Optometry School vs Undergrad: Lifestyle, studying, etc

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyelovepuns

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I am on track to graduate from undergrad this spring and then start optometry school year 1 in the fall of 2018 and I'm really looking forward to it! I'm wondering, though, how is life as an optometry student different than being an undergrad? I know that there will be a greater course load and more study time associated with that, but how is the formatting different?

Also, this may seem like a silly question but what do optometry students usually wear to class or clinic? Do you have more formal events or conferences to go to?

Finally, how do you manage studying while still having time for yourself to exercise/stay healthy and have somewhat of a social life as a professional student? Any tips?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi!

I am on track to graduate from undergrad this spring and then start optometry school year 1 in the fall of 2018 and I'm really looking forward to it! I'm wondering, though, how is life as an optometry student different than being an undergrad? I know that there will be a greater course load and more study time associated with that, but how is the formatting different?

Also, this may seem like a silly question but what do optometry students usually wear to class or clinic? Do you have more formal events or conferences to go to?

Finally, how do you manage studying while still having time for yourself to exercise/stay healthy and have somewhat of a social life as a professional student? Any tips?

Thanks!
The first 2 years will be pretty intense on studying usually, and it ramps up when you take your board exams. I found that my grades actually got better and I studied less as the years went on because I became more efficient. Everyone has different study styles so you have to find what works for you.

Most schools are scrubs or formal clothes. So it depends on which one you go to.

And I felt like I had enough time for social life and working out. It is different if you have a wife and kids. But as you get more efficient at studying your social life can expand a little bit. You will be busy with studying/ labs though.

Reactions: 1 user