Only applying to one program this year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rapunzel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Although I was considering trying to maximize my chances by applying to various related programs, including two or three at some of the same universities, and might consider that plan again next year, when I look at all of those programs I really only feel that one of them is a good fit for me right now. Honestly, when I read program details and faculty interests, etc. at the others, I struggle to try to be enthusiastic. But I'm still excited about the one program and would love to be there if they would consider me. If I don't get accepted there I'll work on my CPCI for one more year and try again next year, even though I would have to take the GRE again.

Would it help me or hurt me to mention to my POI that this is the only program I am considering for this year, even though I am aware that it may be a long shot to do it that way?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have a highly specialized research interest or something? I guess I am just wondering why only one professor in the country seems to be doing what your interested in?

Unless you have 7 publications and the professor is your brother, apply to more than one program. No one has a research interest that's that specialized, especially as an applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
i would a) apply to more than 1 program but b) if you still only apply to one, do not mention it.

I went on A LOT of interviews last year, and I can think of only one competitive applicant that applied to a small number of schools (2). everyone else applied to many, and i think that while it does not HAVE to be so, it overall speaks to the dedication, commitment, and preparedness of the applicant that they applied to several thoughtfully selected programs. Geography influenced some of the schools i applied to, and I remember debating what I would say if i was asked where else I was applying to, because i was worried my selections would not make me look focused (and indeed, overall i only got interviews at schools i was a good match with and would have applied to regardless of area). my cents!

Well, I am geographically limited, and did apply to most of the other available programs in previous years. I have talked to professors in some of the other programs, and I'm not optimistic about my chances because my research experience is limited, and I just can't see myself clicking quite well enough with the other programs. Maybe I still will give it a try, but this is the only one right now that feels like I might have a decent chance of getting in, and also is close enough (since I won't be able to relocate next year). Right now I'm feeling like my options include working for another year vs. applying to the one program that seems like a decent shot (and planning to work for another year if I don't get in) vs. getting all stressed out over programs that might not be a very good fit and would add a long or difficult commute into the mix.

Well, I am geographically limited, and did apply to most of the other available programs in previous years. I have talked to professors in some of the other programs, and I'm not optimistic about my chances because my research experience is limited, and I just can't see myself clicking quite well enough with the other programs. Maybe I still will give it a try, but this is the only one right now that feels like I might have a decent chance of getting in, and also is close enough (since I won't be able to relocate next year). Right now I'm feeling like my options include working for another year vs. applying to the one program that seems like a decent shot (and planning to work for another year if I don't get in) vs. getting all stressed out over programs that might not be a very good fit and would add a long or difficult commute into the mix.

I know several people who applied to 1 and only 1 program only to get in on the first try (not the norm, but it does happen.) If you are a good fit, go for it, you can only go to one program.

Mark

That makes good sense--if you're competitive and a good fit, you have a shot, and if you're less so for the other programs you are of course less likely to get in. Hopefully that will work out, but it sounds like you have a good game plan if it doesn't.

Best of luck!

Rapunzel, i see where you're coming from and i will send you lots of good vibes, because frankly, it only takes 1 to get in, ya know? If it's the perfect fit and you aren't too enthusiastic about any others than it's the right choice for you.

I am in a similar boat - last year i applied to 11 schools, only got 1 interview and 1 admission but i quickly realized it was NOT the school for me and turned it down. I shouldn't have applied there in the first place but only did so to increase my chances of getting in SOMEWHERE. But i realized i didn't want to settle. This year i am applying to 4 schools, all programs i LOVE with faculty i am extremely enthusiastic about.

Good luck to you!

Thanks! And the same to you also. :)