Optometry School Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oatstudentadvice

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I took my OAT recently and these are my scores:
QR: 380
RC: 370
Biology: 300
GC: 300
OC: 270
Physics: 260
TS: 280/AA: 310

As you can see, Ochem & Physics are definitely my weak spots and my TS is low. My overall undergrad GPA is 3.6 and my science GPA is around 3.5. I just recently discovered my interest for optometry so I kinda joined the process late. I already graduated and will be taking a gap year. I am applying this cycle, but unfortunately, the COVID pandemic put a halt to my efforts to gain experience in the field. I am hoping to start a shadowing opportunity soon, but it is still in the works. Apart from that, I have volunteered at a hospital for over a year, worked as a pharmacy technician, held leadership positions at school and church. I know many of my EC's have nothing to do with optometry, which is why I'm worried. Does anyone have any advice taking these factors into consideration? I know my scores are nowhere close to being looked at in highly competitive programs...but do you guys think I have a chance with certain programs such as UIW Rosenberg or MCPHS? Open to any input!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
OC: 260
TS: 270/AA: 310

As you can see, Ochem & Physics are definitely my weak spots and my TS is low. My overall undergrad GPA is 3.5-3.6 and my science GPA is around 3.35. I just recently discovered my interest for optometry so I kinda joined the process late. I already graduated and will be taking a gap year. I am applying this cycle, but unfortunately, the COVID pandemic put a halt to my efforts to gain experience in the field. I am hoping to start a shadowing opportunity soon, but it is still in the works. Apart from that, I have volunteered at a hospital for over a year, worked as a pharmacy technician, held leadership positions at school and church. I know many of my EC's have nothing to do with optometry, which is why I'm worried. Does anyone have any advice taking these factors into consideration? I know my scores are nowhere close to being looked at in highly competitive programs...but do you guys think I have a chance with certain programs such as UIW Rosenberg or MCPHS? Open to any input!
Yes, as long as your science and cumulative GPAs are average or above average and you apply early and show interest in the field I think those 2 schools you mentioned will give you a chance.

Reactions: 1 user

As you can see, Ochem & Physics are definitely my weak spots and my TS is low. My overall undergrad GPA is 3.5-3.6 and my science GPA is around 3.35. I just recently discovered my interest for optometry so I kinda joined the process late. I already graduated and will be taking a gap year. I am applying this cycle, but unfortunately, the COVID pandemic put a halt to my efforts to gain experience in the field. I am hoping to start a shadowing opportunity soon, but it is still in the works. Apart from that, I have volunteered at a hospital for over a year, worked as a pharmacy technician, held leadership positions at school and church. I know many of my EC's have nothing to do with optometry, which is why I'm worried. Does anyone have any advice taking these factors into consideration? I know my scores are nowhere close to being looked at in highly competitive programs...but do you guys think I have a chance with certain programs such as UIW Rosenberg or MCPHS? Open to any input!
I was wondering what made you choose UIWRSO? You have a pretty good chance of getting into that school and your stats are great.

Members don't see this ad :)

Ideally, where do you want to go? Consider applying to schools and let them rule you out rather than you ruling yourself out.

I was wondering what made you choose UIWRSO? You have a pretty good chance of getting into that school and your stats are great.
Hi there! Its funny looking back at this post because this was at a time where I was fairly new to the optometry application process and was stressed about whether my OAT score and lack of optometric experience would cause me to be rejected at all established programs. I was actually trying to aim for the programs that were a bit easier to get into (since I didn't view myself as a stellar applicant), and UIWRSO seemed to be one of the schools that fit the criteria but also offered a great program. Compared to some of the other newer programs that are easier to get into (MCPHS, Western, KYCO, IAUPR), it was between UIWRSO and CCO for me in terms of where I wanted to apply. I actually did end up getting accepted to that program but also got accepted to UHCO and with in-state tuition, UHCO seemed to be the choice for me :) However, I think UIWRSO has a great program (I know a couple of people who graduated from there) and they're all doing well and fine as optometrists. I definitely felt welcomed and got a family-feeling from that school and while past first time board pass rates were initially a concern for me, most people eventually pass by graduation. It's definitely not a school I would completely dismiss!

Reactions: 1 users
Ideally, where do you want to go? Consider applying to schools and let them rule you out rather than you ruling yourself out.
I'm really glad I tried applying anyways and not limiting myself! I ended up getting accepted to all the programs I applied to and will attend UHCO! With in-state tuition and a great program, this seems to be the best fit for me.

Hi there! Its funny looking back at this post because this was at a time where I was fairly new to the optometry application process and was stressed about whether my OAT score and lack of optometric experience would cause me to be rejected at all established programs. I was actually trying to aim for the programs that were a bit easier to get into (since I didn't view myself as a stellar applicant), and UIWRSO seemed to be one of the schools that fit the criteria but also offered a great program. Compared to some of the other newer programs that are easier to get into (MCPHS, Western, KYCO, IAUPR), it was between UIWRSO and CCO for me in terms of where I wanted to apply. I actually did end up getting accepted to that program but also got accepted to UHCO and with in-state tuition, UHCO seemed to be the choice for me :) However, I think UIWRSO has a great program (I know a couple of people who graduated from there) and they're all doing well and fine as optometrists. I definitely felt welcomed and got a family-feeling from that school and while past first time board pass rates were initially a concern for me, most people eventually pass by graduation. It's definitely not a school I would completely dismiss!
I am happy for you. Would you mind sharing your interview experience? I applied to UH and got waitlisted. I have a 3.9 GPA and 320 AA and 340 TS.

Thank you so much! You have amazing stats! Are you an out-of-state applicant? If so, this may be the reason why because UH seems not so favorable on applicants out of state. You may have been waitlisted because they may have filled up their desired amount of out of state seats already. The class of 2024 only has 20 out of state students out of all the 102. That makes me think this may be the case and not necessarily because of you as an applicant, but I would also reach out to Lyle and see if he has any information on that. Regardless, my interview experience was pretty standard with the questions they asked (why optometry, what do you look for in an optometry school, teach me something in 5 minutes). I definitely can say I have had better interviews (not in terms of how I responded, but in terms of how well the interviewers responded to me) but seems like I did well enough. I really do think you have great stats and if you are out of state, that may have been the main factor here. If you're looking at UH mainly because they offer in-state tuition after first year, I think a couple other schools like SUNY may also offer that? I'm not completely sure which do but maybe some other people on SDN could provide more knowledgable input if you ask. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yes, I am from out of state and I was planning on moving to Texas. Good luck at UH though! You will do great!!