Operative Experience vs Didatics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slowthai

holding a barbell.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I believe one of the ortho attendings on here said that education (didactics) is just as important as operative experience. Why is that the case? I remember someone on the interview trail (either on here or on orthogate) talking about a program where they operate so much that they don't even have time to read, and that's why they would not be ranking them as highly as other programs with a more balanced approach. What do you guys think?

Also, if your only goal is to become the best surgeon you can be, is conducting a research project and publishing as valuable as more operative volume or case diversity/complexity?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe one of the ortho attendings on here said that education (didactics) is just as important as operative experience. Why is that the case? I remember someone on the interview trail (either on here or on orthogate) talking about a program where they operate so much that they don't even have time to read, and that's why they would not be ranking them as highly as other programs with a more balanced approach. What do you guys think?

Also, if your only goal is to become the best surgeon you can be, is conducting a research project and publishing as valuable as more operative volume or case diversity/complexity?

I attend the ortho conferences at my school and a lot of their discussion is around cases they see, cases that have sub-optimal outcomes, and new literature/journal articles that improve on standard of care. If you were to just to the same procedures over and over again, but were not aware of new techniques or approaches to a problem, then you would not be doing best for your patient by not offering the best treatment available.

Reactions: 2 users
I mean technically knowing how do an operation is important but knowing indications, contraindications, other operative/nonoperative solutons , complications and management of said complications is also pretty important.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What the above people said. Additionally, didactics are important because most medical schools do not teach Ortho in depth. The amount of material we have to learn in order to be able to do our jobs is a mini med school in itself. If you don't understand biomechanics, for example, you won't be a good surgeon.

Reactions: 1 users
What the above people said. Additionally, didactics are important because most medical schools do not teach Ortho in depth. The amount of material we have to learn in order to be able to do our jobs is a mini med school in itself. If you don't understand biomechanics, for example, you won't be a good surgeon.

That too. It's amazing how after four years of medical school you're basically starting over on day one of intern year.

Thank you for your responses, everyone. Does anyone have any suggestions on books about orthopedics I could read as a premed?

Thank you for your responses, everyone. Does anyone have any suggestions on books about orthopedics I could read as a premed?

I have a post on this in my AMA thread (for med students however). But if you haven't even gone to Med school yet, you shouldn't be reading subspecialty related books.

I have a post on this in my AMA thread (for med students however). But if you haven't even gone to Med school yet, you shouldn't be reading subspecialty related books.
Aha, I figured. I'm just so excited to learn. I'll just have to wait a few more years.