[Opinion] What are your thoughts on these study materials?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FauxBlue

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got a hold of 2009 TBR material and TPR Hyperlearning Verbal 2011 edition for CARS practice.

Are these still good to use or are they outdated for the new 2015 exam????

I am currently using Kaplan and EK as my mains for content review, but was hoping maybe TBR and TPR hyperlearning will help supplement for practice!

What are your thoughts? Thanks!!!

PS Should I be doing the passages in 6-7 minutes since they were designed to be done at a shorter time? Or go with the new 10 minutes per passage for the 2015 MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

I think TPRH is good for CARS. From what I've heard the CARS section is not much different from the old verbal section, aside from the exclusion of science related passages. Not sure about TBR...I'm using a 2012 version of it at the moment and it's a bit dense. I personally would practice them at 6-7 min. If you practice at a quicker pace then the real deal won't seem as bad.

It's highly unlikely that the information is "outdated", especially for CARS. That hasn't changed very much at all. I, personally, would use TBR in case there's something unclear from Kaplan and EK since I know there are some people out there that can't take information at face value and may need extra details to let the information sink in. I used EK and felt as if they gave the information in just enough detail that I wasn't getting boggled down by details and kept my eye on the big picture like why this body function is important and how it connects with other body processes. You should also try to get EK 101 Passages to go along with the Hyperlearning book!

As for the timing, don't be so quick to jump onto the "it needs to be done in X minutes" train. Try out several methods for CARS and find the one you were most comfortable with. I spent 10 minutes on each passage regardless of how many questions it had because it helped me keep a stable pace. Of those 10 minutes I spent about 4-4.5 minutes reading the passage because I stopped after every paragraph to jot down the main idea and how each paragraph relates to it (never actually looked at what I wrote because most of it was completely illegible, it just forced me to analyze the papers paragraph by paragraph). Try out various techniques and if it works, it works. There is no "right way".

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently got a hold of 2009 TBR material and TPR Hyperlearning Verbal 2011 edition for CARS practice.

I am currently using Kaplan and EK as my mains for content review, but was hoping maybe TBR and TPR hyperlearning will help supplement for practice!

PS Should I be doing the passages in 6-7 minutes since they were designed to be done at a shorter time? Or go with the new 10 minutes per passage for the 2015 MCAT?
I also used EK + berkeley. Worked really well. The extra verbal should be good practice. Idk why you need kaplan and EK and tbr..overkill on the content, unless you are getting 3 sets for the practice passages. Anyways, good plan.

do them in 7 min

I actually used 2011 TBR books for Chem/Bio/Physics and I found them pretty helpful. IIRC the TBR books covered most of the biochem I saw on the new MCAT.