Ophthalmology Mentoring and Residency Pipeline for URiM Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Minority Ophthalmology

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Facebook_Twitter_(2).jpg

Are you an aspiring eye surgeon — or do you simply want to learn more about ophthalmology? The Minority Ophthalmology Mentoring program is accepting early decision applications through April 12! Apply online: bit.ly/2021-minority-mentoring

The purpose of the program is to help students who are underrepresented in medicine become competitive ophthalmology residency applicants. Selected students are provided with one-on-one mentoring, networking opportunities, a curated research listing and access to a variety of educational resources.

Visit aao.org/minority-mentoring or email [email protected] for more information. We hope to see you in the Class of 2021!

Members don't see this ad.

Interested in medical and surgical eye care? Join us for a virtual student engagement session on Thursday, March 18, 2021 at 4 p.m. PT / 6 p.m. CT / 7 p.m. ET. A panel of ophthalmologists will answer your questions about the Minority Ophthalmology Mentoring program and the field of opthhalmology.

Register here: bit.ly/mom-mar18

The first 20 students to register and attend will receive a $20 Grubhub gift card! Email [email protected] with any questions, and apply for the Class of 2021 by April 12.

Facebook_Twitter_(1).jpg

Last edited:
It's not too late! Apply for the Minority Ophthalmology Mentoring program by June 15: bit.ly/2021-minority-mentoring

The program aims to increase diversity in the field of medical and surgical eye care by helping URiM students become competitive ophthalmology residency applicants. In addition to dedicated mentorship, students also receive a wealth of educational resources, a nation-wide professional network and guidance in medical career planning. There is no cost to participate.

An alumna of the program recently shared with us:

"I am certain I would not have matched at my first choice for residency without my mentor and the Minority Ophthalmology Mentoring program. The program gave me, a first-generation physician with no connections to a small surgical specialty, invaluable guidance and encouragement. The one-on-one mentorship this program offers is unparalleled and deeply needed for students such as myself who are the first in their families to pursue medical careers." – Dr. Alejandra Maiz, PGY-1 in Ophthalmology, University of Michigan

Learn more at aao.org/minority-mentoring and apply for the Class of 2021 by June 15!

Facebook_Twitter_(3).jpg