Optometry in Brooklyn ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Optgal96

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the average salary for optometrists in different areas and came across Brooklyn, NY averaging at 280,000 a year! And for those with experiences between only 1-2 years! I'm not sure if that was a typo or what buuut do NYC optometrists actually make a lot of money?

On a side note ...

I had always envisioned (pun not intended) myself working outside of the state of NY because of the weird regulations they've got going there. NY strips away some of the power that makes an optometrist a primary care doctor. So my question to optometrists working in NY-- what are the benefits of working in the state of NY? What makes you want to stay?

Thank you! And I hope you're all staying safe :)

Members don't see this ad.

following!! I was wondering this too! glad someone brought it up

I think this pandemic will start to see a slight net migration from highly densely populated areas.

Members don't see this ad :)
To be honest 280K as an average in Brooklyn, NY seems very inaccurate. I would say only a very select few of highly successful practice owners in an area like Brooklyn can pull that much.

To be honest 280K as an average in Brooklyn, NY seems very inaccurate. I would say only a very select few of highly successful practice owners in an area like Brooklyn can pull that much.
Claiming it's a select few is underselling it. But no, that obviously isn't the average.

I'm thinking of working in NY. What kind of weird regulations do they have?

I'm thinking of working in NY. What kind of weird regulations do they have?
Oral meds is currently not allowed, but a bill is on the books and it might pass this year.

Glaucoma treatment is allowed. Between immigrant populations and OD friendly medical panels, it's easier to practice wide scope optometry than it would appear by comparing state laws.