opinions on best route to medschool-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GIGATT

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all...just quick question. we are stuck in a bit of a dilema. hubby takes his mcat in april and we aren't sure if we should go ahead and apply to medschool (there is only one and our chances of getting in are a bit slim as out of staters) or go ahead and blitz a masters in public health and then apply to medschool when that is all said and done. PLUS, after his mph is completed we would have earned instate residency...

He's taken the practice mcats and scored 34 his gpa is low 3.5 because of his first round at college( 11 years ago)...he is currently a 4.0 student (past 3 years).

anyway, just curious as to what the better route might be

Members don't see this ad.

I would call the school in question and ask them what your chances are. If the response is warm and fuzzy then apply if not get the MPH. Although if he takes the McAT in april he will not apply this year...so technically he still has time for MPH regardless...

If you are taking the MCAT in April '05, that means entrance into med school in '06. This means that you could do the MPH before you enter medical school. I would be inclined to do an MPH as it would expand my knowledge base for my ultimate goal of becoming a physician. It will also keep your brain exercised and fresh for more knowledge to come. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
MPH would definately help your app, but that is only if you are DONE with the MPH before you apply. A lot of med schools don't consider graduate courses until you are done with that program. This is what I got after speaking with an adcom member at Case.