Optometrist calling themselves as Doctors...Is that proper?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just have to say that in my 44 years on this big old dirtball we call eart, I have been in a lot of clinics, hospitals, and doctor's offices. Many times I was the patient and many times I was with someone who was the patient. Not one time can I recall ever hearing myself or others say "I wish there was a way to quickly identify the people that went to medical school".

So is this a new issue that has cropped up in real life or is this a hypothetical situation discussed among only those who are in pre-med/medical school?

While I really don't care if they make a rule for different color scrubs, from life experience it still only sounds like the pre-meds on this thread just want to make sure they stand out from the rest. My experiences tell me that this has less to do with patient confusion and more to do with recognition that "you" are a "real doctor".

If that's the case, and there is nothing wrong with pride in your accomplishment, how about getting med schools to start issuing nice little "badges" that you can wear on your lab coats much like a pilot getting their "wings". This way the med schools get to have their prestige and recognition, anyone who has earned a doctorate can use the title doctor, and everyone can wear whatever color they want.

I do understand where you are coming from, as I have not encountered a situation like this either.

I have done some googling, and it seems like there are quite a few hospitals that color-code scrubs. There are even some research articles citing higher patient satisfaction as a result. Who knows? I will say though, calling this as a "pre-med" issue is getting old. I think at the point that hospitals implement a system addressing this topic, it becomes more than an issue of "anal pre-meds".

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't serve the patients. It serves a group of anal pre-meds who are afraid that a patient may mistakenly think someone else is a doctor-- or mistake the doctor as something else. Who cares?

True patient care comes from being a part of a team-- one small cog in a wheel where everyone does does his or her job to their utmost ability. How does segregating parts of the medical team into colors do anything at all for patient care?

The OD is is very important part of patient care and performs a number of important services for patients. If I were going into primary care I would depend on them to care for my diabetic patients and give them a thorough yearly eye exam. They don't need an opthalmologist for that.

Everyone on the TEAM is important-- the nutritionist, PT, PA, NP, RN, OT...etc.-- and making them feel like a part of the team is the way to get better health care for your patient. Telling them, "You need to wear the prescribed orange colors so that the patient won't mistake you for someone else" is absolutely silly.

There is no situation in a hospital setting where different colors really makes a difference. They have protocols in place for emergencies that work quite well.

I agree with most of your points in that I could care less what the general public thinks as along as we can all do our job and get on with things. But, I disagree that it doesn't have the great potential to help patients.

Then again, help is relative. Some patients won't care; some will. If you have this system in place, it's there as a service. I agree; who cares amongst each other as colleagues, but since I can only offer anecdotal evidence for this hospital, I can say I am glad they did it. My family liked knowing who was qualified to do what right away.

I know the majority of hospitals don't do this and yeah, they don't fall apart, but this is something worth considering.

Ummmmmmmm what??? Even though a derm or path haven't used much EMS since medical school, they are still medical doctors, just like EM or FP or IM or whatever else happens to be in the ED. It is perfectly fine. What if the derm is called there for some crazy skin consult (the hospital I worked at had a derm department and saw them in the ED a few times)?? Of course he addressed himself as doctor. Same thing if the path guy was up there for some reason. Jesus Christ.

Like I said. An optometrist addressing themselves as a "doctor" in the ED is no more dangerous than a pathologist or dermatologist doing the same.

Can you explain why it is dangerous for a OD to be called "doctor" in the ED but not dangerous for a pathologist? Just because someone is a MD or DO does not mean that they have the know how to practice outside their scope. If the path or derm was called in for a consult, no danger. What if for some reason an OD was called in for a consult, then there is a danger???

Members don't see this ad :)
Like I said. An optometrist addressing themselves as a "doctor" in the ED is no more dangerous than a pathologist or dermatologist doing the same.

Can you explain why it is dangerous for a OD to be called "doctor" in the ED but not dangerous for a pathologist? Just because someone is a MD or DO does not mean that they have the know how to practice outside their scope. If the path or derm was called in for a consult, no danger. What if for some reason an OD was called in for a consult, then there is a danger???

ER medicine may be pretty far gone in the skill set of a derm and path, and I'd never advocate them stepping in with any EM professional there. However, if we are going to play in your court here, let's take an objective look at what would be more dangerous to a patient in a life threatening emergency: any physician that had gone to medical school or any optometrist who had gone to optometry school:

Medical school curriculum:

Year I:
Biochemistry I and II Clinical Experiences (2 week off-campus) rotation Histology I and II Human Gross and Developmental Anatomy I, II and III Human Nutrition Immunology Medical Microbiology Neuroscience I Osteopathic Theory and Methods I, II and III Pathology I Physiology I and II The Complete DOctor

Year II:
Dermatology Infectious Diseases Introduction to Clinical Rotations Neuroscience II Neuroscience III Ophthalmology Orthopedic Surgery Osteopathic Theory and Methods IV, V and V Otorhinolaryngology Pathology II, III and IV Pediatrics Pharmacology I and II Principles of Medicine I, II, and III Principles of Surgery I, II, and III Rheumatic Diseases The Complete Doctor Women’s Health

Year III/IV: Clinical rotations in HOSPITALS in the following fields:

Anesthesiology (2 weeks) Family Medicine (4 weeks) General Internal Medicine (8 weeks) Obstetrics/Gynecology (4 weeks) Pediatrics (4 weeks) Psychiatry (4 weeks) Rural or Underserved Family Medicine (4 weeks) Surgery (4 weeks) Radiology (2 weeks)

CRITICAL CARE !!!! (4 weeks) EMERGENCY MEDICINE !!!(4 weeks) Family Medicine (4 weeks) Internal Medicine or Surgery Electives (4 weeks) Orthopedics, Neurology or Physiatry (4 weeks) Pediatric Electives (4 weeks) Primary Care (4 weeks)

Optometry curriculum:

Year I:
[FONT=geneva, arial, sans-serif]Integrative Optometry I, .[FONT=geneva, arial, sans-serif]Geometric & Visual Optics I, .[FONT=geneva, arial, sans-serif]Ocular Biology I .[FONT=geneva, arial, sans-serif]Systems Approach to Biomedical Sciences I. [FONT=geneva, arial, sans-serif]Clinical Sciences I .[FONT=geneva, arial, sans-serif]Integrative Optometry II .[FONT=geneva, arial, sans-serif]Geometric & Visual Optics II .[FONT=geneva, arial, sans-serif]Systems Approach to Biomedical Sciences II .[FONT=geneva, arial, sans-serif]Clinical Sciences II .[FONT=geneva, arial, sans-serif]Vision Science I: Perception

Year II:

.[FONT=geneva, arial, sans-serif]Integrative Optometry III .[FONT=geneva, arial, sans-serif]Optics III: Ophthalmic .[FONT=geneva, arial, sans-serif]Systems Approach to Biomedical Sciences III .[FONT=geneva, arial, sans-serif]Clinical Sciences III .[FONT=geneva, arial, sans-serif]Vision Science II: Ocular Motility .[FONT=geneva, arial, sans-serif]Integrative Optometry IV .[FONT=geneva, arial, sans-serif]Optics IV: Advanced Clinical Optics .[FONT=geneva, arial, sans-serif]Contact Lenses .[FONT=geneva, arial, sans-serif]Ocular Disease I: Pharmacology .[FONT=geneva, arial, sans-serif]Clinical Sciences IV .[FONT=geneva, arial, sans-serif]Vision Science III Binocular Vision

Year III:

.[FONT=geneva, arial, sans-serif]Grand Rounds I .[FONT=geneva, arial, sans-serif]Ocular Disease II .[FONT=geneva, arial, sans-serif]Physical Assessment and Medicine .[FONT=geneva, arial, sans-serif]Advanced Contact Lens Topics .[FONT=geneva, arial, sans-serif][URL="http://www.opt.indiana.edu/programs/od/courses.htm#V774"]Introduction to Epidemiology and Ophthalmic Research .[FONT=geneva, arial, sans-serif][URL="http://www.opt.indiana.edu/programs/od/courses.htm#V781"]Pediatric Optometry .[FONT=geneva, arial, sans-serif][URL="http://www.opt.indiana.edu/programs/od/courses.htm#V786"]Optometry Clinic 1 .[FONT=geneva, arial, sans-serif][URL="http://www.opt.indiana.edu/programs/od/courses.htm#V746"]Ocular Disease III: Neuro-Optometry .[FONT=geneva, arial, sans-serif][URL="http://www.opt.indiana.edu/programs/od/courses.htm#V749"]Ocular Disease IV: Applied Ocular Therapeutics .[FONT=geneva, arial, sans-serif][URL="http://www.opt.indiana.edu/programs/od/courses.htm#V751"]Low Vision Rehabilitation .[FONT=geneva, arial, sans-serif][URL="http://www.opt.indiana.edu/programs/od/courses.htm#V758"]Advanced Clinical Concepts in Binocular Vision and Pediatrics .[FONT=geneva, arial, sans-serif][URL="http://www.opt.indiana.edu/programs/od/courses.htm#V759"]Business Aspects of Optometry .[FONT=geneva, arial, sans-serif][URL="http://www.opt.indiana.edu/programs/od/courses.htm#V788"]Optometry Clinic .[/URL]
[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]
[URL="http://www.opt.indiana.edu/programs/od/courses.htm#V774"][URL="http://www.opt.indiana.edu/programs/od/courses.htm#V781"][URL="http://www.opt.indiana.edu/programs/od/curricul.htm#1"][URL="http://www.opt.indiana.edu/programs/od/courses.htm#V746"]

[/URL]
[/URL][/URL]
[/URL]

Sources:

http://www.opt.indiana.edu/programs/od/curricul.htm (OD program - and thanks for not having easily copy and paste text for the curriculum)

http://www.atsu.edu/kcom/index.htm (DO program, KCOM)

.... Now, simply looking at these two different curricula and remembering that I am not advocating a derm/path to step in over a EM doc or advertise themselves as an ED doc ... who seems to have the most experience in this situation??? I think it's very, VERY safe to say that the derm/path is far less dangerous moonwalking through the lobby telling people he's a doctor. The bottom line is that these people are medical doctors and this is their turf, ie even if it seems like it is outside of their 'scope' it technically isn't. I get what you're saying and it really doesn't detract much from the point of this thread, but it just isn't true.

[URL="http://www.opt.indiana.edu/programs/od/courses.htm#V774"]
[/URL]

people in this thread sounds like they have a real chip on their shoulder.

The bottom line is that these people are medical doctors and this is their turf, ie even if it seems like it is outside of their 'scope' it technically isn't. I get what you're saying and it really doesn't detract much from the point of this thread, but it just isn't true.

You have much to learn. You're in for a big surprise once you start rotations and residency.

You have much to learn. You're in for a big surprise once you start rotations and residency.

I'm sorry, am I missing something here? We're you previously a physician who is now going back to get his/her OD, ergo you have a working knowledge of how medical school works??? Frankly, you didn't touch on a single one of my points, and the biggest surprise I could learn during residencies/rotations would be that a pre-optometry student knew anything about rotations and residency. I'm 100% sure that unless you have gone through medical school, I know much, much more than you do, or ever will know about the residency and rotations process. Listen, the point is simple: you said that it is no less dangerous for an OD to call themselves a doctor in an emergency room setting/medical emergency situation than it is to call a dermatologist or pathologist a doctor in an emergency situation. This is absurd! I explained, clearly to you, how now matter how far away these docs have come from exposure to IM, FP, Peds, CC, EM, etc, they still have experience with it. ODs have absolutely none! I was being very fair and objective in demonstrating the educational differences, and all you could give me was a laughable reply that I had so much to learn??? What a cop out.

Just so we are clear on the argument ... a physician MD/DO calling themselves doctor in a medical emergency is far, far less dangerous than an OPTOMETRIST calling themselves a doctor in a medical emergency. This is the point you are arguing against, and no matter how much absurd hyperbole is mixed in with these examples, I am correct. I never, ever said that these physicians were the ideal candidates in these situation. Frankly, paramedics are. However, I can't even go into how absurd your argument has become and why you feel the need to continue fighting this when you are claiming that it's just as dangerous for an MD/DO to call themselves a doctor as it is an OD in a hospital.

Just so we are clear on the argument ... a physician MD/DO calling themselves doctor in a medical emergency is far, far less dangerous than an OPTOMETRIST calling themselves a doctor in a medical emergency.

A nurse is more useful than a pathologist in a medical emergency.

The ED is the turf of the Emergency Physician. Just because one is a medical doctor does not mean that one knows anything of what EM physicians do or that the ED is part of one's "turf".

It's laughable that you think a seasoned dermatologist or pathologist will remember what they learned back in med school or 1st year residency. 5+ years out...any doctor will only remember what they do day in and day out.

You reek of insecurity and ignorance.

A nurse is more useful than a pathologist in a medical emergency.

Without a doubt. So is a paramedic.

The ED is the turf of the Emergency Physician.
Have you ever worked in an ED??? I really doubt it. You'd be surprised at how much RN, PA-C, EMTs, etc really do. However, when it comes to a physician who works in an emergency room then yes, I supposed the emergency physician would be ideally suited for that job.

Just because one is a medical doctor does not mean that one knows anything of what EM physicians do or that the ED is part of one's "turf".

Of course they don't know what an EM physician knows. This is what a residency is for.

It's laughable that you think a seasoned dermatologist or pathologist will remember what they learned back in med school or 1st year residency. 5+ years out...any doctor will only remember what they do day in and day out.

God it's really funny that I am having this argument with a pre-OD student. Jesus.

Anyway, if my argument was that a derm/path will remember things well from medical school and be the ideal person to work in an emergency situation then you would have won right here. However, it isn't and you're still horribly wrong. Of course doctors aren't going to remember little esoteric things from medical school, or a four week rotation. This again, isn't the point. The point is that a ****ing OD has none of this experience whatsoever and is not a medical doctor. Do I need to post the curricula differences again, or do you remember them from before??? You know your argument sucks, hence why you keep doing things like telling an accepted medical student that I have 'so much to learn' when you're going to Optometry school (eventually). Do you not see how insane that is??? I don't claim to have a great knowledge of how physician's memories work or, hell, even experience in the rotation/residency system, but I am god damn sure I know more than you. God DAMN sure.

You reek of insecurity and ignorance.

Alright, time for the head shot, you're done, etc. Let me see if I get this straight Dr Eye ...

1.you are a pre-optometry student who has lurked into the DO forums from a completely unrelated set of forums to argue a case. You have left your home turf and come to mine, not the other way around, and I am the insecure one??? You kicked down my front door while I'm watching the Laker game on the couch, started screaming, and I'm the irrational, ignorant one???

