Optometry Definitions

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Francine

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not in Optometry College. Finishing my BS so I can apply. My question is about what are conventional definitions used in OD school, and are there variations from school to school...?

? What falls in the category of diseases? (Please list)

? What are considered disorders?

? What are considered degenerative conditions?

? Is there any overlap? That is...are any of these words used interchangeably?

? What category would presbyopia be put into?

? What is the OD school definition of a refractive error?

? What are the OD, vs the "layman's" definitions for the refractive errors such as hyperopia and myopia? Are they both used, and both considered accurate?

? What is the OD dictionary definition of emmetropia, or the emmetropic eye?

The reason why I'm asking is this: I am not an OD yet, but I have a good basic understanding of many of these conditions, definitions, etc. But not being in school, and required to cough up textbook definitions, I am not in the habit of using them, and usually use layman's terms to describe various conditions. Is this considered inaccurate ?

And what dictionary are you guys using these days, anyway?

I decided to post these questions here because I've lately come into conflict with some vision professionals on a public, nonprofessional newsgroup. Some of them are fond of using as much technospeak as they can, saying things like negative convergence instead of divergence, etc, to laypersons. This is not a tendency I respect in people; I think it's arrogant. Is this considered a necessary and customary practice when you're in school? I hope not...

Cheers,
Fran :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not in OD school yet either so I won't try and answer all the medical questions, but as far as the way professionals speak...

I would hope that when students are in school studiying these things, they would use the true medical terms even if they are Latin. If you don't become comfortable with the real terms, how would you look them up, or truely understand them when reading journals. Not to mention telling the patient exactly what is wrong with them. OF course we should never make the patient fell stupid by using words we know they won't know, but you should still tell them the big words and then explain it. When I go to the doctor and they use really simple words, I quetion their intellegence.

I feel that in medical situations, the patients should feel absolutly comfortable to ask any question they want, but at the same time feel "inferior" to the doctor. Perhaps inferior is to strong of a word, but I know that when I see the doc, I want to feel that the doctor is smarter then I am. Otherwise I wonder why I'm going to him/her. Perhaps that is just me, but I think most people want to think the person about to write them a Rx, or cut into them, is smarter then they are.

I want to make it very clear that I don't ever want to make the patient feel dumb or uncomfortable, but they should feel that the doctor possess a high degree of intellegence. This intellegence can be shown through medical terms which are used and then defined in a respectful manner.

I do understand your feelings about words like neg. convergence vs. divergence, thats a little wierd.

The terms I specified are used. What I question is: In what context is it appropriate to use very complex definitions for these terms, and in what context is it appropriate to use simpler definitions. I'm not questioning our understanding of the terms or that an understanding is necessary. To a large extent I already have a good enough understanding of them to read whatever journal articles I can get my hands on.

"I feel that in medical situations, the patients should feel absolutly comfortable to ask any question they want, but at the same time feel "inferior" to the doctor. Perhaps inferior is to strong of a word, but I know that when I see the doc, I want to feel that the doctor is smarter then I am. Otherwise I wonder why I'm going to him/her. Perhaps that is just me, but I think most people want to think the person about to write them a Rx, or cut into them, is smarter then they are."

That's more of what I am referring to. But I don't think a doctor is stupid if they use simple language. I just think they are a good communicator. If a doctor says I have "accommodative insufficiency," and I am a patient and not a person on your level or mine, I would want to know what that was. And I feel that the doctor should know this, and should give a definition along with the diagnosis.

You're bringing into play the idea of "doctor as authority figure." I've never felt the great desire to be an authority figure, just the desire to help people. If a doctor wants me to think he's smarter, I usually lose respect for him almost immediately, LOL. What does a doctor really have over his patients? More education, and clinical experience. Access to modes of treatment, and to other doctors who may know more than they do. The best doctors, IMHO, are those who are willing to consult with others they respect if a case is difficult.

The doctors I've respected the most, when I've seen them as a patient, are those who obviously have respect for my own intelligence. And, especially, for my own powers of observation about my condition. Some doctors will treat you as a "condition" and not a person, and I don't respect this either. But from an early age, I've had the good fortune to come into contact with medical professionals that I admire and respect very much. So I guess I know what kind of doctor I'd like to become, since I've had great role models.

I've also come into contact with doctors I didn't respect at all. I remember once, when I was about 20, I had to go to a hospital emergency room because I had broken my toe. They gave me a complete examination, and the doctor saw a rash on my back. Now, I was born with an allergic condition called "atopic dermatitis," which means, more or less, that I am sensitive to alot of things, and can become allergic to practically anything. The textbooks call it "the itch that rashes," because people with the condition will itch so much they scratch themselves and actually cause abrasions, or the appearance of a rash. When I mentioned 'atopic skin,' the doctor who was examining me said, "You must mean atrophic. At this point I lost respect for him entirely, and told him that atopic dermatitis was probably on page ONE of his pathology book in the chapter on immunological diseases. (It's classified with psoriasis and asthma, BTW. I do read pathology textbooks.) This guy WAS stupid, and not because he didn't know any terms. His knowledge was not very extensive, he was a lousy diagnostician, and it was obvious. He also told me to use a washcloth on my back, as if I were dirty, and that this had caused my condition...! He was a nitwit, and who knows how he had gotten through med school!(BTW people with atopic skin itch so much, they often take 3 or more showers a day.)

