Opinions Please. Did i Shoot Myself in the Foot With GPA Drop?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BoomerSooner-ang

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there

I'm a Texas resident who applied to the three Texas schools and interviewed in August.

At the time of applying and Interviewing my GPA was a 3.81 Overall, and a 3.76 BCPM, paired with a 21AA and a high PAT.

After slacking off a bit in my summer coursework, as well as this semester due to a little bit of depression, i am forecasting a drop in my BCPM, all the way to a 3.43.

My question is this, If a school already planned on Accepting me (which hopefully they did) will this drop in GPA be enough to sink me?

After i send in my Summer grades this week my BCPM gpa will be a 3.6, it's after this semester that the bigger drop occurs.

I am working very hard to try to correct this ship last minute, but only time will tell if that's possible.

Opinions? Should i start to panic, or will i be okay as long as i don't fail a class?

Members don't see this ad.

edited

IMO, I don't think your situation would cause a school to retake their admission offer. But who knows?

Last edited:
Errr... any sudden GPA drop won't look good no matter how you put it. Is there any particular reason why you did bad other than laziness?

IMO, I don't think your situation would cause a school to retake their admission offer. But who knows?

I mean it was due to mild depression, but that's not something i'm going to be toting to Dental Schools. And that's what i'm hoping XD.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I mean it was due to mild depression, but that's not something i'm going to be toting to Dental Schools. And that's what i'm hoping XD.
Ah, my bad. I was skimming through your post and missed the part about depression–definitely not something to belittle someone for. Is it clinical depression? If so, you most certainly can use it in defense of your grades.

Contact your health professions advisor ASAP. This is not going to look good. 3.7 to a 3.43 is a huge drop but given your stats are high I think you can convince them it was just a 1 semester problem. I would not necessarily tell them about depression because that unfortunately can be seen in negative light. I would also plan to ace all next semester.

Best wishes and hope you don't get down, we all have struggles and I know you will get out of this. I am rooting for you!

Ah, my bad. I was skimming through your post and missed the part about depression–definitely not something to belittle someone for. Is it clinical depression? If so, you most certainly can use it in defense of your grades.

It's fine!

And yeah it was(is?). I think bringing it up with schools would raise more red flags than the grades themselves actually.

Reactions: 1 users
Contact your health professions advisor ASAP. This is not going to look good. 3.7 to a 3.43 is a huge drop but given your stats are high I think you can convince them it was just a 1 semester problem.
I would also plan to ace all next semester. Best wishes and hope you don't get down, we all have struggles and I know you will get out of this. I am rooting for you!

Well this is my last semester, so I guess there isn't really much to ace! What help do you think contacting my health professions advisor would do? I don;t really trust in their abilities much thanks to prior interactions with them.

I feel like if they haven't made a decision on me, this drop would be likely to make them reject me, do you agree?

It's fine!

And yeah it was(is?). I think bringing it up with schools would raise more red flags than the grades themselves actually.
As @Michael_Scott mentioned, a GPA drop of that magnitude will be a major red flag in itself. You'll likely be asked about it so you'll need a good explanation ready. I think honesty is the best approach

As @Michael_Scott mentioned, a GPA drop of that magnitude will be a major red flag in itself. You'll likely be asked about it so you'll need a good explanation ready. I think honesty is the best approach

When you say i will be asked about it what exactly do you mean? You think the schools will email me about it?

Reactions: 1 user
I think it depends on the grades.

A B is a 3.0.

If you get Bs in all of your classes and maybe a B-, then that could drop your GPA that much, but it's really nothing to worry about as a B is an acceptable grade.

If you get Cs and Ds everywhere, then you should definitely have an explanation for it.

Reactions: 1 users