Opt experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surgical_tomato

still soul searching...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'll be applying for opt school next year so I still have lots of time to prepare.
I have no experience shadowing / volunteering / working for an optometrist, and I’m wondering how much experience is recommended in an application.

I have 2 plans: (i) to volunteer once a week for 4 months OR (ii) to volunteer everyday for one week in an optometrist’s office. I want exposure to everything, but an optometrist's office and an optician's office are the only ideas I can think of.

What types of experiences have the rest of you applied with? (position + duration)

Thanks for your feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

I was the head receptionist and technician at a private practice for a full-year while taking pre-reqs at night.

probably overkill, but I wanted to make sure I knew exactly what I was getting in to! (since working full time in it was how I decided against pharmacy)

cpw said:
I was the head receptionist and technician at a private practice for a full-year while taking pre-reqs at night.

probably overkill, but I wanted to make sure I knew exactly what I was getting in to! (since working full time in it was how I decided against pharmacy)
How were you able to get jobs like that? Here, as far as I know, we can't really work in a pharmacy without being a pharmacist or a pharmacy technician or something.

Members don't see this ad :)
Edit to say: apparently I don't know how to read.

Chuffsla said:
How were you able to get jobs like that? Here, as far as I know, we can't really work in a pharmacy without being a pharmacist or a pharmacy technician or something.

I was a pharmacy technician for three years during high school and undergrad ;) And, all I had to do was apply and take the test :)

For the optometry job I applied, told them i wanted to go to OD school, and they hired me at my interview.

cpw said:
I was a pharmacy technician for three years during high school and undergrad ;) And, all I had to do was apply and take the test :)

For the optometry job I applied, told them i wanted to go to OD school, and they hired me at my interview.
Where/how did you apply to be a pharmacy technician and take the test? I thought there were courses you have to complete to do even that?

Also, what about working in a pharmacy turned you off that, if you don't mind me asking?

Depends on the state i believe.

surgical_tomato said:
Hey everyone,

I'll be applying for opt school next year so I still have lots of time to prepare.
I have no experience shadowing / volunteering / working for an optometrist, and I’m wondering how much experience is recommended in an application.

I have 2 plans: (i) to volunteer once a week for 4 months OR (ii) to volunteer everyday for one week in an optometrist’s office. I want exposure to everything, but an optometrist's office and an optician's office are the only ideas I can think of.

What types of experiences have the rest of you applied with? (position + duration)

Thanks for your feedback!

I shadowed an optometrist for 30 hours one week because one of the schools I thought about going to was Pacific and they required it. That was all the optometry experience I had when I applied.

I've worked as an assistant in a private practice for the past year. I also did 30 hours of observation outside of work: 10 hours in another private practice, 10 at the Reno VA, and 10 at a commerical location. As far as I know, Pacific is the only school that actually requires a certain number of hours of observation, but it will look much better at every school you apply to. I would do as much observation as humanly possible; I can't imagine getting into something that requires four years of your life and $100,000+, only to learn it wasn't what you thought it was! If you can, look for assistant, tech, or receptionist positions in your area, you will be exposed to a lot and will be that much more prepared for school!

Hey surgical tomato, when I was looking for optometric experience, it seemed like I was jumping "a day here" and "a day somewhere else", but not enough to get a long enough view of the field.

For alittle more consistant shadowing...like prettygreen eyes suggested, you should try your local Veteran Admin. Hospital. They are always looking for volunteers. I was able to do that the entire summer. I was actually the first person that they can remember to request to volunteer at the hospitals eye clinic.

A big plus is there are multiple Optometrists there, and 4th year students also. The students were a big help in giving me encouragement and sharing their stories with me.

drsax said:
Hey surgical tomato, when I was looking for optometric experience, it seemed like I was jumping "a day here" and "a day somewhere else", but not enough to get a long enough view of the field.

For alittle more consistant shadowing...like prettygreen eyes suggested, you should try your local Veteran Admin. Hospital. They are always looking for volunteers. I was able to do that the entire summer. I was actually the first person that they can remember to request to volunteer at the hospitals eye clinic.

A big plus is there are multiple Optometrists there, and 4th year students also. The students were a big help in giving me encouragement and sharing their stories with me.

Observing in a VA hospital may be a good experience but the VA is not the type of environment or the type of patient that 98% of ODs out there see. I fear that if you base your opinion on what the field of optometry is like based on what you see going on at a VA, you will be very surprised when you are done, unless working at a VA hospital is what your ultimate professional goal is.

surgical_tomato said:

If you want exposure to everything, by all means do your best to get that exposure. Try to get different ODs to let you shadow for a week (or even a day). Most are pretty willing to let prospective future doctors follow them around. Ask your own OD as well.
There are many different options in addition to a private practice and an optician's office. As was previously mentioned, there are VA Hospitals, as well as group practices, commercial practices, and specialized (i.e. contact lens, low vision) practices. The more exposure you get, the more you'll have to talk about at your interview in terms of what you liked and disliked about each mode of practice. Try and stick with at least one OD for a longer period of time. The rest can be shorter and probably still give you some insight. Plus, the one you shadow longest could probably write you a nice letter!

I agree with in_translation. The only thing I'd add is that the more exposure you get to different types of practice, the more you'll know (or not know) that optometry is for you.

It's definitely important to convince people at your interview that you know what you're getting into, but I think it's just as important to know for yourself that you have picked the right profession. Plus, the more you can picture yourself doing something specific when you graduate, the easier it will be to see the "light at the end of the tunnel" when you're knee-deep in basic science classes. ;)

i had a few years experience as an opt tech at a commercial-based practice and two years at a private practice which i still currently work at. it definitely gives you a good feel of the field and whether it is what you really want to pursue. take all the opportunities that come your way. it's a wonderful learning experience too!