optometry schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daffodil0712

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I was just in the midst of deciding which optometry schools to apply to. And it would be really helpful if any of you guys could provide some of the benefits in going to certain ones in the US/Canada. Good luck with apps.

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

daffodil0712 said:
Hey guys

I was just in the midst of deciding which optometry schools to apply to. And it would be really helpful if any of you guys could provide some of the benefits in going to certain ones in the US/Canada. Good luck with apps.

Thank you so much!

Check out this link if you haven't already: http://www.opted.org/info_links.cfm

OK. First off, where do you live? Do you have any schools located in your state? If you do, look at whether they are public or private, and whether you would get cheaper tuition or not. Next, where do you want to live? Are there any areas of the country that you would not consider moving to? Based on your answers to these questions, come up with a list of "maybe" schools. From there, you need to research each school individually. Compare the list of prereqs you have completed with what each school requires. For example, I HATE Organic Chemistry. As such, I limited my schools to those that accepted a one semester survey course as opposed to the full year. Go to their website, read about their school and curriculum and their "claim to fame". What are you really concerned with? Class size? Clinical patient base? Research? Keep asking yourself these kinds of questions until you get to a number you feel comfortable applying to. Take into account that each application costs money and time. If you get an interview, you will have to fly there meaning you lose more money and more time.

Spend some time going through this forum and reading about each school. In the end, you learn essentially the same thing at every school, so it is your personal preference that will determine the "best" school for you. Good luck! :luck:

prettygreeneyes said:
Check out this link if you haven't already: http://www.opted.org/info_links.cfm

OK. First off, where do you live? Do you have any schools located in your state? If you do, look at whether they are public or private, and whether you would get cheaper tuition or not. Next, where do you want to live? Are there any areas of the country that you would not consider moving to? Based on your answers to these questions, come up with a list of "maybe" schools. From there, you need to research each school individually. Compare the list of prereqs you have completed with what each school requires. For example, I HATE Organic Chemistry. As such, I limited my schools to those that accepted a one semester survey course as opposed to the full year. Go to their website, read about their school and curriculum and their "claim to fame". What are you really concerned with? Class size? Clinical patient base? Research? Keep asking yourself these kinds of questions until you get to a number you feel comfortable applying to. Take into account that each application costs money and time. If you get an interview, you will have to fly there meaning you lose more money and more time.

Spend some time going through this forum and reading about each school. In the end, you learn essentially the same thing at every school, so it is your personal preference that will determine the "best" school for you. Good luck! :luck:

you covered it all! i would just add to also think about schools that are attahed to big universities (UC Berkeley, Indiana U, Ohio State etc.). that does add a little extra fun in your down times.