Opinion_To Continue or Not to Continue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HonestRealization

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN, Members and Readers,

As the title suggests, I am posting this to get some honest feedback regarding Canadian Medical Schools. I have crunched the numbers of courses with A+ required to get a competitive GPA (will elaborate soon), and they seem daunting.

Shall we start with the worst? O.K!

Current Program: B.Sc in Biology, Major in Microbiology, Minor in Chemistry
Current Year: 4
Overall GPA: 2.54
Year 1; 10 Courses, Term 1 GPA:3.06, Term 2: 3.22
Year 2; 10 Courses, Term 1: 2.40, Term 2: 1.93
Year 3; 7 Courses, Term 1: 2.22, Term 2 : 2.17

Obviously the academics above are far from achievement. What lead to such results? Procrastination, starting semesters strong, and then finishing in a "study-hard but there's more chances" attitude.

After shadowing physicians, and getting more exposure into the Medical Field; I realize how much I desire to be a Physician. In short, the ability to contribute to a dedicated professional field, make a comfortable living, be a resource needed globally, continue studying and understanding the deep details behind human sciences and be able to support a family and my past generations are only some of my reasons for wanting to pursue medicine. Honestly, I feel that it is the only career and role I'd enjoy.

Besides my academics, my EC are strong. After I decide on my final path, then will I schedule an MCAT sitting.

EC: - Toastmasters; 1 year
- Taekwondo; 4 years, Black belt in Spring 2015
- Rotary Member; 1 year
- St. John Ambulance Member; 2 years, 1 year as the Commanding Officer for a Youth Brigade
-Duke of Edinburgh Award: Gold Candidate (Completion expected July 2015)
- Various volunteering w/Community: Designated Driver, Paramedic Bike Squad, BC Summer Games Medical Volunteer, Racecar Speedway Medic
Hobbies:
- Piano; 8 years
- Laboratory Assistant (Making experiences for lower level classes); 1 year
- Ballroom/Latin American Dancing: 3 years
-Licenced Emergency Medical Responder (Obtained in Gr.11); 5 years.

Extra:
- Work as paramedic in Oil Field during Summer
- Genetics Professor, Animal Phys, and Biochem Professor all have mentioned that they know I've got what "it takes" (If that holds any value)
- Based in BC

The number crunching I did? 70 courses of A+ to obtain a GPA of 3.8 on the 4.33 scale.

Please members, let me know your opinion and perspective. This upcoming year, I realize there has to be change even If I want to remotely consider a MD program. Be honest and truthful please, where your recommendations all hold strong meaning and value to me.

Regards,

Members don't see this ad.

Umm I don't know the best way to put this, but you have essentially zero chance at any Canadian med school. As in they will screen out your application instantly. You would basically need to do another undergad first

Umm I don't know the best way to put this, but you have essentially zero chance at any Canadian med school. As in they will screen out your application instantly. You would basically need to do another undergad first

Thanks ConfusedChemist,

You recommend I pursue another degree instead then. Any recommendations on degrees which would be most beneficially to the study of medicine? (Kin., Pharm., ect).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks ConfusedChemist,

You recommend I pursue another degree instead then. Any recommendations on degrees which would be most beneficially to the study of medicine? (Kin., Pharm., ect).
there is no 'most beneficial', you just need to study something you do well in. What courses were you best in undergrad? Maybe look into something similar, ie I majored in chemistry (although I started out as health sci because I thought it was more 'medical') becuase I got A+'s in all my chem courses and I find it interesting so I tend to try harder!

there is no 'most beneficial', you just need to study something you do well in. What courses were you best in undergrad? Maybe look into something similar, ie I majored in chemistry (although I started out as health sci because I thought it was more 'medical') becuase I got A+'s in all my chem courses and I find it interesting so I tend to try harder!

Honestly, its a spread plate. Got A+ in Physics (both), A in 1st Sem Organic, A in Genetics. Seems quite split. I do love the Chemistry discipline, but want more of the Biology. Have considered Biochem, but also would want a career more hands on.

I feel that asking the above question here is somewhat futile. When I step back and ask myself, "Do you want to continue pursing Medicine even if the reward will require immense work?", I always think "yes". Perhaps I need to get a reality check on my situation! O.O

Honestly, its a spread plate. Got A+ in Physics (both), A in 1st Sem Organic, A in Genetics. Seems quite split. I do love the Chemistry discipline, but want more of the Biology. Have considered Biochem, but also would want a career more hands on.

I feel that asking the above question here is somewhat futile. When I step back and ask myself, "Do you want to continue pursing Medicine even if the reward will require immense work?", I always think "yes". Perhaps I need to get a reality check on my situation! O.O

You definitely need to do another B.Sc. If you want to do medicine you just have to accept that unfortunately.

It depends on your goals in life, how your finances are and where you are in life. If you decide to pursue medicine, you likely won't graduate until 30. That basically means you will need to support yourself until 30 through some means. You will also be sacrificing your 20s and your early 30s.

You will then need to do residency, which if you want out fast would be family medicine. You can do that in 2 years. The other residencies are longer, and the hours are 90 a week usually (depending on the residency).

If your goal in life is to enjoy it, don't choose medicine. If your goal in life is to sacrifice your own time to help others with a stable lifestyle and a high income when you get older then medicine may be for you.

Even if you do a 2nd undergrad you need to get a very high GPA. Medical school is getting harder and harder and the younger kids are more and more competitive. Every year is more competitive than the previous, 4 years from now who knows where it will be.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're willing to look outside of Canada, you may be able to find your way into an international medical school or US DO school

Zero chance in the US. A 2.5 GPA will not get you into a DO school. Get that up to a 3.5 and you have a fair chance with a decent mcat and good ECsECs
If you're willing to look outside of Canada, you may be able to find your way into an international medical school or US DO school

I definitely don't recommend looking abroad with those scores. The only schools that would take you are really piss poor Caribbean schools. You may not even graduate with a residency position.

What about Ontario Schools such as Western or Queens? They look at your best two Undergraduate years. Minimum is 3.5, and a 32 MCAT. Gives me an opportunity for my 4th and 5th year.

minimum for western is 3.7 and queens at least a 3.85. You also need a 32+ MCAT to be considered competitive for those schools. Note meeting the minimum requirements for western guarantees you an interview, but nothing more. Queens on the other hand is black box, and no one really knows the specific numbers they look for.

Look, considering you don't have any usable terms, let alone years so far it's a bit niave to say you'll pull a 3.7+out of the air next year. Was there any extenuating cirumstances as to why your grades have been low until then? If not, I strongly recommend you look at other career paths. People here can get so wrapped up in being doctors we forget how many other (happy, financial stable) people are out there. If it takes you another undergrad plus med school, is it really going to make you happy? There's no shame in picking a different path.

Reactions: 1 user
Look, considering you don't have any usable terms, let alone years so far it's a bit niave to say you'll pull a 3.7+out of the air next year. Was there any extenuating cirumstances as to why your grades have been low until then? If not, I strongly recommend you look at other career paths. People here can get so wrapped up in being doctors we forget how many other (happy, financial stable) people are out there. If it takes you another undergrad plus med school, is it really going to make you happy? There's no shame in picking a different path.

Initially I always do great the first half of each course but as the semester goes by, I seem to procrastinate more. This ends up with me saying "Oh just get x% on your final and you'll be fine". It was laziness, procrastination and ignorance.

It's obvious I wasted this time. Do I honestly want to pursue medicine and dedicate my life to science? Yes, I love the study, each semester picking micro/bio/Chem courses gets me excited.

In this upcoming year, I'll be implementing some changes. Took my video games/procrastination courses and boxed them all up, replacing them with EC's I really enjoy.

If the hard reality is I will never be accepted, even if I attempt the Ontario system, then I'll have to reconsider.

Do a year of full course load and get above 3.8. If you can do that, then continue on the path of getting more succesful years and pursue medicine.

If you can't do at least 1 test year, then its time to move on.

Reactions: 1 users
Do a year of full course load and get above 3.8. If you can do that, then continue on the path of getting more succesful years and pursue medicine.

If you can't do at least 1 test year, then its time to move on.
I agree. Finish your degree, and by all means do your absolute best. But while applying to med, why not apply to other related feilds? Or try shadowing. I want to be a doctor for sure, but I know there's no garuntee of acceptance because the Candaian system is a little f'ed. I actually job shadowed a pharmacist yesterday and it was an awesome experience, I had no idea that within a few years they'll be giving medical consults, writing presciptions, and giving shots. I just cold-called a bunch of offices and exploring other professions has been great! I still want to be a doctor, but it's always good to know if there's other medically related jobs I'd like as a back-up

OP, you have potential chances at Western and Queens. Do a 5th year. Start with a clean slate, but before you start this year, you need to figure out what it was that you were doing wrong, and how you will manage to meet a minimum of a 3.7 this year and the year after for Western (I believe that is your best shot). If you need to game the system, do that too. If your degree requirements allow for it, take 2 of the 5 courses required for a full course load in subjects you find easy-perhaps a bird course or two. Your ECs are fantastic. You can do it, it just will not be easy.

OP, you have potential chances at Western and Queens. Do a 5th year. Start with a clean slate, but before you start this year, you need to figure out what it was that you were doing wrong, and how you will manage to meet a minimum of a 3.7 this year and the year after for Western (I believe that is your best shot). If you need to game the system, do that too. If your degree requirements allow for it, take 2 of the 5 courses required for a full course load in subjects you find easy-perhaps a bird course or two. Your ECs are fantastic. You can do it, it just will not be easy.

I wouldn't be so optimistic. Queens is notoriously difficult to get in, it only has 96 spots each year and basically wants everything to be good. Western wants an amazing MCAT. Getting a 9/11/12 is not going to be easy at all.

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't be so optimistic. Queens is notoriously difficult to get in, it only has 96 spots each year and basically wants everything to be good. Western wants an amazing MCAT. Getting a 9/11/12 is not going to be easy at all.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said he has chances. It's not even easy for those with the marks. But what does OP have to lose? 1 year which OP needs to finish anyways for a degree. If OP cannot make the 3.7 this upcoming year, there is his answer.