OnlineMedEd Why don't more people use this?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SAF12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got my Step II CK score back ... 264. Scored honors in every rotation shelf using solely USMLE World, OnlineMeded and MTB throughout third year. After reading this resource during my IM rotation, also my first rotation, I had other students asking me when I started fourth year and attendings agreeing that though the hospital didn't do things the way I learned that way was probably more correct. It astonishes me that this resource isnt the gold standard for clinicals and boards. I can only guess that because the notes program is new people just haven't caught on but I I am yet to come across anything that makes medicine so simple and easy to learn. Some criticize it for being too simple and I venture to say that ,rather than being simple, it is just very condensed. There have been times that I thought an answer wasn't covered only to realize it was bolded in my Onlinemeded notes but that the subject was so condensed that I glanced over it. They do that to ensure you get the most out of your time when reading it, which was much appreciated during surgery. So rather than getting through case files once during a rotation I was able to read my Onlinemeded notes 3-4x. Does it replace Uworld? As of now no it doesn't. Just like Step 1, or even more so for Step II, Uworld is still essential but no resource Ive ever seen will take you from Newbie MS3 to Clinical student extraordinar in such a short time. Overall I just felt I had to share this because without Onlinemeded I don't think I would've done nearly as well in third year or on step II and I want to pay it forward. Ive been a long time poster on SDN since my college days and I'm not an an ad man for the company.Feel free to reply about why I am right or totally wrong. If you want to check it out just google the name.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah - it's pretty awesome. At least for me though, I need to follow the video with text (usually SUTM) and then doing questions from UWorld.

The notes and extra content are a little $$$ though. But the free videos - it doesn't get any better than that. Dr Williams is a great teacher.

Couldn't agree more with OP. Hit a 270 on Step 2, and other than UWorld, no other resource came close to preparing me for shelf exams (and subsequently Step 2) as OnlineMedEd.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I discovered these videos during my step 2 study period. By that point, I found them to be somewhat redundant to uworld. The quality is great, but when the clock was ticking I just didn't feel like doing less uworld in order to do the online meded videos was a justified use of my time. Still did very well (267).

That said, I wish I had discovered them earlier and done them throughout 3rd year. It's kind of like pathoma for step 1. Best used by taking notes and going through the videos over an entire year to build a solid foundation, and then reviewing those notes as part of your step 2 study schedule.

$500 for 12 months is expensive. Especially when that's in addition to a uworld subscription. If you can afford it, great - it will make your life easier by not having to worry about a bunch of case files or pretest books throughout the year. If you don't wanna spend the money to do it 100% with notes and everything, you can still do very well with just the videos... or even without completely.

I discovered these videos during my step 2 study period. By that point, I found them to be somewhat redundant to uworld. The quality is great, but when the clock was ticking I just didn't feel like doing less uworld in order to do the online meded videos was a justified use of my time. Still did very well (267).

That said, I wish I had discovered them earlier and done them throughout 3rd year. It's kind of like pathoma for step 1. Best used by taking notes and going through the videos over an entire year to build a solid foundation, and then reviewing those notes as part of your step 2 study schedule.

$500 for 12 months is expensive. Especially when that's in addition to a uworld subscription. If you can afford it, great - it will make your life easier by not having to worry about a bunch of case files or pretest books throughout the year. If you don't wanna spend the money to do it 100% with notes and everything, you can still do very well with just the videos... or even without completely.

I agree - onlinemeded = skeleton framework of knowledge. Hammer it during 3rd year so it's down solid and build your knowledge base on top of it. As far as cost, you can pay for a month and download all the notes. The notes don't really offer anything the videos don't have except as an easier way to take notes on the videos and a quicker way to review the material in the videos

Just the videos?

Yeah, the notes/Q-bank were released about halfway through the school year, if I recall, so I didn't buy them. Like the poster above said, the videos are much better used throughout 3rd year to build a solid base knowledge than during dedicated Step 2 study time. I can't speak for the pay material, but I'm sure it's solid. Watched all videos twice (watched IM the 2nd time during my family med rotation). Thought IM, surgery, and OB/GYN videos were particularly great.

