Oral and maxillofacial radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Screwtape

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently had a few encounters with some oral and maxillofacial radiologists and I'm just wondering how they fit in with medical radiologists and such in the hospital or academic center. Is there complete overlap with radiologists and OMF radiologists in regards to head and neck imaging? Are OMF better, for lack of a better word, at head and neck? Or just the more dental related images?

Members don't see this ad.

I have never met one in the wild. Here all maxillofacial and head/neck CT and MR is interpreted by neuroradiologists. I assume that's the same for a lot (most?) of academic centers. I'm sure OMFS independently reviews their cases as well.

No idea where OMF radiologists fit in to the scheme. You might ask the dentists but I assume they read referral cases as consultants.

What the heck is oral and maxillofacial radiology?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Lol it's a dental specialty (usually about 3 years of training post dental school). But this thread confirmed my perception, OMFR is a very niche field and not really known outside of the dental field. Thanks everyone!
I also had never heard of this, and spent a fair bit of time reading about it last night. Seems like a very cool field.