Optomcas GPA different?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mik194

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So schools have different criteria. Some look at overall while some look at science. Or overall+ prerequisite. There is no prerequisite gpa listed on optomcas. But my overall was calculated to be 3.17 and my science gpa even lower :/ These are including classes that were not for my major at a community college. But will most schools look at the overall gpa listed on optomcas?

Members don't see this ad.

So schools have different criteria. Some look at overall while some look at science. Or overall+ prerequisite. There is no prerequisite gpa listed on optomcas. But my overall was calculated to be 3.17 and my science gpa even lower :/ These are including classes that were not for my major at a community college. But will most schools look at the overall gpa listed on optomcas?
As I understand it, there's one standard calculation to determine overall GPA and Science GPA. The OptomCAS calculation is gospel. Individual colleges may stress a preference for a certain level of GPA for each. Then again, I believe your application can still be strong w/ lower GPA if you pull out a strong OAT performance and present a professional clean application. Stay strong!

As I understand it, there's one standard calculation to determine overall GPA and Science GPA. The OptomCAS calculation is gospel. Individual colleges may stress a preference for a certain level of GPA for each. Then again, I believe your application can still be strong w/ lower GPA if you pull out a strong OAT performance and present a professional clean application. Stay strong!

Thanks! I'll be starting Optometry school in 2 weeks :)