I used it through my medicine clerkship and didn't find it helpful at all for the shelf. Actually a few things he said wouldn't be tested or "you don't have to choose between these on the test" were tested or were choices on the test (e.g. cipro vs bactrim vs macrobid in a simple UTI without allergies or drug interactions). I guess I did something wrong. Hopefully the vids/notes will be more helpful for the other shelfs.

If I'm taking CK in 2 1/2 months, is it worth watching the videos or would the notes by themselves be adequate? I would be using UWorld and MTB also.
Any input is greatly appreciated.

Just got my Step II CK score back ... 264. Scored honors in every rotation shelf using solely USMLE World, OnlineMeded and MTB throughout third year. After reading this resource during my IM rotation, also my first rotation, I had other students asking me when I started fourth year and attendings agreeing that though the hospital didn't do things the way I learned that way was probably more correct. It astonishes me that this resource isnt the gold standard for clinicals and boards. I can only guess that because the notes program is new people just haven't caught on but I I am yet to come across anything that makes medicine so simple and easy to learn. Some criticize it for being too simple and I venture to say that ,rather than being simple, it is just very condensed. There have been times that I thought an answer wasn't covered only to realize it was bolded in my Onlinemeded notes but that the subject was so condensed that I glanced over it. They do that to ensure you get the most out of your time when reading it, which was much appreciated during surgery. So rather than getting through case files once during a rotation I was able to read my Onlinemeded notes 3-4x. Does it replace Uworld? As of now no it doesn't. Just like Step 1, or even more so for Step II, Uworld is still essential but no resource Ive ever seen will take you from Newbie MS3 to Clinical student extraordinar in such a short time. Overall I just felt I had to share this because without Onlinemeded I don't think I would've done nearly as well in third year or on step II and I want to pay it forward. Ive been a long time poster on SDN since my college days and I'm not an an ad man for the company.Feel free to reply about why I am right or totally wrong. If you want to check it out just google the name.

Hi there! I know I'm replying to this quite late but I had a couple questions for you if that's cool. I'm an M3 and I had taken time off for personal reasons and I will be starting with Internal Medicine in a week. I'm just curious and intrigued as you said you only used 3 resources for the whole year and honored everything and got a great Step 2 score!

1) For OnlineMeded, did you have a paid subscription? Besides the videos and notes, did you use the other features like their clinical scenarios and their question bank? Or did you use just UWorld for your question bank? or both?
2) For Online Meded, there is no set of videos for Internal Medicine so which groups of videos did you use?
3) I had seen some other resources like Osmosis which give you a schedule to use so that you can study effectively. Does OnlineMeded offer anything like that?

I appreciate any feedback! Thank you!

Hi there! I know I'm replying to this quite late but I had a couple questions for you if that's cool. I'm an M3 and I had taken time off for personal reasons and I will be starting with Internal Medicine in a week. I'm just curious and intrigued as you said you only used 3 resources for the whole year and honored everything and got a great Step 2 score!

1) For OnlineMeded, did you have a paid subscription? Besides the videos and notes, did you use the other features like their clinical scenarios and their question bank? Or did you use just UWorld for your question bank? or both?
2) For Online Meded, there is no set of videos for Internal Medicine so which groups of videos did you use?
3) I had seen some other resources like Osmosis which give you a schedule to use so that you can study effectively. Does OnlineMeded offer anything like that?

2) you use all of the body system videos that arent OBGYN/Peds/Surgery. seems like a lot, but compared to MTB or Step Up to Medicine it is way easier.
3) OME does not have a schedule like Osmosis does.

I'm a third year using onlinemeded, thought I would weigh in on your questions.

If you create an account you get access to all of the videos. Once you have an account, you also get access to the resources tab, which includes a calendar that gives you a breakdown of recommended videos per clerkship. They don't have an option to schedule everything in your dashboard and have it remind you directly, but you can take a 2 or 3 month IM clerkship and break it down by day as to what video you should be watching, and when.

