Opportunities to practice medicine in the Philippines?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pinky

and the Brain
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a US med school grad and currently an anesthesiology resident. I was wondering what I would have to do to spend a couple of months per year practicing medicine in the Philippines, especially in the impoverished areas. Do I need to apply for a temporary license, take tests? I have an american medical license - just got my Illinois medical license after passing step 3.

I am American by birth but Pilipino by ethnicity. When I was in college, late 1990s, I accompanied my parents on week-long medical mission in Vigan. But am looking for something of a longer duration.

I was also wondering about permanent positions in the Philippines. I will graduate as an anesthesiologist and was wondering what the salaries are like in Manila? Would I even be allowed to take the tests for a Philippine medical license if I wasn't a Pilipino citizen? Am reallly curious about working for several months in the Philippines and doing locum tenens work in the states.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

i think that it is wonderful that you would like to do that. i am a Fil-am who went to medical school in the Philippines. And i can tell you that you will definitely learn alot if you can practice there as well. I did clinical rotations both in the US and in Manila, and i can tell you it is a big difference.

I think the best thing is to become affiliated with one of the medical schools in the Philippines. Since you went on a medical mission in the past, ask your parents if they have any connections, through their friends or classmates, at any of the med schools. I definitely would recommend that since they will be able to take care of things and the paperwork. All the medical schools require community medicine rotations and also have rotations to the government hospitals, and that is where you will see alot of different cases.

In order to have a permanent medical license in Manila, you would need to be a citizen. The Philippines now has dual citizenship status, so you might qualify, but honestly I am not sure what the requirements are nowadays. I would suggest looking to it.

I am not sure if there would some sort of Reciprocity since you have a license here in the US. But that's why i would suggest you get in contact with a medical school in the Philippines. I am sure they will know the answers, and would be helpful.

good luck!