Opinions on Baylor Dallas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pillowpanther

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I rotated there in IM. Here are my impressions:

Residents are extremely happy there. The program is exceedingly cush. Call is q5 with a short call in between I believe. Open ICU. Every other call night the intern must run cross cover, and since it is an open icu, on-call team must run the codes too. Despite this call schedule, interns and residents love the program. They are simply treated very, very well, meaning the food is always good and usually catered by drug reps. The call rooms are nice as well. And the r2 or r3 actually can decline to admit certain patients if the service is too busy. The hospitalists will just take care of them.
Conferences were all very good, and Dr. Emmett is not only very nice, but a genius. Passing the boards is almost a given, I would think. I think they have a 100% pass rate for the past 3 years, or somewhere close to that.
Residents don't come from big-name schools except for a few Baylor college of Medicine and UTSW, but otherwise from average state schools. The quality of the residents is high, though, and the program as I understand it is quite competitive, esp for a community program. One interviewer at another med school told me that Baylor Dallas was the exception to the traditional community program in that it's well-known and respected, and you can get the fellowship you need out of it.
Hospital itself is quite rich, and it is a private hospital with the latest amenities and facilities-including computers, doctor's lounge is large, and nice patient rooms with hardwood floors. Ancillary staff is amazing there.
Autonomy is pretty good, and because you don't round with one attending everyday, you are free to get your work done. You have many attendings b/c alot are private patients, but most of the attendings don't care all that much what you do. Your calls, if you even call, consist of just checking in on the phone with the attending and telling him your patient's fine. The total time you spend rounding is less than at county hospitals. The pathology is excellent there.
Outside of medicine, residents seem to hang out. Some are married, but not too many. There are no foreign grads who match into this program to my knowledge. Socially, Dallas is a big city with all the standard things to do, but is nothing special and is a drawback, I think. It's scorching hot in the summer, and flat. Rent is pretty cheap. In all, Baylor Dallas is an excellent community program that I believe is the best in the state, as well as the most competitive, and for good reason.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree that Baylor Dallas is probably the second best IM program in the state. In fact it has pretty good residencies in most fields. I don't think it should be considered a typical community program since research is done and some attendings teach at UTSW and students can rotate there as well. Here you get the benefit of high caliber attendings who earn a good living. You will see the business side of how to run a successful practice. Fellowships are also decent, with GI among the top in the country. And there will be opportunity for you stay on as staff when you finish. As for IM Boards pass rate, the exam is not too difficult, most community programs have high pass rates also.

how about baylor-houston?