Optical store vs. private practice vs. commerical

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefuloptpls

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am interested in pursuing a career in optometry but I had some confusions/questions I wanted to clear up! I did my research online, but I am still struggling a bit. What exactly is considered private practice and what is commercial? I know there are several modes of practices for optometrists.

Are the small eyewear stores that sell primarily sell glasses/contacts and offer free eye tests with the optometrists considered private or commercial? Additionally, do private practices generally only specialize in eye treatment or do they offer frames & contact lenses too just like the eyewear stores? If so, what exactly is the difference between those stores and the private practices?

Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

It's kind of all over the map...

In general:
A TRUE "private" practice has 100% control over how the practice is run and what they do. This means scheduling, hours, selling of eye glasses and contacts, type of practice modality - primary care vs. vision therapy vs. whatever else. Usually a private practice will have at least majority control over the optical, though not always.

Doctors who lease space next to Wal-Mart, Sams, Target, Pearle, etc. are in a kind of hybrid model. They often refer to their business as "private", but they are beholden to a lease agreement with the company which has an effect on how they conduct their business in basically every aspect listed above. The amount of autonomy you have depends on your lease. In most cases they have little to no stake in the optical.

A true "commercial" model is one where the OD is either directly employed by the company or is indirectly employed by the company through some sort of doctor-executive model.

Hope this helps.