2. After a string of posts in this thread about why you want to have your cake and eat it to, you are still doing things like starting threads in the OD forums asking who can prescribe contact lenses, AND essentially were told that in places like CA, any MD/DO can legally, and essentially any opthalm can, anywhere, but you still feel the need to tell me I'm insecure?? Where are the threads I started asking these questions???

3. You blatantly said that an MD/DO calling themselves a doctor in a hospital was just as dangerous as an OD calling themselves a doctor in the hospital. Yeah, totally valid, logic, and secure. You're right, I'm the one making ranting, blanket claims.

4. I tell you I think you are being absurd. Not only do I do this, but I also demonstrate that I'm not so big of an ass as to think that any MD/DO can fly into a situation and be the chief (obviously they can't), but I also demonstrate where physicians are given experience in these areas AND still explain that I think EMS/RNs who deal with this stuff all day can handle it just as well. Does this sound like someone who is insecure??? Admitting that a paramedic can do a medical job better than a physician like I am trying to become???

5. You then make no regards to my comment, proceed to tell me that I know nothing about this process, act like some old sage (when chances are you are younger than me and have never stepped foot inside these forums before this thread), and then call me insecure and ignorant? Neither could be further from the truth.

Listen ... the argument of this entire thread is simple, let me break it down one more time (with emphasis on things we discussed) so you can see:

1. ODs are doctors. They have a doctorate in optometry and are licensed to practice optometry. Calling themselves doctors in their office, or a party, or in public is absolutely fine.

2. Anyone with a doctoral degree can call themselves a doctor. This is fine. However, the problem is that people have doctorates in specific subjects, and when people call themselves doctor in a situation where the norm for responsibilities of a 'doctor' does not fall under the umbrella of their doctorate, it is inappropriate.

3. In a hospital setting, the appropriate candidate for the doctor title are medical doctors: IE MDs and DOs. The hospital is a unique setting in that a misrepresentation of a title can lead to serious consequences as physicians in the hospital are responsible for patient care, and if a patient assumes a non-physician is a doctor, people can get hurt.

4. Since it is bad to have patients suffer, it is probably only appropriate for physicians to call themselves doctors in a hospital setting. This leads to the best patient care (though it could bruise some egos).

(onto our argument)

5. Though they may not be experts in emergency medicine, or even remember much about how to handle critical situations, given the ultimatum between a physician in any field (even one as far away from threatening situations as pathology or dermatology) and an Optometrist handling a critical, emergency situation, the physician would be the appropriate choice and would be much 'less dangerous' than an OD trying to handle the situation. Support for this argument can be seen in the difference in training (both in the classroom and clinical level) between ODs and DO/MDs.

Done. These are the facts, you can scream and rant and tell me I'm foolish and insecure all you want, but this has been my thesis the entire time and I assure you that you calling me insecure and ignorant is hilarious. Good luck with getting your OD.

God it's really funny that I am having this argument with a pre-OD student. Jesus.

Anyway, if my argument was that a derm/path will remember things well from medical school and be the ideal person to work in an emergency situation then you would have won right here. However, it isn't and you're still horribly wrong. Of course doctors aren't going to remember little esoteric things from medical school, or a four week rotation. This again, isn't the point. The point is that a ****ing OD has none of this experience whatsoever and is not a medical doctor. Do I need to post the curricula differences again, or do you remember them from before??? You know your argument sucks, hence why you keep doing things like telling an accepted medical student that I have 'so much to learn' when you're going to Optometry school (eventually). Do you not see how insane that is??? I don't claim to have a great knowledge of how physician's memories work or, hell, even experience in the rotation/residency system, but I am god damn sure I know more than you. God DAMN sure.

What's the point of experience if you don't remember them? As far as I can tell you agreed with me on every single one of my points above.

1.you are a pre-optometry student who has lurked into the DO forums from a completely unrelated set of forums to argue a case. You have left your home turf and come to mine, not the other way around, and I am the insecure one??? You kicked down my front door while I'm watching the Laker game on the couch, started screaming, and I'm the irrational, ignorant one???

Maybe you need to look up what insecure and ignorant means. Your definitions suck.

2. After a string of posts in this thread about why you want to have your cake and eat it to, you are still doing things like starting threads in the OD forums asking who can prescribe contact lenses, AND essentially were told that in places like CA, any MD/DO can legally, and essentially any opthalm can, anywhere, but you still feel the need to tell me I'm insecure?? Where are the threads I started asking these questions???

Again...look up what insecure means. I may have been misinformed but the fact that you took the time to look up my previous posts shows your insecurity.

3. You blatantly said that an MD/DO calling themselves a doctor in a hospital was just as dangerous as an OD calling themselves a doctor in the hospital. Yeah, totally valid, logic, and secure. You're right, I'm the one making ranting, blanket claims.