I paid for a subscription. As others have said, you can pay and download the notes and audio all in a month or two if you want. I paid for the year (got a discount through my school), and have been very thankful that I did. I bought in to their method of learning: read the notes, watch the video (taking notes), take the relevant qbank questions, then do flashcards in two days. I also bought the quicktables book and use that to take notes in. I draw out his algorithms on post-its and fold them over on the margins of my quicktables book so I get both sides used (without tearing off in my bag). The book itself is a condensed version of the notes and lectures, but doesn't include the algorithms drawn out. If you want to save some money, I would buy the quicktables book and get the notes via a month or two subscription. I think those are by far the most important paid resources that they offer. The qbank is designed for learning, meaning the questions are often extraordinarily specific and difficult. Definitely not a replacement for UWorld, but a good supplement for learning and reinforcing the information as you watch the videos. The qbank and flashcards are nice for my way of learning but may not be for everyone.

All of that said, the videos are the most necessary part of onlinemeded. You could easily take notes on post-its and put those into a copy of Master the Boards/your favorite boards book and successfully integrate what Dr. Williams teaches into your studying.

I can't speak to the clinical cases much. I've used a couple, but it's been many months since I've done any. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I'm a third year using onlinemeded, thought I would weigh in on your questions.

If you create an account you get access to all of the videos. Once you have an account, you also get access to the resources tab, which includes a calendar that gives you a breakdown of recommended videos per clerkship. They don't have an option to schedule everything in your dashboard and have it remind you directly, but you can take a 2 or 3 month IM clerkship and break it down by day as to what video you should be watching, and when.

I paid for a subscription. As others have said, you can pay and download the notes and audio all in a month or two if you want. I paid for the year (got a discount through my school), and have been very thankful that I did. I bought in to their method of learning: read the notes, watch the video (taking notes), take the relevant qbank questions, then do flashcards in two days. I also bought the quicktables book and use that to take notes in. I draw out his algorithms on post-its and fold them over on the margins of my quicktables book so I get both sides used (without tearing off in my bag). The book itself is a condensed version of the notes and lectures, but doesn't include the algorithms drawn out. If you want to save some money, I would buy the quicktables book and get the notes via a month or two subscription. I think those are by far the most important paid resources that they offer. The qbank is designed for learning, meaning the questions are often extraordinarily specific and difficult. Definitely not a replacement for UWorld, but a good supplement for learning and reinforcing the information as you watch the videos. The qbank and flashcards are nice for my way of learning but may not be for everyone.

All of that said, the videos are the most necessary part of onlinemeded. You could easily take notes on post-its and put those into a copy of Master the Boards/your favorite boards book and successfully integrate what Dr. Williams teaches into your studying.

I can't speak to the clinical cases much. I've used a couple, but it's been many months since I've done any. Let me know if you have any other questions.

@PianoMedic and how has this worked out so far for you throughout the year?

@PianoMedic and how has this worked out so far for you throughout the year?
Wall of text incoming, sorry...
I'm a DO student, so can't give you shelf scores, just what the COMAT's I've taken so far have been(on psych now).

Gen Surg: 129 (also used Pestana's and UWorld for this)
OB/GYN: 110 (also read all of Case Files OB/GYN and UWorld)
IM: 109 (Did some UWorld, but nowhere near enough. I was very lazy and didn't finish Rheum or Neuro in OME before the COMAT, either. This COMAT also had a TON of Step 1 material like renal histology type questions which I suck at.)
Emergency Medicine: 129 (OME not used here)
Peds: 123 (OME + ~100 UW questions, also some UpToDate)
Psych: 114 (OME + ~150 UW questions, all of COMBANK COMAT Psych Qs)

For reference, average on COMAT is set to 100, 80 is considered passing at my school and 110 for honors. My understanding is each 10 points is 1 standard deviation.
Taking Step 2 and Level 2 this summer. I did use other resources in addition to OnlineMedEd (OME), but all of my primary learning came from OME.

