ophtho research or international volunteer project this summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sameer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently I'm an MS-1 and am trying to figure out whether to do ophtho research this summer, possibly at the National Eye Institute of NIH or take part in an international volunteer project such as those organized by the Unite for Sight organization. I spent a year at NIH before starting medical school and conducted neuro related research and published once as a fourth author but I've heard that research in ophtho would be more helpful for my application. I spent a year working as an ophthalmic technician and developed interest in ophthalmology based on this experience. I'd really like to do both ophtho research and the volunteer project before graduating from med school but I really would like to know which one is more important for obtaining an ophtho residency and what I should do this summer. My options are doing the research project and taking part in a one week international project, just doing research this summer, or dedicating this summer to the international project and doing research at school during my MS-2 year. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.