So a pathologist in the ED calling themselves "doctor" is not potentially dangerous? I am not asking if it is correct or if the pathologist has the right to do so. Like I said before 5+ years out...they won't remember a thing they learned in med school or in residency that does not pertain to their specialty.

4. I tell you I think you are being absurd. Not only do I do this, but I also demonstrate that I'm not so big of an ass as to think that any MD/DO can fly into a situation and be the chief (obviously they can't), but I also demonstrate where physicians are given experience in these areas AND still explain that I think EMS/RNs who deal with this stuff all day can handle it just as well. Does this sound like someone who is insecure??? Admitting that a paramedic can do a medical job better than a physician like I am trying to become???

But offering my thoughts to a discussion in a forum that you claim I am not welcome at is insecure?

So what if you admit a paramedic or RN knows more than a physician in some situations. You still won't admit that a medical doctor who was trained in something but then forgot is as useless as a OD who never learned that material in the first place. Both don't have the knowledge yet one is more dangerous than the other??

5. You then make no regards to my comment, proceed to tell me that I know nothing about this process, act like some old sage (when chances are you are younger than me and have never stepped foot inside these forums before this thread), and then call me insecure and ignorant? Neither could be further from the truth.

Your past posts on this thread are evidence enough of your ignorance. The fact that you sequester all MD/DO into one category is pure ignorance.

In the pre-med forum every pre-med thinks this way. But this is not the case. And shadowing a physician might give you a glimpse of the real world but until you sit in a room full of physicians uninhibited by political correctness...you will not know what, for example, IM thinks of EM or medicine thinks of surgery, etc. There is massive turf war in medicine. Like I said...you will see once you start rotations or residency.

Listen ... the argument of this entire thread is simple, let me break it down one more time (with emphasis on things we discussed) so you can see:...3. In a hospital setting, the appropriate candidate for the doctor title are medical doctors: IE MDs and DOs. The hospital is a unique setting in that a misrepresentation of a title can lead to serious consequences as physicians in the hospital are responsible for patient care, and if a patient assumes a non-physician is a doctor, people can get hurt.

4. Since it is bad to have patients suffer, it is probably only appropriate for physicians to call themselves doctors in a hospital setting. This leads to the best patient care (though it could bruise some egos).

(onto our argument)

5. Though they may not be experts in emergency medicine, or even remember much about how to handle critical situations, given the ultimatum between a physician in any field (even one as far away from threatening situations as pathology or dermatology) and an Optometrist handling a critical, emergency situation, the physician would be the appropriate choice and would be much 'less dangerous' than an OD trying to handle the situation. Support for this argument can be seen in the difference in training (both in the classroom and clinical level) between ODs and DO/MDs.

I know what the thread is about. Fact is you continue to group MD/DO into one category. No matter how much you argue that they are still physicians...5+ years out, it doesn't matter. You know what you see.

And your scenarios are purely dumb. These scenarios will never ever happen in the real world. When will an OD, dermatologist, or pathologist ever encounter an emergency situation without the necessary protocols in place to get a more competent physician in place? Rediculous "what if" scenarios such as these are proof of how ignorant you are of real medicine.

Ohhh man, people started busting out with the curriculum of an MD vs OD. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

You're cracking me up buddy. I really don't want to sit here and bicker with you forever. I'm starting to feel like I'm picking on you, and that's not cool. I'll touch base on a few points here, but it probably won't give you the solace you seek in this argument, which is fine, because I've personally had enough:

Maybe you need to look up what insecure and ignorant means. Your definitions suck.

Hahahaha. I'm actually laughing out loud right now. 'Your definitions SUCK.' Awesome.

the fact that you took the time to look up my previous posts shows your insecurity.

Nah, it really doesn't, but .... I found that thread by random chance one day. I sleuth pretty much all over the site, and I was in OD one day trying to look something up and it was the thread at the top of the forums, I had just discussed the subject in this thread, so I looked it up.

So a pathologist in the ED calling themselves "doctor" is not potentially dangerous?

I really don't know. I see what you are trying to get at here/with your entire argument, but I just don't think it holds weight here. I know you are getting frustrated because I am acting like anyone with an MD/DO is adequately trained to be a doctor in every field, and I assure you, this is not true, at all. I know that a pathologist isn't trained to handle emergency medicine, and I'm not trying to 'lump' them altogether. However, I'm probably going to say that it's fine for a path guy to call himself a doctor in an ER.

But offering my thoughts to a discussion in a forum that you claim I am not welcome at is insecure?

I didn't say you weren't welcome here, what I meant was that if you didn't feel the need to be defensive and argue, why would you come into the threads??? If you really felt there was some misinformation, you could have posted one big correction and went on. I think the fact that we're still going and that you keep making bigger and bigger claims makes you look insecure (I'll go look it up to double check).

So what if you admit a paramedic or RN knows more than a physician in some situations. You still won't admit that a medical doctor who was trained in something but then forgot is as useless as a OD who never learned that material in the first place. Both don't have the knowledge yet one is more dangerous than the other??

