Optometry Contracts

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Optomgem23

Reaction score
Hello! I am in my last year of optometry school and have received some job offers from retail settings. I'll admit, the salary is very attractive but this is (hopefully) not something long-term. It's a quick way for me to pay off my loans and then move into private practices or OD/MD groups.

I am not too familiar with contracts and was hoping I could get some tips for things to look out for or to ask. For example, reasonable non-competes are one thing I look for. They'll definitely be overworking me, and I don't mind the hours, but I was wondering what are some additional things I can ask for. As a young and new OD, I do not know what issues I should be looking out for so I definitely do not want to be taken advantage of. Any insight would be helpful!

So far they have offered an above-average daily rate, working 40 hours per week (including weekends), and 10 PTO days. Nothing with CE (is this negotiable and if so - what should I ask for?)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I am in my last year of optometry school and have received some job offers from retail settings. I'll admit, the salary is very attractive but this is (hopefully) not something long-term. It's a quick way for me to pay off my loans and then move into private practices or OD/MD groups.

I am not too familiar with contracts and was hoping I could get some tips for things to look out for or to ask. For example, reasonable non-competes are one thing I look for. They'll definitely be overworking me, and I don't mind the hours, but I was wondering what are some additional things I can ask for. As a young and new OD, I do not know what issues I should be looking out for so I definitely do not want to be taken advantage of. Any insight would be helpful!

So far they have offered an above-average daily rate, working 40 hours per week (including weekends), and 10 PTO days. Nothing with CE (is this negotiable and if so - what should I ask for?)

What is considered reasonable will vary from employer to employer as well as in differing parts of the country. Be ware of non competes. In my experience a 5 mile non compete for 5 years is acceptable. However a non compete for 25 miles and 10 years is not. I do not see that you have been offered vacation time (or is this the PTO), health insurance, or malpractice insurance. Again in my opinion, these are issues that at minimal should be explored. Lastly, before signing on the dotted line, consult an attorney.

Do 5 mile, 5 years exist? Mine was 5 km, 6 months. 25 miles, 10 years is almost certainly not going to stand up in court. In an ironic way, that's the type that one shouldn't be afraid to sign since it would be thrown out by a judge, and therefore moot.

Non competes are on shakier grounds these days. I've heard some jurisdictions are considering outlawing them. They may soon be a thing of the past.

Edit. In Ontario
"The omnibus legislation proposes a host of other labour-friendly policies, including a ban on non-compete agreements,"

Last edited: