opto schools are unfair

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulod07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
this is my second year applying because last year I applied to late (just before the deadline) and didn't get in. Yeah my gpa is bad (2.9) but I got 360 TS and TA, the first time I took it and I still can't even get a damn interview. My application isn't impressive mainly because I work 5 days a week while still being a full time student and have been doing so since I was a freshmen so I don't have time to volunteer. I commute to school every day which is a 2 hour trip each way so yes I do miss class. My scores on the OAT are even more impressive considering I didn't spend a single dime on the study materials because all I used for my study was the Kaplan Mcat from the library. I really don't understand why gpa is such a huge deal because aren't we told growing up its okay to make mistakes as long you learn from them, so I made mistakes in school but I learned from them and did good on the OAT. Or maybe I should just change my name to Richie Whittey maybe that might help me get in. No wonder so many people drop out of college.

Members don't see this ad.

How does you having a weaker than average application make opto schools unfair? It's not like they "know" you and understand that you've had a hard time. Perhaps instead of listing a bunch of complaints/excuses, you could list more about yourself (extracurriculars, etc) for the fine people on the opto forum to give you some advice and areas to work on to get yourself admission.

"Grades and OAT scores are important, because they tend to be good predictors of potential success in the optometry curriculum. The range of the average grade point (GPA) for the 2003 entering class at all sixteen optometry schools was 3.20 to 3.66 with the overall range being 2.35 to 4.0. The average OAT scores for all sixteen schools and colleges ranged from 310 to 358 on a scale that ranges from 200 to 400. Admission Committees tend to look for consistency in the applicant's overall GPA and the OAT scores."
-from http://career.berkeley.edu/Health/OptomApp.stm#importance

i feel you need to vent but perhaps your efforts would be best spent doing something about your application. Did you ever call the schools you applied to and ASK them why you were not granted an interview and/or how you can make your application more competitive? They are very forthcoming with this information so I am assuming you did not do this.

Another assumption I am making the assumption that you are still an undergrad. Many schools require you have your bachelors before even being considered. Your story is not unique. Something else to consider is experience in optometry. Do you have any? You didnt mention anything about that and THAT is the most important factor in applying. I mean really, how did you manage to write thoughtful essays?

Yeah. I am assuming a lot I know but I am so sick and tired of everyone thinking their situation is "unique." Who cares?! Doesn't change anything. Just deal with it. There are many students that had to apply to opto many times. Sucks but sometimes you just have to deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why didn't you apply earlier...it makes a HUGE difference...exp if you have experience, good OATs, and are agressive about proving how badly you want to get in...aka making sure you do everything you can. If you apply early and aren't "desired" they tell you how you can improve yourself and if you take their advice usually you'll get an interview if they see something in you enough not to reject you right away.

this is my second year applying because last year I applied to late (just before the deadline) and didn't get in. Yeah my gpa is bad (2.9) but I got 360 TS and TA, the first time I took it and I still can't even get a damn interview. My application isn't impressive mainly because I work 5 days a week while still being a full time student and have been doing so since I was a freshmen so I don't have time to volunteer. I commute to school every day which is a 2 hour trip each way so yes I do miss class. My scores on the OAT are even more impressive considering I didn't spend a single dime on the study materials because all I used for my study was the Kaplan Mcat from the library. I really don't understand why gpa is such a huge deal because aren't we told growing up its okay to make mistakes as long you learn from them, so I made mistakes in school but I learned from them and did good on the OAT. Or maybe I should just change my name to Richie Whittey maybe that might help me get in. No wonder so many people drop out of college.

To be honest one of the main reasons is because you applied a day before the deadline. Many classes are filling up or are full at this point. Otherwise it is possible that you'd get at least an interview otherwise.

You just have to be more dedicated/motivated to do well. My first two years of college I worked 3rd shift full time and went to school full time. The last 2 years I worked about 30 hours a week, volunteered at a VA eye clinic, and still pulled off a 3.54 GPA. (Sacrificing 10 hours a week from work to Volunteer isn't too bad). Granted I had no life, but to me it was worth the sacrifice.

dr. laura would say, "stop whining and either quit or do something about it."

although i understand why you feel frustrated, this post makes you sound quite immature (extremely whiney and irrational). you can't expect the adcoms ignore any negative aspects about your application and only look at your OAT scores. i know quite a few people who have gotten into opto school with a 2.9. maybe you filled your essay with complaints and excuses, and like you said, did not have enough internships and community involvement (there really is no excuse, especially "i have no time"). everyone has special circumstances and the ones who really know what they want will take the time and effort to get themselves there. I personally had the daily routine similiar to this: 8-12 school 1-4 internship 5-9 work 9-?? study. needless to say i didn't have a stellar GPA but did have a strong application otherwise. you're not the only one who have had hardships in your life, nor are you the only person who have learned from your mistakes. fact is, many people avoided making those mistakes in the first place and that makes them a better applicant. "unfair"? naw :laugh:

i am currently in similar situation, except I have since graduated last year and my GPA is lower than yours. I have been calling to all the schools that I have applied for and got various responses. One school told me to continue to take more science courses while the other told me that there is no chance for me to get in with my stats. *sigh* i'm pretty bummed out right now considering it is my 2nd time applying, which is also kind of embarrassing. Even though the other school flat out told me that I have no chances of getting in, I'm still going to push myself to try even harder.

You're still a sophomore so you still have plenty of time to improve your GPA. Unfortunately for me, I wasn't able to pull off my GPA..so I'm stuck in the rut and I still don't know what to do.