The outlier for all of these is EM, as OME doesn't have an EM video set and I plan on doing EM (so I was very motivated to study). I used Rosh Review for questions , and read some of Case Files EM and some of EM Secrets. My EM rotation also immediately followed my IM rotation and after the other really important rotations for that specific COMAT.

For Psych, I'll probably be only using OME and UWorld. I'll update this once I have it taken and results in.

OME has been the best resource I've used in medical school. For reference: I hated First Aid for Step 1 and didn't make it through the whole thing. Pathoma and Goljan audio are the only things that were remotely close to OME in usefulness for me. The difference that OME makes for me isn't just the results on my COMAT's, but also on the wards/clinics. OME gives you a solid foundation of knowledge that you then can build more advanced knowledge upon. Clinical medicine is lots of nuance and treating the patient in front of you. Knowing what is classic, how to work it up and treat it if the patient is presenting classically is what OME does better than anyone. Then you add nuance as you progress in your career. But I'm guessing you're more interested in how the paid content affected my scores?

The paid content I use for every video is the notes, the questions, the QuickTables and the flashcards. All of my notes go into the QuickTables and if you only buy one thing, buy that. The notes provide a textbook to pre-read before the videos, the questions test your knowledge after you watch, the flashcards remind you of the content in two days (and can be set to be done in other increments including 7, 14, 30 days). Then the QuickTables can be intermixed for review or used as your book for studying later.

Does it replace UWorld? No. The questions aren't similar. If you learn by just doing questions, UWorld might be enough for you to do well. I learn with questions, but I need a little more than what UWorld teaches. OME fills that gap VERY well for me. Case Files (or other book series) fills that gap well for other people, and is my go to if I have extra time or need a little more help on that subject. I think it replaces any other paid video source. DIT, Kaplan, whatever. Everything in OME is extremely succinct and designed to make you a better physician. It's cheaper than the other video programs, but more expensive than standalone qbanks or flashcard programs. So you have to weigh it for yourself: How do you learn best? What parts would you find most useful? The different learning modalities they offer were a perfect fit for me, and I knew that walking in. I could get by without the paid content. But after having used it, I wouldn't want to.

Updated with all COMAT scores.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
OME is working towards more and more monetization of their resources, but the free videos are great. They will not teach you test-taking skills, which is actually the most important factor in Step 2 CK success in my experience.

Alright, I'll say it.

OME isnt great. I don't even think it's that good, it's just the only thing third years have.

The notes are messy, the lectures are bare bones, and the concepts found in the questions half the time aren't in the lectures or notes. The flashcards are a waste of time, and are incredibly easy.

This entire lovefest leads me to believe theres a few paid sponsors on SDN, because theres no way in hell everyone is doing so well using this mediocre resource alone.

Reactions: 3 users
Alright, I'll say it.

OME isnt great. I don't even think it's that good, it's just the only thing third years have.

The notes are messy, the lectures are bare bones, and the concepts found in the questions half the time aren't in the lectures or notes. The flashcards are a waste of time, and are incredibly easy.

This entire lovefest leads me to believe theres a few paid sponsors on SDN, because theres no way in hell everyone is doing so well using this mediocre resource alone.

I hoestly don’t get it. I can only speak for the lectures which I really enjoyed but found them way to simple and missing a ton of info. I focused mainly on online meded for my FM shelf and scored wayyy below average. I started doing better after MTB and UW and there’s not enough time for those and onlinemeded. Imo it’s a good resource as a baseline if you have time but I can’t for the life of me understand how it could take someone to the next level. If anything it’s a nice quick review but I dont see how it could be a main factor for someone scoring well on shelves or step 2.

It’s ok at best. His pds are decent as are the flash cards. The questions are bogus and often conflict w uworld or UpToDate. He doesn’t source his information but just puts stuff like “aha gotcha” on explanations. Some are arguably flat out wrong and I feel like I wasted a lot of time cross referencing his stuff since he doesn’t source it. His videos are as bland as cornflakes

Uworld is better along with a clerkship specific book

If you don't mind me asking, what is the Honors cutoff at your school?