only have 2 letters of rec, 3rd writter punk'd me...what to do? in trouble?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

p54

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ON ERAS, I only had 3 letters of rec. specified to go to the programs. Yes i know I should have had more, but 2 other letter writters never got back to me. The 3rd one agreed to write it but still hasn't sent it in after numerous calls and only being able to talk to him through his secretary.

the programs haven't brought up that I only have 2 letters of rec in the file currently. When they know they are missing the 3rd one. It hasn't been a problem to secure the interviews or even an issue on the interviews. But it makes me sweat a little bit when I see that all the programs require atleast 3 letters of rec.

What happens when match day rolls around, or for that matter, the ranking deadline day and I don't have the 3rd letter? Are the programs not going to rank me b/c of it? Is this a really strict NRMP guidline that the programs must adhere to? Or can the programs let it slide and "pretend" my have all the requirements and rank me? And if they do rank me, will they be able to accept me when July 1st comes around.

Members don't see this ad.

I would approach a physician you have gotten to know well who you think has a generous heart and tell him/her of your predicament. The faculty are usually obliged to write a letter for a student so consider that resource. But yes, I would cover my bases and have a third letter.

Maybe you could speak with the Chairman of the department in which you are applying and get a Chairman's letter. Those tend to be pretty easy and quick because the secretary writes it and the Chairman just has to sign it. I had to get a Chairman's letter at the last minute and it was no problem.

I would also try to get that 3rd letter ASAP, because you don't want it jeopardizing your chances of being ranked/how you're ranked. I think the ideas above are good. Also, have you done an AI/sub-I yet? Maybe you can get a letter quickly from the attending you worked with most closely, and then again, tell them about your situation. You should also emphasize that you need it by the end of January, before committees sit to discuss ranking...

I too was having trouble getting one of my letter writers to write me back via e-mail, so I had to talk to his secretary specifically and physically went to his office to pick up the letter myself. Yeesh!!

This happened to a good friend of mine. She matched in her #1 choice (though it was a noncompetitive program in a noncompetitive specialty) but had to have a third letter in her file in order to begin orientation. But if you don't get your first choice in the match, will you want to always wonder what if? I'd give up on the person you asked and ask someone else in a hurry. Good luck.

I agree with robotsonic...approach your dept chair and explain the situation. He/she is supposed to be looking after your best interests in the Match and will probably be more than happy to help you out. (If you don't already have a chair letter, that is.)

i only had 2 letters and got 3 categorical interviews and 2 prelim interviews so yeah you should get that other letter if you can, plus i only applied to like 10 places so that kind of hurt