"I do understand your feelings about words like neg. convergence vs. divergence, thats a little wierd"

I can't say how much I've seen this kind of thing lately...! But I think I should be more explicit about the context of my "discussion" on that other forum:

A person (probably with no scientific or medical education) asked why minus lens spectacles are not available in drugstores, as plus lens (reading glasses) are. I responded, trying to make him see that myopia is a complex disorder, and may be (according to current and past research) many disorders, to boot. And that some forms of myopia are progressive, and insidious, and can lead to further complications, like detached retina, and even blindness. So it is not really something you should deal with yourself. On the other hand, most people who go to the drugstore for reading glasses are over 40, and presbyopic, and just don't want to go to the eye doctor. It isn't such a great idea to get generic magnifying glasses, which is what they are, because often there are other factors, such as astigmatism, which are best corrected via a Rx. So, while the non-Rx are not the best option, and could likely cause eyestrain, they will at least not mask or further the progression of a myopia-related disease process.

My response was along those lines, with a more detailed explanation of what myopia is, vs. hyperopia vs presbyopia, but using terms that a lay person could understand. Well, a couple of professionals on the board started complaining that I didn't understand refractive errors, and that I was making inaccurate statements, etc. I have a very large library of "links," and I looked at about 5 eye dictionaries and glossaries, and my statements were really right out their pages...! Since my ODs and many ODs I'm acquainted with have shown respect for my intelligence, I conclude that the forum guys are just arrogant, and like to show off, and disrespect someone who doesn't. I think I got the worst "review" from the guy who used the term "negative vergence," ROTFL. In all my years of learning vision training from my ODs, I never once heard them used that term, hehe...

I actually reconsidered my forum response a bit later, and realized that the non-Rx reading glasses are not such a good idea, for other reasons. The person could have a developing cataract, or age-related macular degeneration, or glaucoma, etc. which would not be found unless they regularly went to their OD. And a person with other health problems, such as diabetes, would be at even greater risk for developing these diseases. But the people on the forum didn't call me to task for THIS omission, which IMHO is a much more serious error than using definitions suitable for a layman.

So I think you see my point. If I had been criticized for THAT, I would have felt, and been properly admonished. I would have been very embarrassed. It's making me red in the face just thinking about it, in fact. But what they did was to get bogged down in semantics.

I posted here yesterday because I'm starting to think I am too much of a "maverick " or "heretic," and that I might get into trouble once I actually get to Optometry School, and even after I graduate. Not in trouble with the grades, or classes, because doing well in school is an art form I mastered long ago. I'm afraid of not getting along with my colleagues. This may sound trivial, but one's career can rest on such things.

Anyway, thanks alot for your comments. I really do need to know how others feel about my questions.

Cheers,
Francine :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry Francine... those guys are obviously twits. I commend you on being that interested in the profession and getting out there and learning something more about it. yes, the terms positive and negative fusional vergence are slung around in my peds/ VT classes, but in front of patients I would never say those words. I actually just had to give a presentation last week to my attendings on how to explain to a peds/VT patient about fusional vergence dysfunction and how VT will help them. You can't just walk in and say "hi.. you have fusional vergence dysfunction"... :rolleyes: The people who are going to judge you are the people who AREN'T good with patients. Docs who do nothing but sling big words around in front of patients have superiority complexes and aren't usually the best with patients or communicating. Yes, you CAN use big words (i'm not saying that) you just have to break it down and explain it thoroughly to a patient. Talk TO them, not at them cuz many of them are smarter than you.

Some of the opticians at the university clinic are very critical of some of the students for talking to our clinic patients like they're "beneath " them (just because they don't come from strong enconomic backgrounds). I think this is the worst crime a doctor can commit. (yes, I know I can't spell... deal)

I understand your fears totally Francine. The docs who you think you won't get along with... probably aren't worth getting along with. But not to worry, most people (at least in my class) laugh at people like this.

Good luck... with your kind of drive you'll do awesome!

:clap:

I agree with you both. Especially the "talk to the patient, not at the patient." It all goes down to how you present the information to the patient.

To cpw and rpames...THANKS...!

I really hope my colleagues are like you folks.

I guess I do have alot of drive. I'm so interested in the profession, and in helping people. Whenever I've been able to do so, in whatever milieu I've been in, it's felt better than just about anything...

BIG Cheers for you guys,
Francine
:clap: :clap: