ophtho publication recommended for residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eggsettera

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wondering if any residents or faculty out there have any suggestions on publications/periodicals for residents and future residents (interns) to read in down time when you want to read a scientific publication.

During one of my fourth year rotations i remember a couple of isolated instances where different faculty recommend that their residents subscribe to 'review of ophthalmology'.

Does anyone out there agree with this sentiment or have a different suggestion?

Members don't see this ad.

To piggy back, are there any services that provide summaries of the major ophtho research publications, ie weekly/monthly basis?

I use MD Consult's In This Week's Journals to review the general medical literature, would love to know how attendings choose which ophtho journals they read, how they are efficient in their readings, etc.
http://www.mdconsult.com/das/stat/body/319795027-91/itwj#nengljmed

just wondering if any residents or faculty out there have any suggestions on publications/periodicals for residents and future residents (interns) to read in down time when you want to read a scientific publication.

During one of my fourth year rotations i remember a couple of isolated instances where different faculty recommend that their residents subscribe to 'review of ophthalmology'.

Does anyone out there agree with this sentiment or have a different suggestion?

Review of Ophthalmology is probably a good one. It has reviews of recent journal publications that you can then investigate, if desired. There are other "throw away" pubs like it (EyeNet, OSN, etc.).

To piggy back, are there any services that provide summaries of the major ophtho research publications, ie weekly/monthly basis?

I use MD Consult's In This Week's Journals to review the general medical literature, would love to know how attendings choose which ophtho journals they read, how they are efficient in their readings, etc.
http://www.mdconsult.com/das/stat/body/319795027-91/itwj#nengljmed

There are some services, but they all cost $$$. I've never used any. I'd stick to the throw aways, as described above, if you just want to get an idea of what's going on in the field.

Members don't see this ad :)
throw aways are pretty useful, they are somewhat diluted but are useful for summaries. Major journals like Opthalmology, AJO, Archives and the like can usually be accessed through your medical school library. If you are a medical student, resident or fellow you will have access to them. Don't forget websites like EyeTube for interesting surgical videos as well.

throw aways are pretty useful, they are somewhat diluted but are useful for summaries. Major journals like Opthalmology, AJO, Archives and the like can usually be accessed through your medical school library. If you are a medical student, resident or fellow you will have access to them. Don't forget websites like EyeTube for interesting surgical videos as well.

what exactly is a throw away publication? is review of ophthalmology considered a throw away publication.

I know videos can be great but i made the original post hoping to get suggestions for reading material.

thanks all

what exactly is a throw away publication? is review of ophthalmology considered a throw away publication.

I know videos can be great but i made the original post hoping to get suggestions for reading material.

thanks all

Throw aways are non peer reviewed journals with summary journal articles, grand rounds cases, topics covering other aspects of ophthalmology such as coding or practice management and the like. They include EyeNet, OSN News, Review of Ophthalmology, Ophthalmology Times and others.