ophthalmoscope opinions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

r_salis

SDN Supa-Mod Emmetrope
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to buy an ophthalmoscope in a couple weeks -- any opinions about these brands? -- Heine, Welch-Allyn, Keeler?

Members don't see this ad.

If you're not going with the Welch-Allyn panotic and you just want a really good direct. I'm a Heine girl myself. I have Heine everything and love it.

:love:

Originally posted by cpw
If you're not going with the Welch-Allyn panotic and you just want a really good direct. I'm a Heine girl myself. I have Heine everything and love it.

:love:
I borrowed a Heine from school over the weekend, and I like it the best of the 3 so far. I'm just having a little sophomoric trouble getting over the name, even if it is *supposed* to be pronounced "Hi-neh". :laugh:

At my school we can buy a panoptic, but we have to buy and learn the o-scope first.

Granted, I haven't practiced much with it yet, but I'm finding it really tough to get a good view of the retina. I o-scoped my cat last night, and *wow* does she have a killer red-eye reflex (thanks to that tapetum lucidum thing she's got going). I could also see all over her retina because of her gigantic pupils.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, my dog won't hold still long enough for me to look at him. I've heard cats are generally more compliant for that.

And yes, it's Hi-nah. I try not to wear my Heine.com t-shirt any place where there's not OD students. I don't want people to think I work at hooters or something wearing a shirt that says Heiny on it. ;)

I have the Heine with the small lithium handles for my small girl hands. Works better for me.

Direct takes a LONG time to get good at undilated. But, they sent us out on school vision screenings where we'd screen over 100 kids in a few hours. It made me get better faster REAL quick. Also got faster at loose lens ret. (ick)

Good luck with your choices!

Dr. r_salis,

My comments may not enlighten you on this subject but may only supplement it.

I would try to get a direct ophthalmoscope that would let me interchange battery handles where ever I might work. I chose WA because of its use amongst many hospitals. If my own battery handle runs out, I can grab another handle from the nurses or other providers in an emergency.

In other words, think about the possible prevalence of an ophthalmoscope. If you do get an ophthalmoscope that is'nt used by a lot of people, you may therefore need more than one handle if you like the choice you made in undergraduate optometry school but find that the battery handle doesn't last as long as you need to b/c of the pace of your work.

Regards,
Richard
Originally posted by r_salis
I have to buy an ophthalmoscope in a couple weeks -- any opinions about these brands? -- Heine, Welch-Allyn, Keeler?

I have the Keeler, I have been told it has some of the best optics of all the brands. I have not used it in clinic or anything (because I'm only a first year), but from my limited knowledge, I think it is great. Almost everyone here at ICO has the WA and the panoptic. I don't like the panoptic, but again, I have not used this stuff a lot.

ICO requires that we purchase at least 2 handles so we don't run out of juice, I think it is a good idea.

My advice would be to ask some of the ODs at the school, they know more about the equipment then the students. It seems like students just get what the class before them got because they don't know any better. Ask a prof or 3 what to buy.

Keeler is the way to go - it has the best optics by far. Stay away from the Pan optic as it lacks certain features that will come in handy as you progress along your training. True, WA is universal and the convenience factor is a plus, but the optics are not as true as keeler's. You will especially notice this when you go on vision screening and are asked to do o-scope in bright conditions. Having said this though, you may find yourself abandoning your ophthalmoscope later down the road as I have (Im a fourth year right now) for your 90D/&8D. It does the same thing and allows you a better view of the macula, optic nerve, etc. I really wouldn't worry too much about the oscope because I don't believe you'll be using all that often down the road, however, you're 90D is going to be invaluable. I'd worry alot more about that purchase

Yes, but when working with kids I get a much better view of the "flying disc" with a direct than I do trying to get a wiggly 6 year old behind a slit lamp for undilated 90. [this of course being only if the parents don't consent for dilation and cycloplegic refraction]