Ophthalmology residency in a scandinavian country as a German

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

All_in_and_out

Reaction score
Hello, everyone!

I am a resident ophthalmologist in my third year in Germany. The working and living conditions in Germany (in medicine) are not the best. Because of the very good living conditions (work, leisure, nature, social-security and education) my wife and I to move to a Scandinavian country (Sweden, Norway or Denmark). We would like to do that in about 12 months, which is why I want to apply for a new job soon. So far, we "only" speak German, English and Spanish. As soon as I have a reliable job offer, I will intensively begin learning the language of the country.
Professionally, my next goal is to become intraocular surgically trained. Prior to this, at my own expense (for example, in India), I would require a private surgical training.
In planning my next steps, some questions have arisen, and I hope to find someone here who can help me.

1. Is it possible/usual to work intraocular surgical during residency?
  2. What are thr eye clinics with surgical expertise?
I am happy for every statement from someone who has personal experiences or professional knowledge. I have found many assumptions, wage statements and personal opinion on the internet, so there is no need for more of that

Happy holidays to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

While not exclusively so, this is a US-oriented site so I don't know how much help you'll actually get here. I can say, though, as someone learning Swedish for the past year, it's a very easy language to learn (at least the basics, maybe some more of the complexities and nuances will be hard to get).

I was surprised to learn that the Dutch pay the best.

Hello, everyone!

I am a resident ophthalmologist in my third year in Germany. The working and living conditions in Germany (in medicine) are not the best. Because of the very good living conditions (work, leisure, nature, social-security and education) my wife and I to move to a Scandinavian country (Sweden, Norway or Denmark). We would like to do that in about 12 months, which is why I want to apply for a new job soon. So far, we "only" speak German, English and Spanish. As soon as I have a reliable job offer, I will intensively begin learning the language of the country.
Professionally, my next goal is to become intraocular surgically trained. Prior to this, at my own expense (for example, in India), I would require a private surgical training.
In planning my next steps, some questions have arisen, and I hope to find someone here who can help me.

1. Is it possible/usual to work intraocular surgical during residency?
  2. What are thr eye clinics with surgical expertise?
I am happy for every statement from someone who has personal experiences or professional knowledge. I have found many assumptions, wage statements and personal opinion on the internet, so there is no need for more of that

Happy holidays to everyone!
Why not finish residency in Germany and move to one of these countries as an attending?

You should stick to your own country and learn surgery rather than practicing on hapless Indians and Nepalese. There are more than enough fabulous cataract surgeons in India, they don't need your "help".

Reactions: 1 user