Optometrist vs. Nurse Practitioner

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

janedoe88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm thinking of giving up on Optometry...I got rejected from my top schools and I don't want to move from CA to the East Coast. My backup is to be Nurse Practitioner, does anyone know if this might be better than being an Optometrist? It seems like a lot less debt to get myself into and my family doesn't have any money so I'd be taking out a $120K loan for Optometry school (although I didn't pay anything for undergrad cause of scholarships). On the other hand, nursing school might be just as hard to get into and still require 4 years of my life and not even make that much $ once I'm working...thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Have you looked into PA schools? I think it's a very good career and I've worked with some who were good at their craft.

Members don't see this ad :)
In health care, PA & NP probably are the best career moves in terms of limited debt and guaranteed employment forthe next decade.

For going NP, you've probably wasted a few years since you could have had a BSN by now, but still doable.

Have you looked into PA schools? I think it's a very good career and I've worked with some who were good at their craft.

ya but the one i looked at you need 3,000 hours of working with a doctor to apply...

In health care, PA & NP probably are the best career moves in terms of limited debt and guaranteed employment forthe next decade.

For going NP, you've probably wasted a few years since you could have had a BSN by now, but still doable.

Ya but I would look at 4 year programs where you don't need to be a RN

PA/NP/BSN/RN programs are unbelievably competitive these days. Lots of career changers going back to school, getting 4.0's in their pre-reqs and applying to these programs. PA programs typically require a lot of patient hours before you can apply. I think IF you could get in, it may provide a better outlook and less debt than optometry.

Good Luck!

PA/NP/BSN/RN programs are unbelievably competitive these days. Lots of career changers going back to school, getting 4.0's in their pre-reqs and applying to these programs. PA programs typically require a lot of patient hours before you can apply. I think IF you could get in, it may provide a better outlook and less debt than optometry.

Good Luck!

Do you know if it's harder than getting into an accredited optometry program? I feel like i could probably ace the nursing test compared to the OAT lol but ya my GPA would not be a 4.0...

So I'm thinking of giving up on Optometry...I got rejected from my top schools and I don't want to move from CA to the East Coast. My backup is to be Nurse Practitioner, does anyone know if this might be better than being an Optometrist?

no, cancelling my interview, I know I wouldn't be happy in Penn.

What's wrong with Penn? Anyways, since you are from California and if you want to practice there I would definitely NOT choose optometry. Its so oversaturated that even ophthalmologists have problems starting their own practices there in the major cities.

Being a Nurse Practitioner is a TOTALLY different career. You like giving sponge baths to old people? I rather deal with glasses the rest of my life than do that. Not to demean RNs/NPs, they work hard, very hard and are essential to our healthcare system. Personally, I would go PA.

b
Being a Nurse Practitioner is a TOTALLY different career. You like giving sponge baths to old people? I rather deal with glasses the rest of my life than do that.

NPs are not the ones giving sponge baths to anyone, old or young - that's going to be CNAs and maybe a basic RN if he/she is very unlucky. If you're going to hand out career advice, you might want to read up on the careers your discussing. NPs are highly-trained parts of the healthcare team capable of limited prescribing . They're not going to be giving aunt Esther a shower.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Do you know if it's harder than getting into an accredited optometry program? I feel like i could probably ace the nursing test compared to the OAT lol but ya my GPA would not be a 4.0...

I really don't know, because I'm not too familiar with the competitiveness of optometry, but if it's anything close to other doctorate medical programs (excluding MD), then I'd go as far as to say that yes, it's more difficult. Here's why:

Realize that you have to get your RN first and then you can get your NP. Some schools have direct entry master's programs for NP. With a bachelor's you can choose several different methods, but you'd either do a direct entry master's program (extremely competitive) or an accelerated 12-16 month BSN (also very, very competitive) and then apply for your master's as an NP (probably the most competitive because you are competing with nurses who have tons of experience and decided to go back to school). You could also do a CC 2yr RN program (some schools have wait lists that are over a year long) and then do an RN-MSN program.

Pre-reqs: you have taken the harder pre-reqs to apply to Opt school - the 'real' science courses, whereas nursing schools only require the watered down versions. So, their gpa's usually look better from this standpoint. No calculus or physics or organic to drag down the gpa. Nursing schools require different pre-reqs, some of which you probably don't have... developmental bio or psych, nutrition, sociology, etc. And, there is no generic pre-req 'list' like med school, every school has their own idea of what is important to have.

Time and money: Lots of people are going back to school and don't have the time, energy, money, fortitude, etc to apply to a 4+ year medical program. So, they want to do the quickie - a nursing degree or a NP/PA degree. They have a degree in education from 15 years ago with a 3.9 gpa and go back to CC and take a class or two a semester to do their pre-reqs and get a 4.0. Plus, they have a ton of life experience that looks great on their apps.

Entrance exams: OAT for optometry and none for nursing unless you are in certain states (TX maybe?). I don't know, but it seems like a non-issue for most programs.

It is a long road, but not impossible. I would suggest you fully research it, if you haven't already, and decide what you want and go for it. Two totally different paths, imo. I personally feel NPs and PA's have a very good outlook. However, there is a LOT of tension between Drs and NP who get their DNPs. You can do a simple search and read for hours. I think PA is the better model for someone interested in medicine and NP for those interested in nursing. Huge difference, imo.

Sorry for the novel. Do your homework first. And, just my .02, but if you want to be an optometrist, take the acceptance and GO. The las thing you want is regrets later.

b

NPs are not the ones giving sponge baths to anyone, old or young - that's going to be CNAs and maybe a basic RN if he/she is very unlucky. If you're going to hand out career advice, you might want to read up on the careers your discussing. NPs are highly-trained parts of the healthcare team capable of limited prescribing . They're not going to be giving aunt Esther a shower.

:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
b

NPs are not the ones giving sponge baths to anyone, old or young - that's going to be CNAs and maybe a basic RN if he/she is very unlucky. If you're going to hand out career advice, you might want to read up on the careers your discussing.

Well, you have to be an RN first before you become an NP so you'd be lucky to escape it.

Well, you have to be an RN first before you become an NP so you'd be lucky to escape it.

again, this is misinformation! Some of the schools have Masters-entry programs where you can apply for a 4 year program WITHOUT being a RN, you just need a bachelors.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I really don't know, because I'm not too familiar with the competitiveness of optometry, but if it's anything close to other doctorate medical programs (excluding MD), then I'd go as far as to say that yes, it's more difficult. Here's why:

Realize that you have to get your RN first and then you can get your NP. Some schools have direct entry master's programs for NP. With a bachelor's you can choose several different methods, but you'd either do a direct entry master's program (extremely competitive) or an accelerated 12-16 month BSN (also very, very competitive) and then apply for your master's as an NP (probably the most competitive because you are competing with nurses who have tons of experience and decided to go back to school). You could also do a CC 2yr RN program (some schools have wait lists that are over a year long) and then do an RN-MSN program.

Pre-reqs: you have taken the harder pre-reqs to apply to Opt school - the 'real' science courses, whereas nursing schools only require the watered down versions. So, their gpa's usually look better from this standpoint. No calculus or physics or organic to drag down the gpa. Nursing schools require different pre-reqs, some of which you probably don't have... developmental bio or psych, nutrition, sociology, etc. And, there is no generic pre-req 'list' like med school, every school has their own idea of what is important to have.

Time and money: Lots of people are going back to school and don't have the time, energy, money, fortitude, etc to apply to a 4+ year medical program. So, they want to do the quickie - a nursing degree or a NP/PA degree. They have a degree in education from 15 years ago with a 3.9 gpa and go back to CC and take a class or two a semester to do their pre-reqs and get a 4.0. Plus, they have a ton of life experience that looks great on their apps.

Entrance exams: OAT for optometry and none for nursing unless you are in certain states (TX maybe?). I don't know, but it seems like a non-issue for most programs.

It is a long road, but not impossible. I would suggest you fully research it, if you haven't already, and decide what you want and go for it. Two totally different paths, imo. I personally feel NPs and PA's have a very good outlook. However, there is a LOT of tension between Drs and NP who get their DNPs. You can do a simple search and read for hours. I think PA is the better model for someone interested in medicine and NP for those interested in nursing. Huge difference, imo.

