Options for a medical student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dill_funk

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm an MS3 that has been experiencing some regret about not applying for the HPSP scholarship at the beginning of medical school. I had serious considerations of joining the military following high school and again following undergrad. I'm happy to be where I'm at in medical school but find myself wishing I would have taken a shot at the HPSP scholarship.

I spoke to a recruiter that was helpful and laid out some opportunities available but just wanted some second opinions. I did a bit of digging on this forum and still had a few questions.

The recruiter and I spoke about the STRAP program, the HPLRP program, and the FAP program.

As far as I'm aware all three of those would be civilian residencies, the STRAP and HPLRP being reserve programs while the FAP program is direct commission.

I was curious if:

1. There are any programs available that allow you to commission to active duty and participate in a military residency?
2. Is the HPSP program no longer a possiblity given where I'm at in my education, ie - is there any way to apply for an HPSP scholarship that could retroactively pay off student loan debt?
3. I often see the HPLRP program state that it will pay off a maximum of $250,000 of loans. Is there a minimum amount of loan money that would be eligible for repayment? aka will I know how much money towards repayment I will be receiving each year I am enrolled in the program?

Thanks and apologies if these questions have already been answered, I'm new to SDN.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think there is a way from civilian life right into a military internship/residency.

Here is a summary I posted last May of what is currently available

Thinking of joining the military? An overview of what is available (Army) at every stage of training.

Good luck.

Thank you! Preciate your help. Seems like the only way to a military residency is HPSP or USUSH. That list is super helpful and easy to follow - I'll do some research on those options.