Ehhh ... you're going too far. A medical doctor that hasn't completed a residency in a certain field still isn't useless in that situation. Just because a pathologist isn't a ER doc, doesn't mean they couldn't suture, run lines, order meds, give basic exams, etc. However, an OD, as far as I know, couldn't do any of this. This isn't even taking into account that the pathologist could be so rusty that he couldn't remember exactly how to do it, I'm just saying the OD has most likely NEVER done this and probably actually can't by law. I'm sorry, but I still see someone who is rusty, but has experience and can legally do something as safer than someone who has never done it and legally can't. I mean, is that really so crazy??

Let me give you another one of these inane scenarios you love so much:

You have just graduated college (4 years). The last Calculus class you ever took was your senior year of high school, so it has been four years ago since you took calculus and you have ingested tons of information since then, but really haven't touched calculus since. Your best friend stopped studying mathematics in any way, shape or form at Algebra. Now, a young student comes up to you and says hey, I need help with my simple calculus homework. Now, you took calculus 4 years ago and you are rusty, but you still TOOK it at some point. Your friend has NEVER taken calculus and only made it up to Algebra. Who helps the kid?? In this situation, who is more suited to give ANY advice whatsoever??? Are you guys on an equal playing field just because you haven't used it in a long time, but he never took it??? Of course, pretty simplistic example, but the point is there: you aren't a calculus master. You are never going to work as a calculus tutor and just because you took this class does NOT mean you would be bold enough to step in and start tutoring (just how I don't think anyone with an MD/DO could step up and work proficiently in any field simply because they have an MD/DO), but you still took the class and CAN do something to help this kid. Your friend who stopped at Algebra absolutely cannot because he has never taken calculus. Even if all you can do is tell him that you have to do stuff with derivatives or vaguely look at the book and slowly remember things, you are still more qualified than your friend. Who is going to do less harm? Who can actually do ANYTHING?????? Who is going to be less dangerous to this kid's progress if it came down to it???

Your past posts on this thread are evidence enough of your ignorance. The fact that you sequester all MD/DO into one category is pure ignorance.

Puuuurree ignorance. Now you're making me sound evil or something. My posts in these threads have been super neutral to be honest. Look at some of my posting history if you really want to see me acting like an ass. I also explained above that I'm not lumping any MD/DO as trained in all medical fields/able to complete any medical task.

In the pre-med forum every pre-med thinks this way. But this is not the case. And shadowing a physician might give you a glimpse of the real world but until you sit in a room full of physicians uninhibited by political correctness...you will not know what, for example, IM thinks of EM or medicine thinks of surgery, etc. There is massive turf war in medicine. Like I said...you will see once you start rotations or residency.

I'm sorry ... I still can't get over these statements from you. Have you had any real healthcare experiences with doctors and areas they are sufficient to practice in, or what one does and does not learn in rotations and residency??? These claims you are making are super bold. I don't pretend to understand those levels, but as far as I can tell ... you have less knowledge of that world (way less) than I do. Am I wrong??? I wish you'd say if you've worked in healthcare or were a doc or something, because otherwise this condescending attitude is very, very weird to me.

I know what the thread is about. Fact is you continue to group MD/DO into one category. No matter how much you argue that they are still physicians...5+ years out, it doesn't matter. You know what you see.

Again, you're going too far. I'm not lumping them ... please see my explanation above.

And your scenarios are purely dumb. These scenarios will never ever happen in the real world. When will an OD, dermatologist, or pathologist ever encounter an emergency situation without the necessary protocols in place to get a more competent physician in place? Rediculous "what if" scenarios such as these are proof of how ignorant you are of real medicine.

Dude, the scenario that started this entire thread was dumb, every example has been absurd, but the thesis of the thread is solid: people using doctor title in appropriate clinical settings to avoid patient confusion/harm. Do I touch the fact that you misspelled ridiculous while calling me ignorant?? Nah, too easy ... too easy. Every response I have made was to the scenario you suggested.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You have just graduated college (4 years). The last Calculus class you ever took was your senior year of high school, so it has been four years ago since you took calculus and you have ingested tons of information since then, but really haven't touched calculus since. Your best friend stopped studying mathematics in any way, shape or form at Algebra. Now, a young student comes up to you and says hey, I need help with my simple calculus homework. Now, you took calculus 4 years ago and you are rusty, but you still TOOK it at some point. Your friend has NEVER taken calculus and only made it up to Algebra. Who helps the kid?? In this situation, who is more suited to give ANY advice whatsoever??? Are you guys on an equal playing field just because you haven't used it in a long time, but he never took it??? Of course, pretty simplistic example, but the point is there: you aren't a calculus master. You are never going to work as a calculus tutor and just because you took this class does NOT mean you would be bold enough to step in and start tutoring (just how I don't think anyone with an MD/DO could step up and work proficiently in any field simply because they have an MD/DO), but you still took the class and CAN do something to help this kid. Your friend who stopped at Algebra absolutely cannot because he has never taken calculus. Even if all you can do is tell him that you have to do stuff with derivatives or vaguely look at the book and slowly remember things, you are still more qualified than your friend. Who is going to do less harm? Who can actually do ANYTHING?????? Who is going to be less dangerous to this kid's progress if it came down to it???

