This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Richiter Belmont

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I had a question that I tried looking for but can't seem to find an answer for it. So basically I got a D in physics in my local community college, then Transferred to a university and got a B+ in physics. The D is really hurting my GPA so I was thinking about retaking it at that community college I went to. So I was wondering if both physics class from the comm and university would count as separate classes when entering my grades or would the two grades be averaged from the reattempt at the comm college and university?
Sorry if this is a dumb question!

Members don't see this ad.

It's considered 2 separate courses. Optomcas does grade forgiveness if it's the same course taken at the same institution.

It's considered 2 separate courses. Optomcas does grade forgiveness if it's the same course taken at the same institution.

Does it literally have to be the exact same course? Because my school has more than one chemistry series (one for chem majors, another for bio majors - both are 5 Quarter units with a lab section), and more than one Calc series (one for science students and another for engineering/computer sci and again, both are the same units). So say I got a bad grade in the first course of one series, then took the first course of the other series at the same college, would that be accepted as replacement on the app?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does it literally have to be the exact same course? Because my school has more than one chemistry series (one for chem majors, another for bio majors - both are 5 Quarter units with a lab section), and more than one Calc series (one for science students and another for engineering/computer sci and again, both are the same units). So say I got a bad grade in the first course of one series, then took the first course of the other series at the same college, would that be accepted as replacement on the app?

I wouldn't risk it really. I know on Optomcas, if you had taken the exact same course twice for grade forgiveness, the first time you take the course, put 0 credits but put the bad grade, and then the second time, put however many credits its worth and the new grade. Optomcas will ignore the one with 0 credits and calculate the one with 4 credits. If the 2 series have the same name (ex, CHEM 1234), then maybe check with an advisor to do so. If they have different names (ex, CHEM 1234 vs CHEM 5678) then no, you'll have to retake that particular one. My school has 2 different types of physics (one with calc and one algebra based), if I did bad with the calc physics, I have to retake the calc physics.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't risk it really. I know on Optomcas, if you had taken the exact same course twice for grade forgiveness, the first time you take the course, put 0 credits but put the bad grade, and then the second time, put however many credits its worth and the new grade. Optomcas will ignore the one with 0 credits and calculate the one with 4 credits. If the 2 series have the same name (ex, CHEM 1234), then maybe check with an advisor to do so. If they have different names (ex, CHEM 1234 vs CHEM 5678) then no, you'll have to retake that particular one. My school has 2 different types of physics (one with calc and one algebra based), if I did bad with the calc physics, I have to retake the calc physics.

Ok, thank you very much. Also, would you say that this practice of allowing grade replacement will continue for at least the next couple years? Or have there been any rumours that optometry schools might suddenly stop doing grade replacement the way DO schools did to?

Also, what happens in case a person retakes a class and does worse, do they take the better grade or the newer grade?

Ok, thank you very much. Also, would you say that this practice of allowing grade replacement will continue for at least the next couple years? Or have there been any rumours that optometry schools might suddenly stop doing grade replacement the way DO schools did to?

Also, what happens in case a person retakes a class and does worse, do they take the better grade or the newer grade?

For those 2 questions, I honestly do not know. I would ask optometry school admissions or Optomcas..

Reactions: 1 user