Opinion about New York Ear and Ear ..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vanelo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I'm kind of new to this forum but it's been of great help so far.

I've reviewed many ophth residency programs and have been particularly attracted to NYEEI. I've spoken with a PGY-2 from that program and he tells me it's a great, solid residency with a large volume of patients.

Any additional comments or info about this program?

Members don't see this ad.

One negative aspect of the program is the coordinator. When I was scheduling my interview there she was just HORRIBLE! She'd place me on hold and never pick up the phone again; she'd not call me back for days; when I flew in to NY and was on my way to the hotel I did not even know what time the interviews start next day!!! I called her that day and she responded: "I've already given you all this information, I am not giving it to you again" and hung up! Thankfully, a friend of mine was interviewing the same day, so he gave me the info. I was so pissed at her I wrote a letter to program director (after the match, of course). Other than that, the program is in a good location, in the middle of Manhattan. There is a building which is owned by the program and each resident gets an apt. there (like $750 for 2 bdrm). There is a tunnel that connects this bldg to the institute, so you can technically take call from home! Residents seemed happy. There were 3 3-4 member interviews, these were kind of on the stressful side (expected for east cost :laugh: ). These are my 2 cents.

Members don't see this ad :)
Very nice. $750 for a 2-bedroom apartment in the middle of Manhattan??? WOW!!

:eek:

Thanks

I also interviewd at nyeei a few months back, & here's my opinion: The residency director is a really weird guy. Many faculty had huge egos (as they demonstrated during the interviews). The worst in my book was that the residents were for the most part lacking in social skills, & also weird. Granted they have cheap housing connected to the hosp, but I thought it was a bit strange that ALL the residents lived there, even older & married residents w/ kids. Other negs include: sat clinic which all the residents despised. Poisitives r the rep, location, cheap housing, & clinical volume. In summary :The place seemed like an eye factory to me, w/ the residents not being as happy as other places which is a shame since it is known as the ny powerhouse. I ended up ranking it 4th, behind cornell, nyu, & umdnj.

Hey there,
Just curious to know - what NYEE faculty members had the huge egos?
Thanks

i do not recall their names, the interview was a while back...

Do you know whether fellows can also stay in the hospital accommodation?

I'd really like to do a fellowship in NY, but the thought of paying market rates for accommodation is really scary.

nyeyes said:
but I thought it was a bit strange that ALL the residents lived there, even older & married residents w/ kids.

I wouldn't hold that against them, $750 for a 2 bedroom in the middle of manhattan is like a dream come true! I don't even want to think about what someone with kids would have to pay for a place if they were living off campus.