Let's get rid of all the other fluff and get back to the discussion at hand.

You and I are essentially saying the same thing but arriving at a different conclusion. Not wrong...just different because I think we are looking at it at different perspectives. I think we have both agreed on several things. 1) the proper specialist is the best at their "turf" be it at the OR or the ED. 2) an OD or pathologist or dermatologist is ill equipped to handle the ED.

What you are saying is that the pathologist or whomever will be more knowledgable than the OD. Technically they would BUT it is not enough to give proper care. We both agree on this. I never once said that an OD can handle anything in the ED nor did I say that an OD would be better than a path or derm in this situation. What I did say is that neither an OD or pathologist or dermatologist is competent enough in the ED. Therefore mistaking an OD or pathologist or whatever as the EM physician...the "doctor"...would be dangerous.

Just because path or derm is "less dangerous" doesn't make them NOT dangerous.

Again I never said an OD is less dangerous or anything like that. I am simply saying that from a practical point of view BOTH are pretty much useless.

In the one in a billion chance that such a scenario does play out...it would be at the best interest of the patient's health and the doc's license to call a code or follow the proper protocol set forth by the hospital.

Let's get rid of all the other fluff and get back to the discussion at hand.

You and I are essentially saying the same thing but arriving at a different conclusion. Not wrong...just different because I think we are looking at it at different perspectives. I think we have both agreed on several things. 1) the proper specialist is the best at their "turf" be it at the OR or the ED. 2) an OD or pathologist or dermatologist is ill equipped to handle the ED.

What you are saying is that the pathologist or whomever will be more knowledgable than the OD. Technically they would BUT it is not enough to give proper care. We both agree on this. I never once said that an OD can handle anything in the ED nor did I say that an OD would be better than a path or derm in this situation. What I did say is that neither an OD or pathologist or dermatologist is competent enough in the ED. Therefore mistaking an OD or pathologist or whatever as the EM physician...the "doctor"...would be dangerous.

Just because path or derm is "less dangerous" doesn't make them NOT dangerous.

Again I never said an OD is less dangerous or anything like that. I am simply saying that from a practical point of view BOTH are pretty much useless.

In the one in a billion chance that such a scenario does play out...it would be at the best interest of the patient's health and the doc's license to call a code or follow the proper protocol set forth by the hospital.

Sounds quite logical and fair. I think we can put any small differences in opinion aside and agree that this is a pretty valid conclusion that, as you said, we both essentially came to (or close enough to) by different paths.

Why the AMA is against non-physician calling themselves doctors in clinical settings? We all know why... because people equate doctors to physicians (MD/DO) in clinical settings. We can argue or bicker all we want; however, this is not gonna change that fact.

Listen ... the argument of this entire thread is simple, let me break it down one more time (with emphasis on things we discussed) so you can see:

1. ODs are doctors. They have a doctorate in optometry and are licensed to practice optometry. Calling themselves doctors in their office, or a party, or in public is absolutely fine.

2. Anyone with a doctoral degree can call themselves a doctor. This is fine. However, the problem is that people have doctorates in specific subjects, and when people call themselves doctor in a situation where the norm for responsibilities of a 'doctor' does not fall under the umbrella of their doctorate, it is inappropriate.

3. In a hospital setting, the appropriate candidate for the doctor title are medical doctors: IE MDs and DOs. The hospital is a unique setting in that a misrepresentation of a title can lead to serious consequences as physicians in the hospital are responsible for patient care, and if a patient assumes a non-physician is a doctor, people can get hurt.

:rolleyes: You're an idiot.

YES: it is bad to have patients suffer. But I tell you this: when I earn my Pharm.D and am a clinical pharmacist, I WILL be called Doctor as is my right. This does. not. give. harm. to. patients. as long as I practice within my scope. CLEARLY an OD knows less about bleeding from the jugular than an MD/DO, but just as clearly if the OD doesn't run up and say "BACK UP EVERYONE, I AM A DOCTOR! I CAN SAVE HIM!" it reallllly shouldn't be an issue.

When I go to give a consult, I will say "Hi, My name is Dr. Carboxide and I'm the consulting pharmacist for you." If a patient stopped me and said, "oh, I need your help, Doctor, with my gashed jugular" I would say, "Hang right on, let me get someone to help you." Is that so hard??

End story: practice within your scope (MDs, DOs and all other health care professionals included) and it won't be an issue.

dear god this thread is ridiculous.

edit: carboxide wins.

