Ophthoquestions Not Able to Use Today

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foureyes

Attending iDoc
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else having issues? I think the servers must be overloaded. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Yup, we were having issues with memory allocation. It has been resolved. And yes, Sunday's are the heaviest days by far. We have approximately 2000 users using the website on that day, creating lots and lots of tests.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. We have a completely-new software platform that we will be rolling out some time in April. Expect some bumps in the road with the new version, but I think you guys will like it since it will: (a) consume less server resources and (b) be fully-mobile compatible. Plus, we have a lot more features we want to incorporate.

Best of luck with your exams!

-OQ

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems to be down again.

Yeah, it has something to do with our SQL server. We are replacing this old software after this year's testing cycle to something more efficient and stable.

Expect slowdowns since there are >3000 people accessing the site these days and creating huge tests.

and why did I pay money for something that doesn't work at the most critical period? This should have been taken care of beforehand.

and why did I pay money for something that doesn't work at the most critical period? This should have been taken care of beforehand.

Trying our best. Unfortunately, we don't have the resources of Google at our disposal.

Trying our best. Unfortunately, we don't have the resources of Google at our disposal.

Unfortunately "trying our best" doesn't cut it in any business. This isn't kindergarten.

You charge a bundle for a service people expect results. If you can't deliver cut your prices or let someone better do the job for you.

This is ridiculous. Switching over to Chern book questions but it's absurd that we all paid so much for a service that stops working 2 weeks before boards.

I'd like to be able to do the questions right now too but people need to relax. My overly anxious dry eye patients are probably more pleasant to deal with. At least someone has created a large, and relatively inexpensive, bank of questions to study from, finally. (and no, I don't work for ophthoquestions.com)

Hi guys:
Can anyone tell me how long will the server be down?
I am struggling as I just signed up for this and I need to do questions so badly last minute studying with everything thats going on.
Please let us know in advance how long and when the server will be down so I can do some other type of studying in the mean time
I am losing hope on this website

I'm not overly stressed but the comment "oh well, we are trying our best" is annoying. That doesn't fly in real life when you run a business and have customers. If I had told my investing clients (back when I was in the real world) that I couldn't try execute their trades because "my computer is broken but I'm trying my best" I would have been guillotined.

They should at least offer a sincere apology, if not a refund.

I'm not overly stressed but the comment "oh well, we are trying our best" is annoying. That doesn't fly in real life when you run a business and have customers. If I had told my investing clients (back when I was in the real world) that I couldn't try execute their trades because "my computer is broken but I'm trying my best" I would have been guillotined.

They should at least offer a sincere apology, if not a refund.

We do offer our sincerest apologies for the disruption today. Obviously, these glitches are stressing the heck out of us too. If I could fix it directly myself, I would.

This is a niche website that we are trying very hard to maintain. Today was a glitch that was totally out of our control. We have been performing upgrades after upgrades to the server, etc, but still you guys are overloading it. We will be making a significant overhaul to the software during the "off-season" to avoid/minimize these resource issues.

And yes, we work in the real world as well, running a very busy Ophthalmology practice. Unfortunately, OQ is just a hobby for now, but we may need some extra space in the office for full-time OQ employees. Alternatively, we could just shut the website down and avoid all of this unnecessary stress altogether. But personally, I think this website is a valuable and sorely-needed resource.

We do offer our sincerest apologies for the disruption today. Obviously, these glitches are stressing the heck out of us too. If I could fix it directly myself, I would.

This is a niche website that we are trying very hard to maintain. Today was a glitch that was totally out of our control. We have been performing upgrades after upgrades to the server, etc, but still you guys are overloading it. We will be making a significant overhaul to the software during the "off-season" to avoid/minimize these resource issues.

And yes, we work in the real world as well, running a very busy Ophthalmology practice. Unfortunately, OQ is just a hobby for now, but we may need some extra space in the office for full-time OQ employees. Alternatively, we could just shut the website down and avoid all of this unnecessary stress altogether. But personally, I think this website is a valuable and sorely-needed resource.

Last thing I'll say is that when "just a hobby" becomes a profit-seeking endeavor expectations are usually higher, with reason. People are paying $130 a pop. Otherwise I'll just bite my tongue for now.

We do offer our sincerest apologies for the disruption today...And yes, we work in the real world as well, running a very busy Ophthalmology practice. Unfortunately, OQ is just a hobby for now, but we may need some extra space in the office for full-time OQ employees. Alternatively, we could just shut the website down and avoid all of this unnecessary stress altogether. But personally, I think this website is a valuable and sorely-needed resource.

This might be the lamest apology I have ever read. You won't shut the website down because you are profiting from it. You can't offer a paid service then blame the failure to provide that service on it being a hobby or your volume being too high or because you have some other full time job. Residents have every right to demand a refund if you fail to live up to your end of the agreement. :thumbdown: