options for internship/housemanship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docjay

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

gr8 to see such a forum. i just recently graduated from the national uni of singapore mbbs. am considering housemanship options abroad (i.e. outside singapore).

USA is one option. figure one needs to take the ecfmg/usmle boards b4 being allowed for internship+residency. plus m interested in ophthalmology in particular. any advice on this anyone?

further on in the US option, have heard that many Indian students who sit for their USMLEs get like 99-100%?!? is that so? heard this from my cousin n india whos studying in a med school there. SO if theres anyone of ya guys out there gettin hundreds etc, care to share the experience and advice? WOULD BE REALLY APRECIATED!

how about other options like the UK? heard singapore grads as of this year on need to do the PLAB/IELTS.

Am also considering options like Aust n New Zealand.

Any ideas and advice anyone??? I do apologize for my subject is indeed broad. but lookin forward to some good constructive advice/suggestions.

info for those ppl who queried on singapore life as docs

N yes, to those who intend to pursue careers in singapore, it is a nice place n docs do NOT have it easy (whoever said tt?!)... it is a lot of hardwork. been living in this place for the past 15 years of my 23 year lifespan.

n yes i can vouch that it is a nice clean developed city-country where everyones gotta play by the rules. Theres a lotta stress n one gets v absorbed in ones own life (esp docs). And yes, cars cost minumum US$35000 n houses at least US$200K ...

LETS KEEP this forum for the QUERIES tt i posted ya? the singapore bit was only for the info of those whod posted such queries on other threads whod prolly chance upon this thread as well...

Thanx a mil guys. looking forward to your responses.

Members don't see this ad.

hey doc jay,
i just into nus and a few london and irish unis given that u just finished nus, which do u think i shld choose,local or abroad.

also,just out of curiosity, how is it poss for sing grads to go abbroad for residency, isnt there a six year bond or sth?

appreciate ur advice

Hi docjay,
I am an indian med grad.
Honestly, no one can get 100 % in usmle, but yes i have seen numerous indian med students with 99s. It is difficult to get say how they do it, but many of us use a lot of question banks, BRS books, kaplan notes and so on. Many study in groups. Secondly most of us take usmle while we are studying for the indian post grad entrances which are very tough.
Regarding ophthalmology, it is very competitive in the US. By 'competitive' i mean they take usually take american grads. This is the case with many other specialities. Despite the best possible scores and work experience, foreign grads cannot make it to some specialities(ophth is one). I myself tried for neurosurg.
You can look at the statistics for ophth at this site
http://www.ama-assn.org/vapp/freida/spcstsc/0,1238,240,00.html
You can also look at the stats for other specialities at
http://www.ama-assn.org/vapp/freida/spcindx/0,,TR,00.html
But it is very much possible to do a residency in medical specialities and subspecialities.
Good luck.