Open Anesthesia positions at Cornell, one PGY2 and one PGY3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dgs1000

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We currently have two openings available at the New York Presbyterian Hospital Dept of Anesthesiology. These openings will require a start date of January 2, 2008. Applicants must have completed ACGME approved internship. Please email resume to [email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

this may be late, but is this spot still open for me to send my resume

Members don't see this ad :)
Applicants must have completed ACGME approved internship.

Just out of curiosity, for such PGY-2 openings in fields that require internship like Gas and Rads, could a PGY-1 IM resident apply? I mean would the PGY-1 in IM account for internship in those fileds? Similarly, from PGY-1 CGS into PGY-2 orthopedics?

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, for such PGY-2 openings in fields that require internship like Gas and Rads, could a PGY-1 IM resident apply? I mean would the PGY-1 in IM account for internship in those fileds?

Yes, those programs require only a Prelim year in either Medicine or Surgery, or a Transitional Year, so a year as an IM resident would comply.

Similarly, from PGY-1 CGS into PGY-2 orthopedics?

CGS = categorical general surgery? You could probably make it work but if you didn't have any Ortho electives or other required electives (ie, Rheum...can't remember what else our guys take), you would have to make them up at some point in time, possibly extending your residency. A true designated gen surg year for Ortho would have electives designed to help you do the necessary rotations to be BE/BC.

So case by case basis on that front.

It is probably uncommon to see someone changing from categorical GS into another surgical subspeciality, but I though of it as being similar to entering Gas or Rads PGY-2 after doing IM PGY-1 rather than Prelim in medicine.

Regarding designated surgical Prelim's, do they differ according to the PGY-2 you're applying for? Or it's that they are all the same but you choose the electives according to your PGY-2(ENT, Orthopedics..etc)?

Last edited:
So designated surgical Prelim's differ according to the PGY-2 you're applying for? Or it's that they are all the same but you choose the electives according to your PGY-2(ENT, Orthopedics..etc)?

The PGY-1 designated prelim schedule will vary according to whatever program you have advanced matched into.

A designated ENT Prelim would have electives in ENT and whatever else their department decides they need.

A designated Ortho Prelim would have electives in Ortho, maybe Rheum, etc.

Neurosurg designated Prelims do Neurosurg, Neurology, etc.

These are not generally chosen by the Prelim but rather there is a schedule for the year which would include standard gen surg rotations, rotation in the "home department" and assorted electives.

So my understanding now is that one usually applies for a surgical Prelim, and the program then fixes the schedule of rotations according to the PGY-2. Mind my ignorance :)

So my understanding now is that one usually applies for a surgical Prelim, and the program then fixes the schedule of rotations according to the PGY-2. Mind my ignorance :)

When you apply for a program which requires a Prelim year (whether or not that year is done at the same program as the more advanced years), the general surgery department works with the specialty department to make sure that the resident gets all the required rotations. So yes, the PGY-1 rotations will vary somewhat as a function of whatever advanced specialty the resident is going into.

Does your program consider FMGs (i.e. carribean grads)??

They have a carib grad from st george's for class of 2011.