the written results are back to boost the pass rate. They imply that oldsters can't pass. Maybe that means that if the written and orals were given as MOC exams, the failure rate would be very high???

In Canada, they give the written and oral exams around the time of graduation. The pass rate is about 98-99%. They also don't want to flunk people, unlike in the US boards. According to the logic of the US boards, the early schedule in Canada helps as residents don't have a chance to get dementia before the boards.

Those who have taken the orals before and want to wish us luck or make comments, feel free to do so.

Comments: Its the worst thing youll ever do in your life. Brutal honesty to prepare you. But also lots of luck to you!

I know. I am just short of panic mode. I have a grand plan but not enough time to do that plan.

You can plan all you want, I remember the first time flying to SF for my first try and months of preparation behind me, plan was all set, and I got demolished. You wont know what to expect until you take it.

It took me 3 tries to pass the orals. The written is no comparison as it is objective. Orals are purely subjective, albeit theres a list of objective points the examiners are supposed to follow. As last I knew when I took it for the third time in 2017 and passed, I still had two more tries (so 5 total attempts) before having to reset the whole process and do written again.