YES: it is bad to have patients suffer. But I tell you this: when I earn my Pharm.D and am a clinical pharmacist, I WILL be called Doctor as is my right. This does. not. give. harm. to. patients. as long as I practice within my scope. CLEARLY an OD knows less about bleeding from the jugular than an MD/DO, but just as clearly if the OD doesn't run up and say "BACK UP EVERYONE, I AM A DOCTOR! I CAN SAVE HIM!" it reallllly shouldn't be an issue.

When I go to give a consult, I will say "Hi, My name is Dr. Carboxide and I'm the consulting pharmacist for you." If a patient stopped me and said, "oh, I need your help, Doctor, with my gashed jugular" I would say, "Hang right on, let me get someone to help you." Is that so hard??

End story: practice within your scope (MDs, DOs and all other health care professionals included) and it won't be an issue.

Pharm.D and OD aren't doctors. Period.

they are. it's in their names. period.

has anyone actually delinated some real consequences that could come from the patient thinking a PharmD/OD whatever is a physicians?

:rolleyes: I'll watch you eat those words when you're paging the on-call pharmacist to help you...that is, once you get accepted to medical school and actually make it through.

You're not gonna become a doctor. Period.
wonder_woman.jpg

:thumbup:... This seems like such a "DUH!" moment. Any responsible doctor would work within his area of speciality, and try to make what field that would be clear to the patient. There are plenty of other professions where the titles are shared but yet they don't seem to have a problem sharing the title and respecting eachother without stepping on eachother's toes or acting out of turn. It's like not respecting your Professor... or rather Doctor(Ph.D)... and calling him by his first name out of the classroom. He obviously isn't going to allow a patient to mistake him for a physician or try to step in where a doctor of medicien is needed.

Responding back to the OP questions about if it's proper to call an OD a "Doctor," I think the better question to ask him would be, "Is the doctor acting properly? Is he acting out of turn?" As Doctors we are given a lot of blind trust, and patients aren't always going to be most well informed. There's a lot of responsiblity for us to act properly and know when we dont' know the answer or when we aren't the right person for the task at hand... and go ask for that Pharmistist for a consult for example.

It really seem like a question of ego. We don't see laywers or Judges running around calling themselves doctors when they have a JD. So... for those concerned about nurses possibly earning a doctoerate in the future, I think following the tradition of the profession we will still be calling them our "Nurse."...respectfully and not just because we would like to hoard the title.

Last edited:

I'm sorry, did you even read what I wrote? The person that post was directed towards and I both discussed how much absurd hyperbole was in the examples and agreed it was asinine and for this thread only. Also, everything you said, I agree with. So calm down, Jesus, you literally summed up my points (practice within your scope, patient safety, etc),

I'm sorry, did you even read what I wrote? The person that post was directed towards and I both discussed how much absurd hyperbole was in the examples and agreed it was asinine and for this thread only. Also, everything you said, I agree with. So calm down, Jesus, you literally summed up my points (practice within your scope, patient safety, etc),

I'm glad we're in agreement. What I got from you, however, is that anyone who does not have an MD or DO is not a doctor and doesn't deserve the title in clinical settings - and that I disagree with.

I think Dr. Carboxide and Dr. Jaggerplate should make up and have a beer.

I'm glad we're in agreement. What I got from you, however, is that anyone who does not have an MD or DO is not a doctor and doesn't deserve the title in clinical settings - and that I disagree with.

Same, I completely disagree as well, and I think that my points just got muddled in all the arguments thrown around in the thread. We're on the same page.

:thumbup:... This seems like such a "DUH!" moment. Any responsible doctor would work within his area of speciality, and try to make what field that would be clear to the patient. There are plenty of other professions where the titles are shared but yet they don't seem to have a problem sharing the title and respecting eachother without stepping on eachother's toes or acting out of turn. It's like not respecting your Professor... or rather Doctor(Ph.D)... and calling him by his first name out of the classroom. He obviously isn't going to allow a patient to mistake him for a physician or try to step in where a doctor of medicien is needed.

Responding back to the OP questions about if it's proper to call an OD a "Doctor," I think the better question to ask him would be, "Is the doctor acting properly? Is he acting out of turn?" As Doctors we are given a lot of blind trust, and patients aren't always going to be most well informed. There's a lot of responsiblity for us to act properly and know when we dont' know the answer or when we aren't the right person for the task at hand... and go ask for that Pharmistist for a consult for example.

It really seem like a question of ego. We don't see laywers or Judges running around calling themselves doctors when they have a JD. So... for those concerned about nurses possibly earning a doctoerate in the future, I think following the tradition of the profession we will still be calling them our "Nurse."...respectfully and not just because we would like to hoard the title.

This is pretty much how I feel about the topic. Also, to be clear, it has been a while since anyone has suggested that the other doctorates are not "real doctors", and most of the people guilty of it were being facetious.

"Real doctor"... kinda makes me laugh n gives me flash back of when everyone was talking about dr phil and if he was a REAL doctor or just a TV doctor. :laugh: (He's a Ph.D.)

Sorry, I had a "troll" moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.