Ophtho book for Medical Student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perzian

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What ophthalmology book would you recommend for a medical student starting an ophthalmology elective in his 3rd or 4th year?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

In my humble opinion, this book is as good as any for a beginner.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...104-4724108-1488734?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

If you end up getting through this book and want something more detailed, it depends how much money you want to spend and what kind of book you want. The Wills Eye Manual is good, but has very few pictures. "Clinical Ophthalmology" by Kanski is an actual textbook and has many great pictures, but is too detailed (I think) for a beginner.

Kanski is pretty decent, but like redhawk said, it's not a book you can get through during a month rotation. I would use it as a reference and then use the "big books" to read about important stuff. I read the sections on retinal detachment, diabetic retionpathy, and macular degeneration in the 3 volume set entitled "Retina". These were really great and informative readings.

I don't think there is any 1 book, but I would completely read the book Redhawk suggested, and use the bigger reference books to reinforce the big stuff. You want to be sharp as possible to get your killer letters of recommendation.

Members don't see this ad :)
A second props for the yellow Vaughan & Asbury (sp?) text. The AAO book for students was good, too. :spam: