opt. experience vs. extracurricular act.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jc812

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm new here.. please read and let me know what you think!

I currently work at an opt. office and am in my second year of college (GSU).I've finally decided to put my all into becoming an OD. As far as prereq's go.. I'm set bc my major is bio.

I've read on a couple of opt. school sites that these extracurricular or opt. experience is something that will make you stand out as an applicant, esp. since I come from a regular university. I still have 2-3 years ahead of me before I grad. (with a current gpa of 3.37) and would like to know if anyone has any advice for me... or if anyone would have done anything differently before getting into opt. school. Should I get as involved as I think I should or focus more on my studies?

Also, are there any ratings as far as optometry schools go? I read somewhere else on this site that nova isn't great as far as their curriculum.. I'd like to hear more about other schools! I have a considerable amount of time ahead of me and would like to prepare as much as I can! Thanks! :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

jc812 said:
I currently work at an opt. office and am in my second year of college (GSU).I've finally decided to put my all into becoming an OD. As far as prereq's go.. I'm set bc my major is bio.

What made you want to do OD?
Should I get as involved as I think I should or focus more on my studies?
Read some of the earlier posts about experience. Working an opt office already gives you an advantage, but you might want to expand that by working private/commerical offices. Also, be involved in your school clubs like student gov't, honor societies, boys and girls club..etc.
Also, are there any ratings as far as optometry schools go? I read somewhere else on this site that nova isn't great as far as their curriculum.. I'd like to hear more about other schools! I have a considerable amount of time ahead of me and would like to prepare as much as I can! Thanks! :oops:
There is no offical rating of opt schools. Most people compare board exams scores from each school. NOVA is a big university and some opt students take classes with dental and DO students. They are also the newest accredited opt school. Try not to base where you want to go by people's postings here. Apply to all the schools you're interested in, interview, tour, and then make your decision.

blazenmadison said:
What made you want to do OD?
what an applicant essay question/interview question!

The fact that I get satisfaction out of someone saying "I can actually see!" when they get a new prescription (assuming that it works.. or even if it took some hard work).. this is sadly true.

everything about it interests me.. from the diff. diseases to just some small infections/reactions. I've got some sad eyes myself, so I feel like I can relate..

I'll check out what I can do as far as involvement.. it's a large school, so i feel like I can disappear very easily.

Is anyone involved in a pre-opt. club?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am involved in a pre-opt club. Its called POPS (pre optometry professional society) it is a very great thing to get involved in if your school offers it!

anguyen531 said:
I am involved in a pre-opt club. Its called POPS (pre optometry professional society) it is a very great thing to get involved in if your school offers it!

My school doesn't.. and the biology director doesn't see much hope in starting one either. I just wanted to know how common those are.

jc812 said:
I have a considerable amount of time ahead of me and would like to prepare as much as I can!
Try getting on the schools' websites to gather information, as well as contacting the schools so they will send you information. This lets them know you're interested and will allow you a bit of a glimpse into the personality of each school.

does your school have a pre-health advising center? my school didnt have a POPS chapter either but I just started talking to other universities that had it and I actually started the chapter myself and it has been going great for 2 years now. it's just great exposing the field to others and getting our field out there!!

anguyen531 said:
does your school have a pre-health advising center? my school didnt have a POPS chapter either but I just started talking to other universities that had it and I actually started the chapter myself and it has been going great for 2 years now. it's just great exposing the field to others and getting our field out there!!

I'm actually not sure. We're not a very medical-oriented school, I guess. we're more of a business school?
Like i mentioned earlier, I asked the lady in charge of bio at my school and she sounded like it wouldn't be very successful as there are not many students interested in the area.

But that does give me hope, I'll do some more research and let you know!

A few questions:
How did you get it started?
How many members?