I worked 3 (I worked at ophthalmologist office part time for 3.5 years) jobs at times during my undergrad to support myself and my family after my father became disabled due to multiple failed cornea transplants. I managed a 3.25 gpa in community college and 3.81 at University of Maryland. I even managed to buy a house and do property managment on top of all this. I didn't do too well on my OAT score I got a 310. FL told me retake the OATs..NECO gave me an interview which I turned down b/c I allready had got accepted to PCO.

My whole point is that just working is not a good excuse for them. I know alot of people who work multiple jobs but manage to do well in school. Honestly I partied on the side too.
What kind of job did you have? Did you put all of these things in your personal statement? or the additional note?
One thing i noticed that some schools do (NOVA in FL) they really didn't review my application ..they just told me to go re-do my oat...honestly I was like w/e since they were my back up school and I had got an interview with PCO allready!

Some people go and take some extra bio classes and make sure they get A or retake the one's they did bad on and get an A in that one year they wait. What did you do the past year? Or at least work at an optometrist or ophthalmologist office to get exposure!

I really don't understand why gpa is such a huge deal because aren't we told growing up its okay to make mistakes as long you learn from them, so I made mistakes in school but I learned from them and did good on the OAT. Or maybe I should just change my name to Richie Whittey maybe that might help me get in. No wonder so many people drop out of college.

We aretold that mistakes are okay to make as long as you learn from them.. so take this as your "mistake" and learn from it.. or grow.. or something equally as cheesy. :oops:

Try and focus on what your real goals are (do you really want to do this?), do some volunteer work, bring up your GPA, possibly cut back on some work hours. If you're having hardships, then emphasize it more (if you didn't in the first place) on your personals.

... and I hate to sound like a broken record.. but just quit complaining. A stellar OAT never got anyone in without a nice GPA and a strong volunteer background to match it. (GPA and OAT go hand in hand)

Or maybe I should just change my name to Richie Whittey maybe that might help me get in. No wonder so many people drop out of college.

Wow, on top of an A+ sob story, you decide to imply racism with your post. Nice work, a$$.

i feel like you come from a pretty tough financial background, having to work so much and commute so far. Don't let these blunt comments get to you. All you need is some encouragement and help, and a lot of the people who are supposed to be serving people are just giving you everything but support. Try to stay strong, and keep your eyes set in front of the goal. Remember why you are doing this, and if the reasons aren't so great, perhaps this wasn't for you. It's all okay. It's only late if you believe it is. Stay strong and be kind!

Wow, on top of an A+ sob story, you decide to imply racism with your post. Nice work, a$$.

I wonder if he realized white males may very well be a minority in some optometry schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if he realized white males may very well be a minority in some optometry schools.

I'm not even going to have a discussion about race because it only pisses someone off. Like me, when the OP lost what little respect I had for him by adding the race element to his pathetic sob story.

I've known other applicants (including myself) who had very tough situations and managed to sound triumphant in their essays and applications, and many of which landed in optometry school. Try turning your weaknesses into strengths. So instead of complaining about your low GPA, how about proving to the schools you can handle a rigorous curriculum by retaking some science classes? Schools want to hear you can achieve just as much as other applicants, regardless of your situation. Admissions panels may cut you some slack in the GPA or OAT portion if you have strong extracurriculars or work/internship/volunteering experiences on top of your hardships. If you can't balance your personal issues (i.e. finances, work, family) with your education RIGHT NOW, then you might have the same problem DURING optometry school. The OAT is a fraction of your application, so prove to the schools you can be a competitive candidate in several other areas.

Life isn't fair, but why complain and not do something about it. You do not volunteer and you have a low gpa. Right from the get go you are at a disadvantage compared to other applicants. Why not strengthen your weakness and retake some courses as well as try to find time to volunteer.

Do you think that everyone else that receive and interview is less qualify than you are?

It's good to vent, and in no way am I talking down to you. Sometimes you just need an honest opinion to encourage you to try harder.

good luck.

It is absolutely true that we must make our own mistakes and learn from them. However we must also provide evidence that we have learned from them and most if not all optometry schools know this. If your upper year grades are significantly better than your earlier years than this is sifficient evidence that you have learned how to succeed in a university program. Is this the case? or have you remained on the same level. Also optometry schools look for maturity in their applicants which from the first post in this thread looks like it needs work. Yes I applied late too but I got an interview with NECO but got rejected. As disappointed as I am I still fell that it was a fair process because I was given a chance that I totally blew at the interview.

Do what my signature says and you'll be fine...

Or maybe I should just change my name to Richie Whittey maybe that might help me get in. No wonder so many people drop out of college.

+pity+

Just one thing I would like to add, if your not accepted because you have a low GPA its not that the institution doesn't want your money no matter what ethnic group you come from....they're probaly doing you favor because though GPA is not everything its a good indicator of the amount of difficulty you will have getting through Optometry College.

I would suggest taking this time to think about what you can do to improve your chances of getting in.

Take some classes as a post-bacc and make some AWESOME A grades. This will prove that you are capable of handling the classes in Opt. school. They won't take someone with a 2.9 GPA because they don't think you'll be able to handle classes at their school. Show them the best of you.

GPA isn't everything, but I think that it's a "deal breaker".

Or maybe I should just change my name to Richie Whittey maybe that might help me get in.

I don't know about optometry, but if you apply to other professional schools you might want to consider Jamaal or Antwan, etc. maybe even Jorge.