Optometrist vs opthamologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ronmillsey

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi there.. i have been shadowing an opthamologist and a question to my mind - why do optometrists exist? Doesnt it seem kind of redundant?

And for you pre-optometry students that are passionate about the eye and all that stuff, is competition really high? This is my first time in this forum..

and if i gave you the option to pick, would you pick opthamology over optometry?

hi guys, its me again, i need your honest answers or otherwise this will be a pointless topic so be honest about this question(whether u would chose opthamology over optometry)
Ok thanks guys, happy eid

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
the search button is your best friend.

hi there.. i have been shadowing an opthamologist and a question to my mind - why do optometrists exist? Doesnt it seem kind of redundant?

And for you pre-optometry students that are passionate about the eye and all that stuff, is competition really high? This is my first time in this forum..

and if i gave you the option to pick, would you pick opthamology over optometry?

hi guys, its me again, i need your honest answers or otherwise this will be a pointless topic so be honest about this question(whether u would chose opthamology over optometry)
Ok thanks guys, happy eid

Ron,

A couple of suggestions......

1) If you haven't, you should shadow an optometrist as well and that might help you appreciate the difference and why "optometrists exist." On some level, your question is like asking "why do neurologists exist if we have neuro-surgeons" or "why do dentists exist of we have maxillo-facial surgeons?"

2) Don't forget the H.

3) As the other poster said, the search button is your friend. There have been dozens of threads on this very topic.

Members don't see this ad :)

Read this thread for info about the optometry school application process.

And I believe your second question is making the assumption that the only reason one would go into optometry because the option of ophthalmology was unavailable to them. Simply put, that is not true.

Ophthalmology and optometry — though both concerned with the eye — are rather different professions. The former requires attaining an M.D. (which, itself, isn't something everyone wants to do), and the practice often involves performing surgical procedures. Optometry is concerned with more "casual" vision-care: refraction (i.e., measuring eyesight to determine the prescription for corrective lenses) is one of the primary functions of the optometrist, and it's something almost totally removed from the life of an ophthalmologist.

*You may expand your question to comprise the optician, as well.

P.S. Happy Eid to you, too.