Sorry for the novel. Do your homework first. And, just my .02, but if you want to be an optometrist, take the acceptance and GO. The las thing you want is regrets later.

ya i would do the 4 year Masters Entry Program, not sure how competitive it is though. I'm on hold at 2 Optometry schools (1 accredited, 1 not accredited)...so I'm waiting to hear back...if the cycle ends and I'm still on hold then I'll go for the Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant.

again, this is misinformation! Some of the schools have Masters-entry programs where you can apply for a 4 year program WITHOUT being a NP, you just need a bachelors.

I think you mean RN instead of NP. On hold for schools, ya seems appropriate :p

The cold weather of the East Coast is pretty miserable. I don't blame you.

Na, it only recently started getting cold again. I want it because there hasn't been any snow until now :( Except for that one day in October.

ya i would do the 4 year Masters Entry Program, not sure how competitive it is though. I'm on hold at 2 Optometry schools (1 accredited, 1 not accredited)...so I'm waiting to hear back...if the cycle ends and I'm still on hold then I'll go for the Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant.

As I've already mentioned, they are EXTREMELY competitive. Like 3.7-4.0 competitive. I personally know of people accepted to Vet and DO schools but not a nursing, NP/PA program. NP/PA is not usually a Plan B for people, as it is so competitive and adcoms can see right through this.

Direct entry master's are not 4 years either, unless you do FT BSN and then PT NP. More like 2.5- 3yrs, depending on several different factors. PA is typically 2 years. All direct entry master's programs I've heard of, you get your RN/BSN first and then the NP part is highly varied, depending on the program. Some, you have to practice as nurse for at least 1-2yrs, some are online only, some are FT or PT...many different options.

You obviously need to do your homework before jumping ship.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
As I've already mentioned, they are EXTREMELY competitive. Like 3.7-4.0 competitive. I personally know of people accepted to Vet and DO schools but not a nursing, NP/PA program. NP/PA is not usually a Plan B for people, as it is so competitive and adcoms can see right through this.

Direct entry master's are not 4 years either, unless you do FT BSN and then PT NP. More like 2.5- 3yrs, depending on several different factors. PA is typically 2 years. All direct entry master's programs I've heard of, you get your RN/BSN first and then the NP part is highly varied, depending on the program. Some, you have to practice as nurse for at least 1-2yrs, some are online only, some are FT or PT...many different options.

Not sure if it's extremely competitive.

I have a friend who scored a 23 on the MCAT, low 3.0 GPA and did not make it to an MD school and got into an NP program.

Yea, because NP school is more competitive than med school.. :rolleyes:

I bet you're one of those people who thinks NPs should be called "doctor."

I don't know about NP, but PA is probably a backup to med school just as much as DDS is.

Yea, because NP school is more competitive than med school.. :rolleyes:

I bet you're one of those people who thinks NPs should be called "doctor."

I don't know about NP, but PA is probably a backup to med school just as much as DDS is.

My friend nearly had a nervous breakdown after she got into a DO school... 1 mo into it and quit. When asked about NP school - it's easy.

My friend nearly had a nervous breakdown after she got into a DO school... 1 mo into it and quit. When asked about NP school - it's easy.

I believe it.

Just looking at GPA in isolation...that might be true. However, the pre-reqs are usually easier and probably don't involve organic chemistry, physics, and calculus. Also, I'm not sure if any of the nursing schools "recommend" upper division courses like biochemistry, genetics, and physiology. They may not even weigh community college science courses differently from top tier national universities, so it's easier to get those nice GPAs. Of course, the main difference would be the lack of a standardized exam like the beast of an MCAT to balance out grade inflation and differences in the difficulty of classes.

Just looking at GPA in isolation...that might be true. However, the pre-reqs are usually easier and probably don't involve organic chemistry, physics, and calculus. Also, I'm not sure if any of the nursing schools "recommend" upper division courses like biochemistry, genetics, and physiology. They may not even weigh community college science courses differently from top tier national universities, so it's easier to get those nice GPAs. Of course, the main difference would be the lack of a standardized exam like the beast of an MCAT to balance out grade inflation and differences in the difficulty of classes.

I haven't done much research on nursing school at all- that's why i was posting on this site for info haha. But when I did look into a couple state schools in CA they have a centralized test. The problem is that it seems that there is a couple centralized tests, so I would probably have to take 2 tests to apply widely...
I'm still not sure how competitive they are, but there are programs that offer the Nurse Practitioner without being an RN that are about 4 years.